Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overheating - what else can I do?!

Overheating - what else can I do?!

Hi all,

Here goes my first post!

I've been helping my Dad with his Spartan (based on the Triumph Vitesse 1.6). It's got a major overheating problem!

When he bought it he had major overheating problems getting it home. We immediately thought the headgasket had gone because it overheated so quickly, and changed this as a matter of course. The problem persevered!

Basically since then this is what we have done:

1. Head gasket changed once, oil flushed, coolant flushed

Overheating still

2. Head removed again - waterways cleaned with acid, then thoroughly flushed

Overheating still

3. Radiator uprated with a higher number of cores and bigger unit. There was already a kenlow fan fitted which has been adjusted to come on almost immediately after the car is started

Overheating still

4. Water pump removed and checked for functionality - functioning fine and in good condition. Coolant hoses replaced including the stainless pipe that cools the manifold. Advanced coolant from www.frost.co.uk added

Overheating still

5. Oil cooler fitted

Overheating problem solved (we thought) - although the engine temperature still gets quite high. Car put away for winter (6ish months)

6. Overheating starts again :'( - oil is clear as anything, water level was fine to start (and it still had the advanced coolant in it)

We're lost as to what to try next other than carburation etc.

Has anyone got any advice?!

Many thanks!

Re: Overheating - what else can I do?!

I would have tried the thermostat before anything else and also check youradiator cap. maybe its the wrong size and you kinda think your overheating.

You didnt say anything about the coolant temp so thats why i said those 2 things before.

I've replaced the stat, and rad cap. At present it's running without a stat.

Within little time it starts to vent steam and boil over so I'm pretty sure it's overheating!

Thanks for the replies!

P.S I've stuck a digital thermometer in it, and I can't remember the temperature but it was definitely way too hot!

you could look into a manual for the Triumph Vitesse and see if that helps with some specs that maybe your over looking. Also has the engine been rebuilt?

could have a air lock in the system? just a thought

Does the fan ever kick on? Does it Overheat going down the road, just sitting still, or both? I know nothing about the Triumph, but I'd suggest to park it on a steep hill, radiator up, and try to burp out any air bubbles that way. I'd also test your fan (and related fuses), and temperature sensors with a voltmeter. On most american cars, any time you turn the AC on, it turns on the cooling fan circuit; it's an easy basic test of the system, though not a tell all on what's wrong. Good luck with it; keep us posted on how it turns out!

Here are some of the things I went through to locate my overheating problem.

1. Check the timing of the engine. Slightly retarded will make it overheat slowly.

2. Look for an air bleeder in the system to evacuate the trapped air inside the engine etc.

3. Check for a blockage in the system.

4. Hoses sucking shut.

5. look for trapped air in the heater core.

6. Make sure you have coolant / antifreeze mixed properly.

Hope this helps. I had a cracked radiator hose fitting letting air enter the system.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

what kind of engine is it? a v6 or v8?

Hi all,

It's a V6.

The stat is out at the amount, and the problem still persists. The engine hasn't had a rebuild. Fairly confident that there isn't an airlock in the system. We spent a fair bit of time making sure it hasn't.

The fan does kick in - we've set it to kick in relatively quickly. It seems to overheat more when going down the road, it's not so bad sitting there (takes longer to heat up).

I think the next thing to do will be to check timing and re-balance the carbs....

Thanks for all the advice gents, any more would be great!