Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My F-40 Build

My F-40 Build

I have owned a Ferrari F-40 kit for about 5 years now and am finally to a point financially that I can begin to build it. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about the hinges to use to hang the rear deck (hatch).

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Marc

Re: F-40 Rear Hatch Hinge

Marc I can't help with the hinges but good luck with your build and keep us posted!

Thanks, I will.

show us pictures of what your working with, and rename this thread (if possible) to MY F40 BUILD! that way you will have a LOT more people come and offer idea's and tips. There are a few F40 build guys on the forum, just making a thread per problem or task doesnt warrant much help and clutters the threads. Just an idea, oh and POST A LOT OF PICS!

Good luck!

Re: My F-40 Build

Thanks for the tips lowboost. Title changed. I did do a search before I posted and no results showed up. I will try to add pics in a few hours.

Thanks for the help.

Marc

I will be watching your build with interest. I am still going through the agony of trying to get my F 40 to Mazatlan, Mexico. The import tax keeps escalating- now up to $15,000, as it is titled as a Ferrari. Good luck! Steve

Good luck - nice to see another F40 going together. My rear clip is probably differently hinged than yours -it's extended to a seperate rollbar to look more like the original F40. I have heard of guys using barn door style hinges though.

My F40 thread - http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/056827.html

For tough, high stregnth hinges, I usually ending up building my own. In your case you want the rear hatch to clear the top. Taking some thick wall 1/4" ID pipe, 2" long. Slice it into three equal parts, and weld to 2" X1/8 flat stock. This way you can bend anything you want (usually with a 'C shape) and drill mounting points. use round stock for the pin and tack on one side. Home depot style hinges don't cut it, too weak and usually not closed in so over time the pin will come loose. Don't feel comfortable with your skills or maybe you don't have ther right tools to make 90 degree cuts, you can try McMaster Carr. Great source of all kinds of kit car building goodies. They also have an assortment of gas shocks as well in any # weight and most lengths to get exactly what'll fit your engine bay. They are on the web and everything in the 3" thick catalog is on the internet. Order a catalog at least, you will be fascinated with the things they can provide. http://www.mcmaster.com/ Eric

Thanks for the replies. I am still working on getting some pictures up. Right now I have the kit pieces in the backyard and a striped fiero in the garage.

Man ferrobi, your's looks extremely nice. I saw the rear clip open on page 1 and again on page 3. It was hard to see the hinge. If you get a chance can you take a closer picture of it for me. Right now I have no hinge at all so don't worry about your's being different than mine.

FerrariXXXman, the first thing I did was go to a hardware store to look at their hinges. I was worried they might be too weak. Making the hinges sounds like a good idea. I just wasn't sure how to go about it. Your recommedation sounds easy enough to follow. I just ordered a catalog.

To everyone so far thanks for all the input and encouragement.

Marc

ferrobi came! thats who I'd hope to chime in.