Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pontiac G6 6 speed in a Fiero

Pontiac G6 6 speed in a Fiero

I came across an article about using a Pontiac G6 6 speed in a Fiero. I thought is was a great idea since a brand new G6 in Ebay is going for under 500.00. Then I went to V-8 Archieís site and found the Adapter kit they offer is over 5 grand. That sure took the wind out of my sails.

Can anyone shed some light as to how to do this conversion cheaper? Say by several thousand???

Re: Pontiac G6 6 speed in a Fiero

MacGyver,

I read a few things over at the Feiro forum where you can get most of the parts needed from the donor and then have to buy much less parts. You will need the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate to match your engine and the axles will need to be custom built. I was thinking of doing this conversion with an alum. 4.9 caddi V8.... Archie has an economy kit for 1700 or something like that... still expensive in my mind...

It would sure be nice to have a "new" manual tranny swap for the Fiero but I don't see where the G6 is that great of a transmission. From what I've read and the guys I've talked to that have done this your first gear is just about useless and 6th gear is still turning a lot of rev.s. Another point of concern is torque load. Even a stock 3800SC is at about the torque limit of that transmission. Modding that motor or worse going v8, NStar, whatever, is going to present even more torque. I'd rather just stick with my 4T65e-HD auto behind my 3800SC than take a chance with that tranny.

The reason Archie's kit is so expensive is because he uses a lot of new OEM parts. For example, the intermediate axle and inner CV joints, which have a size and spline that is only used on the F35 and F40 trans, when I priced them from GM were nearly $1000 for just those three pieces. It also requires a custom flywheel due to the way the internal throw out bearing is arranged. They can be swapped into a Fiero for less than what the kit goes for, but most people agree it's not worth the trouble. I've heard the 6 speed has already been discontinued after just ~3 years in the G6, which makes the parts harder to find in salvage yards.

Thanks for all the info guys. Now that I see all thatís involved I see the G6 is not such a good idea. I suppose Iíll stick with my original plan, a 5sp Getrag with a 3800.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    Thanks for all the info guys. Now that I see all thatís involved I see the G6 is not such a good idea. I suppose Iíll stick with my original plan, a 5sp Getrag with a 3800.
    Would you be interested in my 3800/5-Speed. The engine was new when installed, the computer is set up for a 5-speed. I have driven the car for the past 3 years with this set up without problems. I am thinking of using a Northstar with automatic.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Holy Smokes Dave!!!

Why not try to enjoy the car and drive it around for a bit before tearing it apart again...... ;D

You have a PM......

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Just adding my two cents. The other reason the kit is so high is because it includes the G6 tranny. His price is $1800. If you buy from ebay for under $500 you can ask him to omit it when you order the kit. Then the kit will run you a little over $4000.

I requested a quote for the 6 speed kit and a ls1 kit. I can forward it to you if you want. It has the price break down of every part.

Quote Originally Posted by cyanides
    Just adding my two cents. The other reason the kit is so high is because it includes the G6 tranny. His price is $1800. If you buy from ebay for under $500 you can ask him to omit it when you order the kit. Then the kit will run you a little over $4000.

I requested a quote for the 6 speed kit and a ls1 kit. I can forward it to you if you want. It has the price break down of every part.
    Sure, send it along. I appreciate the offer.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyWheels
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    Would you be interested in my 3800/5-Speed. The engine was new when installed, the computer is set up for a 5-speed. I have driven the car for the past 3 years with this set up without problems. I am thinking of using a Northstar with automatic.

Dave
    Dave,
    I know you talked about changing your setup a while back. If you really plan on doing that. I would certainly have an interest. Iíll give you a ring and weíll talk about it.