Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Tires for Countach

Rear Tires for Countach

I currently have the correct rear tires on my car. Pirelli 345/35/R15. However they are getting harder to come by and at about $510.00 each not including the mounting and balancing.
    I was told that Yokohama produces a tire the same size but I've gone to several dealers and have had no luck. It could be that it's not listed under the same size as the Pirelli. Can any one help me with the correct listing if it still existes?

Re: Rear Tires for Countach

Rare tires indead - my F40 kit had 315/40/16's on rear and I ended up having to buy new rear rims that are 17" with readily available 335/35/17 tires that many tire company's make.

As far as I know Yokohama no longer produces that tire (no demand). Unfortunately for our wallets P-zeros are the only ones now.

I was afraid of that!!! I guess I'm just gonna have to spring for another set of pirelli's to have on hand. I really don't want to change my rims since I have the correct rims for the car. Thanks for the feed back. :'(

This issue is one of the reasons I am going with 'incorrect' 19" wheels on my F40. It will become harder to find wide tires in the 15, 16, and I am afraid 17" in a few years. Where as the 19s should still be plentiful and they will be (honestly) cheaper. The flip side with bigger wheels I can justify it as an 'updated' look. To bad the market is smaller for those 'accurate' sizes.

michael
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

Honestly I think all of those Corvettes made in the 90's will keep the wide 17" diameter tire market in good standing for many years to come. Right now there are 7 different manufacturers that produce a 315/35/17 tire. The problem with the 345/35/15 is that it was primarily made for one car, the Countach, about 1800 cars total. Now thatís what I call low demand (hence the very high price). Compare this to the Corvettes using the 315/35/17 (a little under 14,000 cars). I think we will run out of oil before readily available wide 17" tires

Don't forget the Pantara!

But it's not like they made a ton of those either....

Kevin

Oh, and I found these, and are supposed to be the same as metric 335/35/15, not 345/35/15, and they are bias ply, and not any cheaper!

http://store.coker.com/prod/2961-15-...15-course.html

Kevin

I was able to find a set close width wise and rim size in the Mickey Thompson's but the diameter is larger so they may create a problem
    and rub inside the fender well during hard bumps.

If you ar speaking of the Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R Radials, part number MTT-6654, I pondered on them myself.
    They are supposed to be 26 inches tall, 12 inch section width, and fit the 15 inch wheel.
    I did bite the bullet, and got the Pirelli's. Unmounted, they measure 24 and 5/8 inches tall, with a 13 and 3/4 inch width!
    If/when the Pirelli's become unavailable in the future, I was looking at trying the Mickey's. I thinking, they are not too much taller, and I have adjustable rear coil-overs. I'm sure they would look better, then say the 295/50/15.

Just my thoughts.

Kevin