Thread: Fiero chassis and drive train opinions and recommendations

Fiero chassis and drive train opinions and recommendations

Without having to reinvent the wheel. I just wanted to ask all of your opinions before starting my build.

I've been spending a lot of time reading through different Fiero based builds you folks have posted here on the forum. Many have different views and opinions as to what is the better road to take in regards to suspension upgrades, brakes, power plants and etc.

I have a relatively empty garage and ready to start this project. I have decided that I am defiantly going with the 5 speed Getrag with a 3400 or a 3800. So here are my questions.

What chasses should I look for?

Is their that much difference going with an 88 vs an 85-87? Since I'll be changing the suspension in regards to lowering it and etc.

The biggest question is, does it really matter of I come accross a relatively low mile Fiero with a standard that has a 4 banger vs a 6 banger. How about a 4 speed vs a 5 speed? Is their anything I need to be concerned with other than changing the shift cables to use the Getrag?

Also, I find that their seem to be a lot of automatics out their instead of standards. Especially the lower mileage ones. Other than changing the pedal assembly. Which I would think shouldn't be too difficult. Is their any other major issues I should be concerned with?

All your help would be deeply appreciated. I want to pick up a Fiero soon and get this project underway.

MacGyver

Re: Fiero chassis and drive train opinions and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    Without having to reinvent the wheel. I just wanted to ask all of your opinions before starting my build.

I've been spending a lot of time reading through different Fiero based builds you folks have posted here on the forum. Many have different views and opinions as to what is the better road to take in regards to suspension upgrades, brakes, power plants and etc.

I have a relatively empty garage and ready to start this project. I have decided that I am defiantly going with the 5 speed Getrag with a 3400 or a 3800. So here are my questions.

What chasses should I look for?

Is their that much difference going with an 88 vs an 85-87? Since I'll be changing the suspension in regards to lowering it and etc.

The biggest question is, does it really matter of I come accross a relatively low mile Fiero with a standard that has a 4 banger vs a 6 banger. How about a 4 speed vs a 5 speed? Is their anything I need to be concerned with other than changing the shift cables to use the Getrag?

Also, I find that their seem to be a lot of automatics out their instead of standards. Especially the lower mileage ones. Other than changing the pedal assembly. Which I would think shouldn't be too difficult. Is their any other major issues I should be concerned with?

All your help would be deeply appreciated. I want to pick up a Fiero soon and get this project underway.

MacGyver
    MacGyver,
    Asking for engine choices is like asking what everyone's favorite flavor of ice cream is... you will get many different answers, which may or may not help you. Personally I would pick either the 3800 or a 4.9 caddi V8. Both are well documented and are easy to install with a 5-speed. If you go with the 4.9, you will probably want to use an isuzu tranny as it is geared better.

As for the Chassis, any year will work but I would stay away from the 84's if possible. Also unless you come across a cheap 88, any year is good. Just dont pay extra for an 88 especially if you are replacing the suspension. If you are replacing most of the mechanicals anyway, mileage does really matter. I would suggest that you buy one that has at least the options you want. If you want AC get one that has it in it and the same goes for a standard.

I paid 130 for a non running 86 SE. Find one that has the parts you want and is in good shape.

Mileage doesn't scare me as much on Fieros as condition (rust especially). Also, as mentioned get it with the stuff you really want. I took a little different route when I built my Fiero/Finale car. I found a California car with high miles (super clean chassis and mechanicals) that already had the 3800SC II motor with matching 4T65-HD tranny in it. Body was sun faded, cracked here and there, rough interior, but come on, already having the engine conversion done saved me between $3000 and $9000 and knocked between 100 and 300 hours off my build. Car even had the Grand Am brake upgrade and newer wheels. Deals like this are out there. By the way you might re-think keeping that Getrag 5 speed if you are going 3800 or even the 4.9. Both of these motors produce a lot of torque, one missed/slammed shift and somethings got to give. It's usually the tranny.

I missed a shift one time and the torque from my 3800 twisted the ears off of my Getrag. I would recomend using a very stout brace similar to what Archie uses on his engine conversions.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.