Thread: 4.9 Cadillac A/C in a Fiero questions

4.9 Cadillac A/C in a Fiero questions

I haven't had any luck searching for this info here. Anybody have any links to info on the adaptation? I need to know if the stock Caddy compressor will work. I remember reading about an issue with a cut out on the Caddy system at higher RPM.
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

Re: 4.9 Cadillac A/C in a Fiero questions

Quote Originally Posted by Daleford
    I haven't had any luck searching for this info here. Anybody have any links to info on the adaptation? I need to know if the stock Caddy compressor will work. I remember reading about an issue with a cut out on the Caddy system at higher RPM.
    The stock AC compressor will work. The Fiero unit can be used as well. Change the pulley. The manifold should be the same. you may need a new dryer. I guess I need to get mine operational. It is beginning global warming season.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Great Dave. I'll go with the Cad compressor. Trouble is mine sat in limbo for so long it has seized. I should have got a spare from a South Florida U-pick yard when I was down there. Real cheap and lots of scrapped Cadillacs to pick from. Very expensive and scarce up here.

This just in from Pennocks. It discusses the cut off thing I had mentioned:------------
    I've connected the A/C on the Caddy cars I've helped build and other than the hoses, it is fairly simple. There will be a green wire coming through the harness under the console that will have 12v + when you hit the AC button. Normally, this signal would go to the Fiero ECM to tell it to engage the compressor relay by providing a ground for the relay. Since the dash signal is + and the relay to engage the compressor needs a ground, you will need to do some swapping of the wires at the relay. Basically, you are just sending that green + wire all the way to the relay and then connect the other relay coil wire to a ground so that it will close the relay when you hit the button. Just be aware that during 'spirited' driving, the ECM controlled AC gets cut off above a certain RPM or throttle position and with it wired straight from the dash switch, the compressor will stay engaged and the compressor may be damaged by the higher RPM.

Another "GREAT DAY" in the world of building a car. (Are there really any bad days?)
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.