Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question... What engine & Exhaust will sound most like the original V-12...

Question... What engine & Exhaust will sound most like the original V-12...

Hi guys, I will be having a Murci replica built for me soon. I am still undecided on the Fiero chassis or the tube chassis still.

What I was wondering is (I am not an engine expert in any means) if I was looking for an engine that will put out 400Hp ... what engine replacement would be best recommended and with what exhaust to sound most like the real deal?

And with that what chassis would you all recommend to go along with it?

I look forward to all your responses.

Regards,

MURCenary 8)

Re: Question... What engine & Exhaust will sound most like the original V-12...

If you can afford it then i would say tube chassis with the BMW 5.0L V12

How about the GM LS2? Will this get me close to waht I want without the cost of a V12?

To me there is nothing like the sound of a V12. (Especially at high RPMs) Even the latest F1 V10s do not sound as good. To date, I have only seen two ways to get "that V12 tearing silk sound." First, is to use a V12.(Obviously) Forget the English attempts of V12'dom and think German. The Mercedes V12s are great, but outlandishly expensive. Maybe you can find a SL600 engine somewhere. The other choice is the tried and true BMW V12. Junk yards almost give them away. The hard part is not finding them, nor paying more than $500, but the electrics. The only other ways to get that sound is to fake it via digital means. A little computer hooked up the distributor that generates the sound and sends it to some speakers in the trunk. Sure, this is the silly way, but we are building "fake" cars anyways. There was a company called VroomBox that build this thing for awhile, but they seem to be out of business. I have been sending them emails for over two years. I was hoping that Riceburner would tackle this project next.

I am in the exact same position as you are and I thought about posting this same question. Any American engine is not a good way to go for sound because American engines have an archaic loppy grunting sound that are in stark contrast with both the exterior of the Murci and the actual sound of an authentic Murci. People will know a Ford or GM engine when they hear one therefor ruining some of the Murci replicas appeal.

As for the BMW V12 it sounds horrible at idle and sounds more like an engine built for utility reasons. It's not a good sounding engine at all.The BMW V12 engine is extremely underpowered and I believe that the only appeal to that engine is the fact that it is a 12 cylinder engine therefor having something in common with an authentic Murci just like people have placed Jaguar V12's in Lamborghini kits. My comments are pertaining to the BMW engine out of the early 90's 850 car and whatever else it was placed in. That is the inexpensive engine that is most used. I can't comment on any of the latest BMW V12's which will cost significantly more to obtain...

The best option in my opinion is the Audi 4.2 V8 engine. Depending on what year and model Audi you get it out of the horsepower ranges from about 320-450. The Audi engine has the smooth idle and sexy revving characteristics of an engine you would expect to be inside of a Supercar. That BMW engine has engineering issues that will have you at a mechanic far too frequently.

Most people use Audi transaxles in their Lambo replicas. The Audi 4.2 V8 bolts right onto the Audi transaxles.

Video of the sound of the BMW V12 placed in a Lambo kit car
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=cWGlq-hcO0o

Video of an Audi 4.2 V8 placed inside of a Lotus with an Audi transaxle
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=581rF3HhKAM

We all have our preferences...

I think the BMW V12 can hold its own in the sound department....

http://www.ultimav12.ca/videos/mvi_0417

I am no expert with car engines either, but could you use an appropriate exhaust and rebuild the bmw v12 for better sound?

Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

I am running a BMW V12 with a Murci muffler and cats. I do not have tail pipes installed yet but you can get an idea of the sound.
    The youtube video above of the yellow Diablo has an exhaust leak so it is not an accurate sound.

Here is mine.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgSK6XSeZRY

Jim

I am running a 3.4 DOHC in my 328 and think it sounds great. But check out this BMW V8 on Pennocks.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068865.html

James