Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need to make a frame

need to make a frame

I just bougt a 1966 aztec gt body and need to make a frame for it I want to go mid engine either v8 or v6 automatic is fine will run fierro frront suspensin and transaxle need links to pictures that show mid engine frame setups thanks mike

Re: need to make a frame

Hi you send me a email for the chassis engineering frame which is mid engine and pretty simple to use. You would have to modify the rear half for the fiero suspension and engine cradle or check out these guys...Chassis plans Later Luke http://www.rorty-design.com/content/beetle.htm

Did you buy the one off of thesamba? I love the aztec gt and some of the other fiberfab cars. When I get finished with my corvette I plan to buy and highly modify an avenger body.
    Try this link. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...ngine&start=80
    He is using a vw engine but you could do the same thing with a different powerplant. Very lightweight.

yes I bought the one off of the samba very nice body I just finished building a manx clone about 2 months ago saw the aztec while looking at the samba at work yesterday and went this morning to look at it and the wife said BUY it!!! I will probably not do too much right away will have to build up some funds > but if anyone has some tips on whay transaxles to use auto or stick please speek up I want to stay with a v6 or v8 with carb to keep electrical simple and clean but lois of chrome on motor and wide tires for that racey look !!!

The body is not long enough to fit a longitudinal v8. My recommendation is to mount it on a fiero with a 1" cradle stretch. You can put big brakes on and put a carbed caddy 4.9 or northstar. If you plan on wide tires however, plan on some bodywork. Those aztecs are narrow cars and required flares to fit anything wider than a 7" rim on an already narrow beetle chassis. Thinking about that, I changed my mind. My vote is a turbo subaru conversion on a stock vw pan. That will keep it light weight, dependable, and fast. The beetle suspension can be upgraded with porsche brakes from 11.75 to 13". Enough people have done the subaru conversion that wiring info should be easy to find. If you can't do a little wiring, are you sure you trust your welding skills? Either way, I hope you post progress as you proceed.

Mike:

Mount the body on the tried and true Fiero. Might as well do any stretch work 1 - 3 inches on the cradle. No frame cutting. The details are in the FunnyWheels goes Topless thread. I would even build it with a 4 cylinder Honda or Mistubishi drive train. that way you get good gas milage too.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

My god on this site one day and someone already doubts my welding skills !!!! just kidding welding skill are fine as far as wiring I just want to keep it simple and clean just prefer no computer to mess with I think the caddy would work for what I need is it a direct bolt up to the fiero trans ??? how about other v6 or v8 that would or could be carbed ??/ thanks for the heads up on inline v8 not working any pictures of the caddy in a fiero set up??

Chevy and a Caddy in a Fiero
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

No offense on the welding. Just make sure you check your widths. A fiero is several inches wider than the beetle the aztec is intended to go on, so prepare for some body work/fender flares.

no offence taken at all I like to joke and have a good time I really appreciate any help you guys can give mike