Thread: DIY: Ferrari Calipers

DIY: Ferrari Calipers

Ok so I made this little DIY for all the people that want to have the Ferrari logo on the stock fiero calipers. You could also have company names/forum names/companies etc on their calipers.

What you need:
    Wirewheel
    Dremil tool
    Tape
    Aceitone
    for paint iv had really good results with duplicolor 1200 high heat paint but since XXX tire didnt have the gloss black I wanted I went with this VHT 900 degree paint looks like its holding up pretty good

First off I started by wire wheeling the caliper your going to start with. This is probably the most important step because it gets the grim and crap off it and scratches the caliper so that the paint will stick. If you half fast this stage your going to notice paint to "burn up" and chip off.

Next, after done Wirewheeling the caliper, your going to get aceitone on a cloth and wipe the whole thing down. This will get the remaining oil, grease, and whatever is left over.

Then this next step has a couple of options but I found this one to work the best so this is the one I will explain. So here your going to paint the entire caliper the color you want the caliper to be painted, NOT the lettering. Be sure to put several fine coats instead of a couple think coats. This is the good thing about these two paint companies im using, they have a wicked sprayer on them.

Now that your waiting for your caliper to dry, your going to measure how big you want your letters, and then head to a tint shop or a place that cuts vinyl (I have a plotter so I just did it at home but these things places are everywhere and I will give an email that does them for really cheap and will send it same day that payment is received). All your looking for is for them to do a vinyl cut out of what you want. You could even bring the caliper in and show them so they could measure for you. This is what the vinyl looks like when they cut it:

I would recommend always get more then your going to do. For example if you need 4 I would get 6 just so if I didnt like how it was set or I did something wrong (Which I did below) you would have a couple of spares.

Now that you have your vinyl sheet you can cut out the sections of the vinyl so they are smaller to work with and able to move around. Now this part you dont have to do but I did to be precise. So if you dont want to do it just skip to part 2. I cut out the outside of the lettering so I could get an idea of how it would look on the caliper. You can use a small box cutter or anything with a sharp point to get under the vinyl.

Next your going to place a piece of masking tape over the section you just cut and rub your finger over it several times to make sure it sticks.

Now your going to measure and place it on the caliper to where you would like it. I just did it by eye but you can measure. now rub the masking tape with the vinyl to the caliper, Rub hard and several times to make sure it sticks.

Now remove the masking tape. This could be tricky since the vinyl may want to stick to the masking tape, rather then the caliper. If this happens just rub the section some more to the caliper and then re try to take the tape off. Also use your knife to help keep the vinyl off the tape.

PART 2
    After I saw that it was perfect, I took the vinyl off the caliper and went back to my vinyl sheet. Now You are going to take out the inside of the lettering instead of the outside.

Now that your done that place masking tape on the vinyl and rub several times to make sure the vinyl will stick to your masking tape, and then place on your caliper.

Now take tape and make sure you mask EVERYTHING around the caliper, if its not, paint will find a way to get in. Paint it with whatever color you want but make sure your doing light several light sprays. I was about a foot and a half away spraying and had no runs.

The next thing you do is take off the vinyl. I did this when it was still tacky but im sure you can wait and do it when its dry.

Viola! your done!

There is the option of clear coating the calipers with a high heat coating but I felt that this looked pretty slick without it.

I hope this helps, this is my first DIY so if im missing anything or need more pics please tell me.

Brad

Re: DIY: Ferrari Calipers

Thats pretty darn slick, now you've opened up a can of worms and we're all gonna plaster our cars with paint inlays.

I was planning on doing this with the Z06 C6 calipers. Basically they are already smooth so I was going to paint them black then stencil then put clear on it. What kind of clear were you thinking of putting on it? I wonder if you can fill calipers with bondo to get them smooth and eliminate ridges or even slightly reshape them.

Excellant job KillerX. Both on the caliper upgrade and your presentation here on the forum. 8)
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

Bravo... This was a very simple, straight forward presentation. I would ask that you show pics of it on the car.

TTT

If you want to save a few steps you can buy the stencils on ebay for $8.00

Quote Originally Posted by Faker
    I was planning on doing this with the Z06 C6 calipers. Basically they are already smooth so I was going to paint them black then stencil then put clear on it. What kind of clear were you thinking of putting on it? I wonder if you can fill calipers with bondo to get them smooth and eliminate ridges or even slightly reshape them.
    bondo is a nono it will just burn off. What I did to the edges to get more room for the Ferrari was grind them off a bit. I suppose you could just grind all the edges off and then it will be all smooth then after use a palm sander to make it smooth.

I currently have VHT 1200 degrees Clear coat that works pretty good. Ill post pics of the one caliper I did with the clear.

Another way to get a stencil made is to download the Ferrari font. Print off Ferrari, then get some sticky vinyl from the doller store. place the ferrari printed out paper on top of the vinyl. Then with a exacto knife cut the ferrari out and your set. I dont think my cousin charges too much to plot and ship out the vinyl cut Ferrari stickers. (I actually just sold my plotter to him and know he does good work)

Brad

hahaha Nice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Faker
    You could slick them up with some emery cloth and then paint them for a smoother/higher gloss. Do not ever remove the raised parts that look like small fins cast in them. They are there to increase surface area to facilitate cooling. No bondo like someone else said, temperature limits on filler is pretty low.

Very nice how to guide with lots of pictures KillerX, good job.