Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I have a way to get a built kit car into Canada...

I think I have a way to get a built kit car into Canada...

My Plan to get a kit car into Canada would be this. Get some one to build it in the UK or US. And make it look more like a race car. Put drag slicks on it, wheelie bars out the back, and title it as a race car. For off road use only. Can NOT be made street legal. Then once Canadian Customs lets into Canada, just put it back to looking like a Lambo or what ever kit replica your building. I can't see how customs can not let you bring in a race car used only for the drag strip.

What do you guys think?

Re: I think I have a way to get a built kit car into Canada...

best idea ive heard so far

are you having the frame built custom? either that or just ship a canadian donor car down, when it is done ship it back up.
    355 Build progress&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; http://www.kosracing.com/projects/Fiero/<br />http://www.pocketbikeuniverse.com/bannerkos.jpg

Two things happen -- as an off road vehicle turned into an ON road vehicle you will need a VIN number and pass two inspections - an allowed in canada/vin inspection and an out of province inspection -- YOU WOULD FAIL BOTH
    As for a custom frame idea again you need to prove ALL parts were purchased separately by you or manufactured by you (Not bought as a whole or in part as a kit and disassembled for import) and then you face getting a vin and the two inspection -- YOU WOULD FAIL ALL THE ABOVE
    The only real legal way to have a kit car in Canada is if you build it completely from scratch yourself and save every reciept for every nut and bolt -- oh and do not die before its finished LOL
    The auto makers do not want kit cars on the road in this country - period

OH I forgot about " just ship a canadian donor car down, when it is done ship it back up."
    They will make you remove the "uncertified" kit right at the border. As an example guys try buying trucks in US and having lift kits put on (Aftermarket) and they are made to remove them at customs as the lift kit is not safety certified for Canada. Unless the big car manufactures have your make and model on the import list with those options it is not going to get in here legally.

you know in texas an extra $50 under the table gets anything inspected. no joke, try moving

As far as a VIN number, just buy a Fiero and take the vin no off that and put it on the kit car and call it a Fiero. I'm talking about fooling customs into thinking it will be a race car for the race strip. Once its in Canada you can do what ever you want with it.

Quote Originally Posted by CARBUILDER
    Two things happen -- as an off road vehicle turned into an ON road vehicle you will need a VIN number and pass two inspections - an allowed in canada/vin inspection and an out of province inspection -- YOU WOULD FAIL BOTH
    As for a custom frame idea again you need to prove ALL parts were purchased separately by you or manufactured by you (Not bought as a whole or in part as a kit and disassembled for import) and then you face getting a vin and the two inspection -- YOU WOULD FAIL ALL THE ABOVE
    The only real legal way to have a kit car in Canada is if you build it completely from scratch yourself and save every reciept for every nut and bolt -- oh and do not die before its finished LOL
    The auto makers do not want kit cars on the road in this country - period

hmm are you 100% sure about that off road thing? My buddy who lives in vancouver has both sent this truck to washington for work, including a lift and returned it no problem. He also purchased a truck close to seattle and drove it back up that had lift etc with minimal issues. Did it with a boat as well. Not 100% on it it all but putting a new body on the car may not have an affect on customs. Just give them a call and see what they have to say. If the car is not imported into the US then it wont need to be imported back into canada. Therefore in theory you may be able to just drive it across...

i know i did not do the import paper work for my bike when i moved to the US, so among other scenarios I was told one option would be to ship it back to canada and sell it there, or ship it back and then send it back to US with the import paper work...talking to canada customs I did not have to do a thing besides show registration paper work to bring it into canada, and it has a completely new fiberglass body on it.
    355 Build progress&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; http://www.kosracing.com/projects/Fiero/<br />http://www.pocketbikeuniverse.com/bannerkos.jpg

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/tp2436/rs200804/menu.htm

the important part is at the bottom
    Important Notes:
    It is against the law (sections 5 (1) and 6 of the Act) to import a vehicle or sell a new vehicle in Canada that does not meet CMVSS. Importing such a vehicle in different shipments is a violation punishable under section 17 of the Act.
    Third party add ons such as lift kits installed, etc. that do not meet CMVSS are illegally imported and the vehicle can be impounded or siezed at any time after it has been illegally brought over the border. Yes people get away with it but its still unsafe.

What if its a race car? if its going to be used for racing, (or cumstoms thinks its going to be used for racing) I think it should be let in. it sounds like your talking for street use. the idea as I said is to just get it across the border. Then worrie about the inspections and if it will pass safty and all that. This is something I would have to talk to Customs about first.