Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This guy modifies cars with PU foam, see the results

This guy modifies cars with PU foam, see the results

I found this guy that modifies car with PU foam, It seems risky to me, because the sun and temperature changes can affect the foam, making it expand more or contract, and actually crack the surface.

I remember when I was making a large scale sculpture for a customer, that I left the PU foam model in my car for 5 minutes while talking to his secretary to open his office, when I came to the car to pick it up, it was cracked all the way.
    that same day I decided to avoid using PU foam in projects that were in touch with the sun or exterior.

Maybe this guy covers the foam with other thing besides bondo.

Here is the full link:
    http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/foam-car

Best regards

Re: This guy modifies cars with PU foam, see the results

Wow - I would love to hang out with that guy for a couple of weeks. to cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by jelpspeed
    I found this guy that modifies car with PU foam, It seems risky to me, because the sun and temperature changes can affect the foam, making it expand more or contract, and actually crack the surface.

I remember when I was making a large scale sculpture for a customer, that I left the PU foam model in my car for 5 minutes while talking to his secretary to open his office, when I came to the car to pick it up, it was cracked all the way.
    that same day I decided to avoid using PU foam in projects that were in touch with the sun or exterior.

Maybe this guy covers the foam with other thing besides bondo.

Here is the full link:
    http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/foam-car

Best regards

i was liking the rear photo until i saw the whole car! it looks like its starting to melt already! i think this was in russia so that explains alot ;D

Well, I like the rear of the car, the rear of the door looks like it might be 512 inspired. Not a bad build at all, its not totally to my liking but I can appreciate and respect the build process.

To keep the foam from continuing to expand once its cured.... well lets say you have 12 ounces of foam, add between 3/4 to 1 once of resin (after you've added the catalyst) what you end up with is a very stable, rock hard foam. The down side is .... well its harder to work with cause its harder.... the upside is ....its harder.

If you want a fluffy foam thats not very hard but has lots of bulk add water!!! Yes, WATER! I've used half ounce of water for roughly twelve ounces of foam. Go get some cheap resin and kinda play with it until you create a formula that works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rayvenrob
    Well, I like the rear of the car, the rear of the door looks like it might be 512 inspired. Not a bad build at all, its not totally to my liking but I can appreciate and respect the build process.

To keep the foam from continuing to expand once its cured.... well lets say you have 12 ounces of foam, add between 3/4 to 1 once of resin (after you've added the catalyst) what you end up with is a very stable, rock hard foam. The down side is .... well its harder to work with cause its harder.... the upside is ....its harder.

If you want a fluffy foam thats not very hard but has lots of bulk add water!!! Yes, WATER! I've used half ounce of water for roughly twelve ounces of foam. Go get some cheap resin and kinda play with it until you create a formula that works for you.
    nice tip, Iīve used water, but I also know that if you add too much water, it will expand like a cake and then deflate to a thin layer.
    but adding resin is a good idea, I will try it, and see how hard it becomes to sand.

The rims are HUGE, 26's?

What type of PU were you using? I know HILTI makes some PU that turns hard as a Rock, there are also some cheaper versins of the stuff. Also surfboards are made of this stuff and they seem to stand up well to Sunlight and salt water.

I also do not think that the article listed all of the details of the process or the exact brand.

http://www.sprayfoam.com/cdps/cditem.cfm?NID=106

http://www.hennisenterprises.com/index.htm

This stuff stands up toheat very very well. Thats was its first use as a insulator. So I am not sure what quality of foam that you guys were using.

Quote Originally Posted by PiMPaLiCiouS
    What type of PU were you using? I know HILTI makes some PU that turns hard as a Rock, there are also some cheaper versins of the stuff. Also surfboards are made of this stuff and they seem to stand up well to Sunlight and salt water.

I also do not think that the article listed all of the details of the process or the exact brand.

http://www.sprayfoam.com/cdps/cditem.cfm?NID=106

It depends on the density of the foam, higher density, the size of the bubbles is smaller, and itīs harder to sand, expands less,
    I mostly use the lower density foam, it expands a lot, and itīs softer to sand, but have that inconvenient we talked about. the one I use is made here in mexico, they make lots of pu foam types, like the one in the bumpers of our cars, or the one on the bike seats, wood substitute and lots of kinds of pu.

but Iīve found that the blue styrofoam is the perfect substitute for my projects. I can get a thick block by laminating it. and make the form easily with sandpaper, it doesnīt absorb any humidity or water. itīs perfect for me, I wish Iīve found it earlier in my life

Thats Awesome what is the Brand of the PU Foam, that you use? I would like to experiment with it.