Thread: '88 control arm replacement and WS6 steering question

'88 control arm replacement and WS6 steering question

Hi, I have a 1988 notchback that I'm getting roadworthy and will eventually will rebody.

I've heard that the control arms being stamped tend to flex and aren't able to really be adjusted all that well during a front-end alignment. I remember there used to be suppliers of tubular control arms but haven't found any left out there yet. What is a good replacement today? I've also heard good and bad about coilovers. Any opinions? I have most of the other parts I need - beefier anti-sway bars, urethane bushings, lowering springs (1").

Also, is the WS6 performance rack-and-pinion a direct bolt in replacement for the standard? Any "gotchas" I ought to be aware of?

I'm leaning toward a F430, F355 or F360 body kit. I saw some great pics of interiors on this site for those models. Although not ready for that yet, are there any recommendations for reasonably authentic looking interiors?

Thanks,
    Bob

Re: '88 control arm replacement and WS6 steering question

hi firebot and welcome to the forum.

The 88's do have the best suspension as a stock Fiero goes. I would recommend that you decide what kit you want to build before you but new a-frames this way you can get them to the length you need. Held motorsports (http://www.heldmotorsports.com/) sells the control arms and a lot of other parts.

if you are looking to build a Ferrari 355 or 360 the Air Dynamics is the way to go. John is very trustworthy and his work is top notch!

Amida on this site makes the best interior out there bar none... the only way to get one better is to use original parts!!

Thanks for the info... I'm going to have to spend a lot of time reading through the posts here. I bought my '88 in 1993 and drove it daily until 1996. I took it off the road to start prepping it for a rebody (at that time I liked the Corson) in 1996. Life got in the way and here I am now, getting ready to ressurect the project but since the Corson is no longer available, I have to start looking again.

The one that first caught my eye for the 355 is www.CoolCustomCars.com. Anyone know how they compare to Air Dynamics?

Thanks,
    Bob

There is also a Fiero forum http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/fiero/Ul...i?action=intro where there do everything imaginable with a fiero....

As for the 355, if you are in the US then I would highly recommend the AD355 kit. He offers it in coupe or spider version. I do not personally know or seen the work of coolcustomcars so i can't help you there. I can tell you that the AD kit is well worth the money.

When dialed in the 88 Fiero is a good handling car. I have two 88 GTs. One built with an AD355 kit and a stock GT. The stock 88 GT is my daily driver and getting the front aligned can be tricky. The issue is NOT with the car, but the "people" who do the alignments. In the front end the toe and camber angles are easy to adjust. The castor is more tricky. The castor should be 5 degrees, but what happens is most of the cheep alignment shops mess up or just plain give up on the castor and then lie. They will come up with all kinds of stories about how it is not possible or that you need new parts. What they are not telling you is that they gave up because it will take more time to get it right.

I forgot to mention that the 84 and 88 Fieros are not recommended for kits. The 84 just have problems and have weird wiring. If you are going to use a kit that keeps the stock wheel base and A-Arm width, then an 88 is a no brainer. The 88s have better front and rear suspension and vented brakes. If you the kit you are going to use needs any change to the suspension, then you negate the benefits. If I had to build my kit again, I would go for an 87. They are cheeper, have the updated headlight wiring and are easier to find suspension components for.