Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding registration

Question regarding registration

When the time comes (soon I hope),how do I register my car at the DMV? I know the process,but since my car doesn't look like a Fiero anymore, will it be registered as a Fiero or a Kit-car? The VIN number is Fiero, but the body is not. I'd just like to know what to expect from the DMV before I go in. When I bought the car, I registered it in my name, and paid all the fees. It has current tags on the plate, which I have here at home. My plan was to just attach the plate when the car is done so I can drive it home.
    Is this something I even have to worry about? The car is paid off, the registration is current, and it passed smog for the registration. If I never decided to re-body the car, I would be driving it right now with no issues- everything legal. Did changing the body open up a can of worms? If so, how do I deal it?
    Without talent experience is worthless

Re: Question regarding registration

In NY you just slap them plates on! If you bought a kit car you just go to the dmv with a title and you register it and slap plates on. It will be registered as whatever is on the title, I would advise letting your insurance company know that you are driving a highly modified car and you want proper coverage to protect your investment. Yes they may charge you more but if the car is totaled stolen or catches fire you will be happy you were upfront! It would suck to get a $500.00 check for the price of a fiero!

Edit: Also be prepared to get pulled over a lot! If you drive the car everyday, you will probably get stopped at least once a week! Hopefully it's not a rookie that will pull you out at gunpoint for a possible stolen auto!

Every state handles this differently. Here in Ohio the current deal is if the frame and corresponding VIN plates have not been cut or modified the car remains the same. My Superstepside Truck was referred to by the state of Ohio as a 1990 Chevy Caprice with a "styling kit." I was indeed stopped by our local police when I was doing some, ahem... power tuning on the motor. He just checked my dash Vin plate and I showed him my "build book" which I always kept in the truck. He said eveything checked out, he really liked the truck, watch my speed and have a nice day. (Whew! I had just slowed from 100 when he hit me with radar.)
    I just finished up my Finale kit on a 86 Fiero GT with the 3800 SCII in it last summer. Again this is considered a styling kit with VIN numbers intact. As for insurance what I do is inform my insurance agent of car before I do the build and get full insurance then when I'm done get an agreed upon cash valuation on the whole car.
    Just a tip here, with the complexity and quality of build you're doing here I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND you keep a "build book" with you. It could save you a lot of time on the side of the road waiting for some rookie patrolman to call in your info. Make sure some of the pictures you take have you in the pic.s.

Mercie...

I took this directly from the California DMV website

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcnsreg.htm

Registration Requirements for Home-Made, Specially Constructed, or Kit Vehicles

A "home-made, specially constructed, or kit vehicle" is a vehicle that is built for private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer. These vehicles may be built from a kit, new or used parts, a combination of new and used parts, or a vehicle reported for dismantling (junked) that, when reconstructed, does not resemble the original make of the vehicle that was dismantled.

A specially constructed vehicle (SPCNS) does not include a vehicle that has been repaired or restored to its original design by replacing parts or a vehicle modified from its original design.

Example: A Volkswagen "Beetle" with modified fenders, engine compartment lid, and front end, but still recognizable as a Volkswagen is not considered a specially constructed vehicle.

NOTE: The registration requirements for kit commercial vehicles are the same as for specially constructed vehicles.

The Registration Requirements are:

* A completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343).
    * A vehicle verification done by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). You must start your application process with the DMV prior to contacting the CHP for a vehicle verification. DMV verifies trailers with an unladen weight of 6,000 pounds or less.
    * A completed Statement of Construction (REG 5036).
    * Proof of ownership, such as invoices, receipts, manufacturers’ certificates of origin, bills of sale, or junk receipts for the major component parts (engine, frame, transmission, and body).

NOTE: A motor vehicle bond is required when proof of ownership cannot be obtained for parts valued a $5,000 or more.
    * Official brake and light adjustment certificates. When an official brake and light station that inspects specific vehicles such as motorcycles and large commercial vehicles is not located within a reasonable distance, DMV will accept a Statement of Facts (REG 256) from a repair shop attesting that the brakes and lights are in proper working order. Brake and light certificates are not required for off-highway vehicles or trailers weighing less than 3,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.
    * A weight certificate for commercial vehicles weighing 10,000 pounds or less.
    * An emission control inspection (smog check) by a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee Station. Click here for information on SPCNS Certificates of Sequence . To make an appointment at a BAR Referee Station, call 1-800-622-7733.
    * All fees due.
    * Visit your local DMV to begin the application process, make anappointment for faster service.

That sounds like a headache! Can you change the name of the vehicle being registered? It may be best just to keep everything hush hush!

What state are you in?Just register it, as your doner car (I asume a Fiero).Keep a few photos and receipts under the seat,in case you get pulled over,shouldn't be a problem.The body is nothing but a shell or skin,the vin is stamped on the chassie (nothing Illegal).Might be a little more dificult with a tublar frame.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Unfortunately, i'm in CA. Probably the worse state for this kind of thing( it is for everything else!)

Where in Ca, are you.. I would like to see your work in person... I'm in Monterey..

yes unfortunately it's a pain to register it, and an equally big one to insure the car. make sure you do some good research on insurance too because you cant just insure a "specially constructed vehicle" since it has no specific value.

if the frame is mostly fiero, you CAN keep it regged as the same fiero regardless of how it looks. theres advantages and disadvantages to doing this since it makes insuring the car easy and cheap but you may get only a couple grand if someone totals it, being "a fiero".
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Quote Originally Posted by STIQUE
    Where in Ca, are you.. I would like to see your work in person... I'm in Monterey..
    I'm just north (20 miles or so) of L.A., in Chatsworth.
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoMX
    yes unfortunately it's a pain to register it, and an equally big one to insure the car. make sure you do some good research on insurance too because you cant just insure a "specially constructed vehicle" since it has no specific value.

if the frame is mostly fiero, you CAN keep it regged as the same fiero regardless of how it looks. theres advantages and disadvantages to doing this since it makes insuring the car easy and cheap but you may get only a couple grand if someone totals it, being "a fiero".
    Couldn't you insure the car for more than what they determine its worth(Fiero) if you are willing to pay the extra premium? Also, if the accident is not your fault, and the other guy really racks up your car, isn't his insurance going to have to pay to fix your car whether it has a Fiero body on it, or a Murcie kit body? Or are they just going to pay you as if it were a Fiero, and then you have to sue him for the additional costs? That doesn't seem right to me, especially here in CA. where just about everybody has custom wheels and paint and AV systems and trims etc etc etc.