Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Third Brake light question, Fiero wiring

Third Brake light question, Fiero wiring

I had them once but now I am lost somewhere in the paint fumes. I need to hook up my third brake. Does anyone know where the wires begin. I know they were once on the driver's side. Do the begin on the 205 junction bok or somewhere elese. I might be able to pick up the light wires behind the firewall if I knew the colors etc...I knew I should have kept the Fiero book.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Re: Third Brake light question, Fiero wiring

jims or dales web site has the pdf

the easy thing to do is go right behind the brake pedal and tap into the line there. if you tap into the wrong line somewhere else then it could blink if you use you directional.

Yes Dave, the Fiero does not have a solid brake light circuit that I know of. I think you will need to tee into the wire on the brake pedal switch. This pedal switch wire directly feeds the turn signal switch and sends brake light current down the turn signal wires making the signals work as brake lights. No matter what you do you will have the third light flashing with one of the signals unless you supply it with steady power from the pedal switch.

Quote Originally Posted by jdinner
    Yes Dave, the Fiero does not have a solid brake light circuit that I know of. I think you will need to tee into the wire on the brake pedal switch. This pedal switch wire directly feeds the turn signal switch and sends brake light current down the turn signal wires making the signals work as brake lights. No matter what you do you will have the third light flashing with one of the signals unless you supply it with steady power from the pedal switch.
    Thank you all for the information. It looks like a little wiring job is in store for me tomorrow night. Jim, is it the little white switch with a screw adjuster on it or the silver one?
    Dave

This has nothing to do with the third brake light but here goes anyway.

I have a 1998 Buick 3800 normally aspirated engine with approximately 2,000 miles on it that runs fine but misses when warmed up but only under moderate to full acceleration. I initially found the intake manifold was warped above the #6 cylinder (thus the P0306 code). The manifold was replaced which helped the missing but not completely. Then Duane Cox and I swapped the ECM/PCM unit and the stumble / misfire issue remained the same. Also, the stumble / misfire issue occurs in all gears. I also swapped the ignition module, but also no solution. The sensation of the stumble is more like a misfire, sporadic, which only occurs with moderate to strong accelerating when the timing advance drops below 15 degrees. With all of the self-troubleshooting that my mechanic friend and I have performed (yes, I even replaced the plugs and wires), we are both stumped. Nothing appears as a malfunction on my mechanics scanner. Also, if you accelerate easily, or the engine is below 150 degrees F., the misfire is barely (if at all) noticeable. Other than the misfire, the car acts and drives very well.

I also had all of the injectors rebuilt and performed a fuel injector, ohm check. The values are, between 12.5 ohms and 17.0 ohms within specs for GM Anything above or below the specs would be cause for a failed injector, I also made sure to have good firing from the coils, the spark was blue in color, not yellowish indicating that I have good spark.

Other than the overheating issues from failed parts last weekend on the Daytona shakedown it ran very well. This is still puzzling to me any help would be appreciated..

Thanks....Dave

You said its a 1998 engine with 2,000 miles. How do you know that that is correct? I would try a compression test. Bad ring can make it feel like a miss fire feeling. I got that in my Grand marquis. cylinder is a little weak but, doesnt burn oil.

I purchasd the engine new from GM in 1998, therefore I know the miles to be correct. The compression is good.

Did you clean your injectors..It may be slighty dirty or cloged...

Dave
    I had the same problem with the DOHC in my 328. It eneded up being a bad ground wire. I changed about everything I could think of to fix the problem and finally took my ground cable off (for another maintenance action), cleaned it and put it back on. The cable looked fine so I never suspected it. My car ran like new after that.

James

Quote Originally Posted by jtownsend
    Did you clean your injectors..It may be slighty dirty or cloged...
    The injectors were cleaned and calibrated to factory (blue print) specs.