Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simulated Carbon Fiber and other laminates

Simulated Carbon Fiber and other laminates

Simulated Carbon Fiber and other laminates

I came across this from an old thread. Simulated Carbon Fiber using water transfer. Has anyone tried this method? Does anyone know what’s involved in doing this and how good it looks in real life?

I could think of some great applications for this stuff.

Http://alsacorp.com/index.htm

Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Simulated Carbon Fiber and other laminates

in that picture it looks good, YET, in person it would be a dead give away. Looking at the wheel with me, you see the pattern, well its all wrong, any real carbon fiber wheel would have different patterns. Also factor in if you must have this laminate that it will chip, I'd had to see you made fun of because your carbon fiber is pealing and you see metal or plastic behind it...

If you've got relatively simple surfaces to do. There's an even easier way to achieve the carbon fiber look. You simply spray a dead flat background. Next go to Harbor Freight and pick up what is called Non Slip Tool Box Liner or in larger sheets it's sold as Non Slip Truck Bed Mat. You can find it at Home Depot or Lowes as that non slip gripper mat that goes under area rugs and carpets. After you've got your black background you lay the mat over the surface and airbrush (dusting strokes) through it with a white pearl or even a white pearl with a micro flake added to it. Pull up the mat when done and clear coat. Poof! Instant carbon fiber. The mats are even a little different in patterning that you can get different styles and also criss cross the mat a time or two for a more exotic look. Would I attempt it on a wheel like that? Probably not, but I did a rather shaped air cleaner for the kid a couple of streets over. None of his buddies have figured out that it's not carbon fiber, he swore me to secrecy! I buried that thing in PPG's 2021 clear.

Quote Originally Posted by lowboost
    in that picture it looks good, YET, in person it would be a dead give away. Looking at the wheel with me, you see the pattern, well its all wrong, any real carbon fiber wheel would have different patterns. Also factor in if you must have this laminate that it will chip, I'd had to see you made fun of because your carbon fiber is pealing and you see metal or plastic behind it...
    My thought was more in the way of small accents for an interior. Console, ac vents and etc. I don't think it would get much wear and tear in areas like that. with a few coats of clear I would think it would hold up as good as any good paint job.

That stuff looks great! It would be perfect for the grab handle on the center console of the Murcielago.
    I'm also gonna try the tool box liner trick on some stuff to see how it looks.
    Without talent experience is worthless

Quote Originally Posted by DarrelK
    If you've got relatively simple surfaces to do. There's an even easier way to achieve the carbon fiber look. You simply spray a dead flat background. Next go to Harbor Freight and pick up what is called Non Slip Tool Box Liner or in larger sheets it's sold as Non Slip Truck Bed Mat. You can find it at Home Depot or Lowes as that non slip gripper mat that goes under area rugs and carpets. After you've got your black background you lay the mat over the surface and airbrush (dusting strokes) through it with a white pearl or even a white pearl with a micro flake added to it. Pull up the mat when done and clear coat. Poof! Instant carbon fiber. The mats are even a little different in patterning that you can get different styles and also criss cross the mat a time or two for a more exotic look. Would I attempt it on a wheel like that? Probably not, but I did a rather shaped air cleaner for the kid a couple of streets over. None of his buddies have figured out that it's not carbon fiber, he swore me to secrecy! I buried that thing in PPG's 2021 clear.
    DarrelK,

I would love to see any picts you may have from using this method. Sounds doable. Especially if you have picts of the air box. Still playing around with ideas for an air box for my build. Was the box you made fiberglass or sheet metal?

michael
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrelK
    I think I have a roll of that liner stuff I never used for anything. I'll have to give it a try and see how it looks. Thanks for the idea!

DjGolden used CF film on his dash in his cool F50 replica, I thought it looked pretty cool. I think he sold it some time ago.

x

Darn, took my camera over to the kid that I did the faux carbon fiber thing and he had traded the car for a truck at a swap meet! And yes, it was made of fiberglass. I am actually planning on doing part of my door jambs this way in the next week or two. I'll try to do a step by step when doing it. I've got some holographic silver flake that I think I'll add to the white. If you guys want to experiement with dry pearls and flakes I highly recommend www.paintwithpearl.com Prices are dirt cheap and the quality of the stuff is great, not much different from HOK stuff.