Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighting systems.

Lighting systems.

I want to install a new set of interior and exterior curtousy lights on my countach but I want them to work like on my BMW. As I approach the car and hit the remote to unlock the car the lights slowly turn on to illuminate the door handles and interior of the car. Then about 30 to 45 seconds later they slowly dim off. Does anyone know if there is a after market module to do this?

Re: Lighting systems.

It's a 2007 328xi but I think the interior and exterior curtosy lights are controlled by the main on board computer. I'm hoping to find a stand alone unit that will do the same thing to put into my Countach.

Jim:

You are always helpful on this forum. Thank you. I do have a question for you though, "Will the timer work on a radiator fan". I am looking for something to keep the fan running for 30-45 seconds after shutting off my engine? I can run it with a fan relay if needed and use the timer as the switch to pull the relay. Your thoughts?

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

jdinner, thanks you so much thats perfect and just what I'm looking for.
    Thanks again. Paul

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyWheels
    Jim:

You are always helpful on this forum. Thank you. I do have a question for you though, "Will the timer work on a radiator fan". I am looking for something to keep the fan running for 30-45 seconds after shutting off my engine? I can run it with a fan relay if needed and use the timer as the switch to pull the relay. Your thoughts?

Dave
    It should work fine Dave but if I were you I would connect it to an external relay to protect the timer.

Quote Originally Posted by jdinner
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyWheels
    Jim:

Dave
    It should work fine Dave but if I were you I would connect it to an external relay to protect the timer.
    I thought the external relay idea would work. I have it set up that way now (no timer relay). So I suspect I just place the timer in line with the main feed. When the selected time has expired, will the timer than open the feed to stop the fan from running?
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

If you are good with electronics. You could probably use a standard 555 timer from Radio Shack to switch a transistor for the timing function. A capacitor could be used to slowly discharge for the dimming effect you are looking for. Better yet.1 How about JC Whitney? Someone in china must make one!!

I followed these directions and this a year ago and could not get it to work.
    http://www.csgnetwork.com/dimmerdelayproj.html

Jim, that circuit will never work. First off most door switches are grounded to start with where by giving negative/ground signal where by the capacitor would never charge up.
    You can make some changes to it but even then you would get on or off not dim-on dim-off functionality.