Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need advice designing a chassis

I need advice designing a chassis

Hello.
    My friend and I started to build a Formula 1 race car with a bike engine. I have to design the chasis. This car will not be driven very fast, I'd say no more than 80 mph, but it will have to deal with bumpy roads. So the main feature is safety of course, and rigidity.
    I need some advice from experts. Just looking at these pictures, is this chassis good enough? Perheaps it's too complicated? Does it have extremely weak points?

edit:

turmite: thanks for warning. imageshack was quite a good server at the time I used it ???

Re: I need advice designing a chassis

Can I gently urge you to remove those pics, post them to photobucket and then paste in the links. I hate to open a pic and have flashing screens tell me what I have one, and then only to close it to find I now have popups on my screen, and that is with two popup blockers!

Mike

ps be nice to us, and we might be nice to you!

88 views and no replys? ???

Hi and welcome to the forum. I would recommend that you buy a book called "Chasis Engineering" it was written by Herb Adams. He goes into a lot of detail on how to design and test a chasis along with setting up a suspension etc. Just looking at a model will only tell if you applied the right technigues such as bracing, triagulation etc. but can not tell you how the chasis will stand up to torsion loading or bending. The book is available at borders and wasnt that expensive. One thing I thought was rather interesting was he shows you how to build a scale model chasis and test that to give you a good idea as to how the real chasis will work. Good luck with your project. Nice 3D modeling job you did there.

di48lo

Seems as if you use Rhino! V3 or V4? I wish I could help you, but you can believe me when I tell you, you don't want me engineering you a chassis! ;D If indeed it is Rhino, go to the user group and ask if anyone can help you do a FEA on it.

Bobi, here on this forum might also be of help, depending on when he might appear.

Mike

Thanks for the hints.
    I have to redesign the whole back half, but the problem is, this area is not covered by the body and it will be visible. Another major problem may be the lack of cross tubes in the upper and lower part of the chassis, especially at the front wheels. As it is now, it can bend easily.
    The shoulder area is only 40 cm wide, it sure has to be wider. At the leg area there's less problem, its 30 cm wide.

I improved the rear end. The front is OK, it has just enough room for the legs. Note, the rdiver's feet don't eaven reach the middle square.
    I have this feeling all the time, that I use too much material and the chassis will be too heavy. But I want to make sure, it will not deform after a few bumps. What's your opinion?

Hey dude, I love the chassis rendering!!

E mail me at Chassisworksinc@yahoo.com

I'd like to help

Mike
    www.Chassisworksinc.com<br />www.Chassissupply.com

Do you offer a chassis design service?

Quote Originally Posted by Chassisworks
    Hey dude, I love the chassis rendering!!

E mail me at Chassisworksinc@yahoo.com

I'd like to help

Mike

well, I'll be glad to offer my opinion as a chassis builder, but to design a chassis can be quite involved. You know your goals and vision of what is expected better than anyone, so I'd be glad to help.

The CAD time itself is crazy, so you've already got that part licked.

www.Chassisworksinc.com<br />www.Chassissupply.com