Thread: Having Trouble Shifting into Gears after Car is warmed UP??

Having Trouble Shifting into Gears after Car is warmed UP??

Hello everyone -- figured I would pick some brains to see if anyone has experienced this or has any suggestions ---- my 4speed manual seems to shift fine when I first take out car for 15-20 minute joy ride, but then after it warms up for a while, it's like pulling teeth to get the car to go into gear --- examples include stopped at a traffic light and trying to shift into first, etc.............once car cools down after an hour or so, it shifts fine until heated back up??? any suggestions or thoughts??

thanks === BENNY

Re: Having Trouble Shifting into Gears after Car is warmed UP??

Benny... I will assume you have a Fierobased clutch/tranny.
    2 ideas...
    1st, you have the notorious Fiero master/slave cyl problems of always having air in the system= leaking slave &/or master. The hydraulic system will not push the clutch rod far enough to properly disengage the clutch. It will de-clutch when cold, but when heated/warmed, the clutch will be too 'grabby' to allow a smooth shift. There are various ways to attack this but I really don't want to write a 'spreadsheet' on it. Do a search here and on Pennocks forum for 48hrs of reading!
    2nd... I have found that by using GM SYNCROMESH tranny oil... transmission shifts have become very easy! That lubricant has been found by many to create much smoother shifts! It's somewhat pricey, but well worth it. This might be your 1st step at resolving your problem as changing out your tranny oil can only be a good thing... done once... done!
    As for the air in the hydraulic system, you may luck out with a new slave, and bleeding a gallon of brake oil, but.... even some new slaves are garbage, their 'umbrella 1 way seals are junk! They used to say to only purchase GM slaves & masters, but not too many originals around anymore. Be sure your hydraulic line is not rusted out as well..
    best,
    Sandy

Sandy:

Where do I get some oil like this?

"I have found that by using GM SYNCROMESH tranny oil... transmission shifts have become very easy! That lubricant has been found by many to create much smoother shifts! It's somewhat pricey, but well worth it. This might be your 1st step at resolving your problem as changing out your tranny oil can only be a good thing... done once... done!"

I have trouble when the transaxle is warm going into thrid gear if shifting fast. Go slooooooow and no problem. I am running 10W oil is the manuel suggests but it sounds like ther may be something better. My local Pontiac dealer never heard of the stuff.

At your convenience, please let me know what to purchase and where.

Thanks,

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

It sounds like your synchronizers are worn. Having the correct lube in the transmission will help but won't cure.
    You can purchase GM Synchromesh at literally any GM Dealer. I buy it from the local Chevrolet Dealer. Retail price is just about $10 a quart. You can also buy Royal Purple's SynchroMax which is their licensed version of Synchromesh. Both are full synthetic. Many of these standard transmissions are meant to run Automatic transmission fluid (ATF). Putting manual transmission gear lube in a transmission that's meant for a lighter weight oil will cause all manner of troubles..
    I don't know what's recommended for your trans but I would advise that you try that before changing to another formulation.

Just another gearhead trying to help another..

Regards - Randy

Randy: The Pontiac dealer said the GM book calls for 5w/30 engine oil. I am willing to try the synthetic oil or the posi traction additive in the transaxle but, I thik I agree with you that the 3rd gear syncro is worn out. A replacement syncro for 3rd/4th is $355. I am looking for options. Jerry Dorr gave me a complete set of Getag gears. I may look that package over with the anticipation I might be able to use those.

Now to find someone who can work on this style transaxle. Most mechanics these days are as old as a Fireo, LOL!

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

hello all, i'm new to this forum. If I can make a suggestion or ask a question? Have you performed an engine swap? Do you have something that is very hot near the slave? If so when that item lets say exhaust get very hot, the heat from that starts to boil the brake fluid in your slave. I've had this issue on a few fiero's that I have worked on. A solution is to some how re direct the source of the heat, if not then I have used heat wrap or manifold wrap to shield both items. I have also replaced the fluid to DOT 4. In most cases you will have to replace the slave because the seals become very dry and hard from all that heat. Try wrapping the slave and exhaust first and let us know if this a step in the right direction.