Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front body problem question

Front body problem question

Well most of these questions is regarding the front part of the car. My dad and I checked the situation on how to bolt the front down and im guessing from what the one kid was doing he was gonna use this part (in pic one) to bolt the fiberglass to the chassis. Well as you can see it looks like the fiberglass has cracked sooo I was wondering if there was a way to somehow glue/fiberglass like 12 gauge metal so ill feel more comfortable that my front end isnt gonna fly off.
    Is there any suggestions on what I should do with this? I kinda have an idea but it might be totally stupid...

This is the pic of the cracked crap thats on there. (I didnt body it either, I purchased this kit from another person that was mickey mousing a lot of stuff.)

Brad

Re: Front body problem question

I ended up cutting the entire lip off so that the fender could mount lower. I shaped some 3/4"X3/4" square bar the fit fender curve and welded metal brackets to that. Final mounting was with windshield urethane.

jdinner, Well I hate to say it but my dad was once again right. About a week ago my dad was saying that this was not going to hold the way it was. So he made what you said, 3/4 inch tubing by 3/4 inch tubing and bent it to the way under the fender. So when I got home he had 2 fenders as well as the piece for the front to hold the front up. But then I said thats a great Idea but how can I stick the metal to the fiberglass under it, and we thought and he said well maybe fiberglass and rivets would be the only way. I thought this was gonna be too much work and there had to be a better way so I kinda tossed that idea.

So jdinner did you say you used windshield urethane to attach the metal to the fiberglass? Do you have any pics?

Brad

there is a saying that goes... its amazing how much smarter my parents got,as i got older!.
    Why not just use fibreglass matt and resin , if you wanted to get really posh , use some perforated steel, make a series of L brackets, weld brackets to tube , glass brackets to wing (fender) Note the perforations will help with resin bleed through and retention

My parts were much worse than this as far as having a 'flange' to bolt to. There were three tabs on each side to bolt the fender to the chassis, and not much else. So, I ground down the glass, leaving the tabs there bolted to keep the position of the fender. I took some Reynolds 'Release' alum foil that is thick and has a wax coating on one side. put that on the chassis, wax side up, and push the alum foil into the chassis mounting area to conform to all the contours, be careful not to punch through. Then bolted the fender and glass the rest in. Looks great, and assuming you get the fenders where you want them, it will pop out and right back in to where the glass was molded in. I use that alum foil quite a bit in making parts, sure does make a nice barrier when molding to an irregular surface. Eric

Well thanks for the reply s guys.

Im still a bit confused. So do you guys think if I use fiberglass matt and resin and mold it into the fiberglass this will be strong enough to stay in place?

Here are some of the pics of what it looks like

Like I said I just dont wanna be going 100kms/h and hear crack and a piece goes flying off lol
    So if you guys say mat it in the original fiberglass thats what ill do. Also how about long strand stuff that you add hardener, is that ok to stick that metal to fiberglass? Also I think im gonna do sections so I can still weld metal brackets to the bar to the car.

Brad

when we say fibreglass, we mean chopped strand matt, polyester resin and MEK hardener, not fiberglass bondo/body filler

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbrit
    when we say fibreglass, we mean chopped strand matt, polyester resin and MEK hardener, not fiberglass bondo/body filler
    Ok sounds good thanks for the quick reply. Ok I think I got this then, So is there anything you recommend I should buy to stick the metal with the fiberglass before I matt it together?

Thanks again

Brad

If it were me, I would fiberglass the parts back together then lay op a layer of 2 OZ mat over the part on the back. I am helping my youngest son with a similar project on his Mistubishi.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyWheels
    If it were me, I would fiberglass the parts back together then lay op a layer of 2 OZ mat over the part on the back. I am helping my youngest son with a similar project on his Mistubishi.
    First of all love the Mitsubishi eclipse (DSM). I had a Talon TSI AWD and loved it.

And back to the topic so what do you mean fiberglass the parts back together? you mean the metal and fiberglass?

I made a little picture on how I was thinking of doing it

will this work?

EDIT: Sorry for the horrible pic, im no good at windows paint

Brad