Thread: 3800 SC series II Question.

3800 SC series II Question.

I have a 3800 SC Series II (03 Bonniville),Automatic in my Testarassa kit car and the engine install is getting towards the end.On the tranney where the automatic shifter arm attaches,does the arm point twards the left or the right?Someone had told my,that the 3800 SC II motors are front wheel drive and there for have the shifter arm on the right side (there is very,very,little room on the right side,due to the exhaust).Right now I have the shifter arm on the left side,but not completely installed (not bolted down).It seems to shift all right,where it is now.So if you have a 3800 SC II Automatic installed,is your shifter arm pointed to the left or right?Comments....
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Re: 3800 SC series II Question.

I am at the final stages of install myself. Did you get the original tranny with that motor of yours? If so, it should have a 4t65e HD transmission with 34 and 39 spline axles. I converted from a manual to the auto, and had to get an auto shifter for the console.
    The shifter arm on the transmission is pointed towards the LEFT side of the car. The real issue is that if you go to use the fiero auto shifter, the actuation will be in reverse (1st will be Park, vice versa). So, there are people on Pennocks that have used bellcranks, some have cut and welded it on the right side. Not much room for this with the exhaust in the way. This is the route I am taking:

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/082783.html

Looks like this may work, and it is a bit easier than trying to figure out throws for a bellcrank mechanism to switch from push-pull to pull-push.

Another note worth mentioning is there is another detent in the transmission the original TH-125 never had. If you take your shifter out, you can see the series of notches. It would be a simple matter of grinding another notch in there to have 1st gear. The reason for this is that the 4t65e HD transmission has overdrive, something the TH-125 doesn't have, hense another gear. Eric

Re: 3800 SC series II Question.

Thanks for the info and link.Yea,I have the origional Automatic tranney that came with the motor 4t65e HD (automatic) transmission.Looks like the only way is modify the linkage arm is to cut and reweld.I think,I can get the arm to fit on the right if it's angled properly or hightened.The picks help out alot,Thanks again.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!