Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body Fillers and Primers to make our cars look beautiful!

Body Fillers and Primers to make our cars look beautiful!

I thought it to be worthy to start a new thread about body fillers and primers. As we know, traditional Bondo has come a long way over the years. Take a company like Evercoat. They must have about 10 different types of body fillers out there and thatís not even counting the Reinforced fillers. Such as Everglass, Kitty and Tigerhair.

What brand type of body filler do you prefer and why?
    Primarily I typically use a medium to inexpensive lightweight type filler. Is their really a big difference in those higher priced fillers?

How about primer?
    As soon as I find a good epoxy primer that sands well the manufacture discontinue it. What do you all prefer to use?

Re: Body Fillers and Primers to make our cars look beautiful!

8) I have been using a medium priced filler and it sands real well, It's working for now.. And the epoxy primer I have been using this past month is the Matrix brand very reasonably priced, and it seems to be doing fine on the fiberglass...

Has anyone tryed one of these products?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have always used a heavy weight filler and stayed away from the word lightweight. I have found that a lighter weight filler has a higher percentage of air and does not sand out to a nicer featheredge.
    I have rarely used any putty spread with a squeegie, I always sprayed it on. As a highbuild sprayable putty/primer I had always used Fiberglass Evercoat's "Featherfill". That product started going through some changes a few years back that I didn't like so I switched to a Nason 2 part urethane primer.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

Well I have stated before I own a shop and we use several different things. I started out doing classic car restoration working for a guy that only allowed hammer and dolly and lead. I will keep this fiberglass specific. I don't like to use any unreinforced filler over a 1/4 inch thick, more than that I use either a short strand filler (duraglass, marglass, generic name by a lot of bodymen is "greenglass") or long stand filler like KittyHair. I do use a glaze for a pinhole or minor blemish. The high priced fillers like rage gold and platinum are marketed and designed for fast paced collision repair where fast work times and extremely fast and easy sanding rule. Don't be fooled, easy sanding comes at a price. They are not as durable, chip easily even after priming, and are easy to damage sitting around the shop waiting on primer.

Sorry for urethane primers the market is pretty equal, there are a few I don't like but there are a lot of good ones and some of the one I like are not on the high end. If you want to be happy with urethane primer, finish your work with 180 or finer, it will look like it will fill coarse scratches but it will likely shrink into them later and you will be disappointed. Remember always, always spray primer wet. You want it to fill the scratches from the bottom up and not go on dry and bridge the sand scratches. It too will shrink and show up later.

A couple of specialty products I like. Urethane Supply "BlackCat" catalized waterborne primer is an excellent primer for fiberglass and other composites. SEM "Metal Lock" is designed for DTM (direct to metal) application but it is a very, very high filling primer similar to the old FeatherFill mentioned earlier but this product is a type of epoxy/urethane primer hybrid. The only advise on it is like featherfill or other high build make sure you feather the edge well if you do not prime the whole panel or the primer edge will be visable under the topcoat (well if you know what you are looking for)

Hi Guys

I have a question for you, a student of my class, bought 1 can of bondo in autozone, and it came with a metal mesh with adhesive, I&#180;ve bought bondo for the past 10 years, and this was the first time I saw it sold with this mesh, what is it for? reinforcement?

here is a picture of the metallic mesh:
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/3253/mesh1om4.jpg
    http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/8031/mesh2je7.jpg

Best regards

JELP

There are times when a body part is so rusted, there is no metal to put the bondo on, so you place this to fill in the gaps and fill it up with bondo...

I canít understand why a major body filler company would sell a kit like this. Standard Bondo as shown in your photograph is very porous and is not waterproof. With that said, if you use this product to fill an area such as a hole or something. Moisture will work itís way into the Bondo and lift your finished top coat over time. The best method I found is to use a waterproof filler first such as Duraglass or the like followed by Bondo to further smooth the repaired area. That way the Bondo is sealed from pulling in moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    I canít understand why a major body filler company would sell a kit like this. Standard Bondo as shown in your photograph is very porous and is not waterproof. With that said, if you use this product to fill an area such as a hole or something. Moisture will work itís way into the Bondo and lift your finished top coat over time. The best method I found is to use a waterproof filler first such as Duraglass or the like followed by Bondo to further smooth the repaired area. That way the Bondo is sealed from pulling in moisture.
    ----------------------------------------------Well put. I agree--------------------------------------
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !