Thread: need advice for super charger questions

need advice for super charger questions

i was thinking about adding a super charger for a rebuilt stock fiero engine. do super charger make a car overheat? as for power im not to worried about it, im really looking for a better more agressive sound for my v6 engine. also do super chargers create any other problems for repairs?

Re: need advice for super charger questions

Quote Originally Posted by seafoodlover
    i was thinking about adding a super charger for a rebuilt stock fiero engine. do super charger make a car overheat?
    It will rasie heat inside the engine compatrment and somewhat the engine itself..
    as for power im not to worried about it, im really looking for a better more agressive sound for my v6 engine. also do super chargers create any other problems for repairs?
    Not unless you consider a blown motor a problem....that motor would not handle any amount of boost...plus the blower would be more the the motor itself in terms of money. Blowers are a not for someone that does ot have deep pockets...its not a bolt on and go...better just to do something wit the exhaust..

here is a link to a supercharger kit that I have listed for sale. As far as I know the owner still has it for sale. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/040092.html

Joe

Unless your 2.8 engine is in very good shape, I would not recommend this approach. It is likely to shorten the lifetime and is not really a bolt on application. Be prepared to spend some bucks for customized pieces and plumbing. I believe that it is actually easier to install a turbo on this engine than a blower. There have been several turbo 2.8 Fieros so you may want to do a search on Pennocks and see any comments on them.

I like boost and have both turbo and supercharged cars, but think you would be better off long term to do something else on a stock 2.8.
    Nelson

I myself prefer turbo, I have turbo'd a few 2.8's and found them to be more fun, but not cheep. Either way will cost you some money but for an easier install the charger is the way to go.

Joe

If you want an agressive sound,then you should modify the exhaust (useing a bigger muffler and larger tubeing).I agree,a super charger is expensive,your better off going with an engine swap (you could allways sell the rebuilt motor).Some wrecking yards have a half off day,so you can save even more money.The only minor problem is the gasket for the supercharger,slowly degrades,but isn't a problem untill well after 100,0000 miles.Then you would probubley see a coolant leak.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

thanks for all the advice,i think im not going for the super charger anymore. too many problems for a stock engine.

Hi,

If you are interested in sound but less interested in power, and very capable of anything engine related and not afraid of some bespoke work, then a throttle bodies conversion is the way to go.

Basically you replace the entire inlet system with individual throttle bodies (from Webber/Jenvey, or even bike carbs). Of course you will probably need new a EFi management system too.

Just search Youtube for throttle bodies to hear how they sound... You will be impressed.

By the way it has been done on a Fiero I think, although I really don't know much about Fieros.

HTHs.