Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda H22a Engine Swap into 84 Fiero!!??

Honda H22a Engine Swap into 84 Fiero!!??

Honda H22A 2.2L Vtech engine.
    161 Torque, 200HP, 7600RPM redline W/auto tranny

Hi. Im new to the forum. Im a 2nd time fiero owner. i currently own an 84 SE w/auto and a/c. I previously owned an 85 2m4 which i swapped out for a 3.4L at a local shop. That Fiero came to an unfortunate end in the twisty mountain roads of banff alberta canada due to no suspension or brake upgrades contributing to what i call sideways-gravity lol, to allow the car and rockface to meet. The new fiero im am thinking of purcjasing the honda engine from jdm imports and swapping it for the stock motor. I want to also turbocharge the car and do the NECESSARY brake and suspension upgrades. Also move some weight to the front. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to swap in an import engine and tranny, and if so, is it posible and how difficult is it. I would say my skill level with almost any auto project is fairly good, i just have never attempted an engine swap or a transmission change either. Other than that i could do most anything else. Any help or directions to help would be appreciated, and also any other comments or ideas (ie. other 4cyl import engines that might fit, etc.) Thanx.

Re: Honda H22a Engine Swap into 84 Fiero!!??

Your best bet is the 3800 Superchareged Series III engine... mucho horsepower and easy to install.

i thought of the 3800 SIII but i want to do something different than most people. and i want a turbo lol.

where to start... well the h22 is very large and fitment im not so sure will work, it is cable shifter like the fiero, its a torque monster for the hondas, If it will work youd be better off going with a k series motor, more expensive but alot more potential. The gsr b18c1 is alot smaller but 180hp and alot stronger than the others under boost due to a crank girdle and thick cylinder walls and has a rpm of 8200. to some it up gsr is the way to go. but youd have to go auto which saves you alot of cash and use paddle shifters.

The 3800 is the easiest and most cost effective, anything else expect to spend a TON of $$$ on mods etc.

Wow!

It sounds like something I would do. I think a K motor would be a better choice but both could be very interesting. There are a ton of turbo performance parts for those engines. The only thing that might be a problem could be the intercooler. I guess it could fit in the rear 1/4 panel somewhere. If you use the Fiero shifter I think you could make the 5 speed work as well. Reverse might be a challenge but it could be a great swap.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

if he can afford a k series. there 6k

why not do an Ecotech swap??? you can get one from a Cobalt SS or even turbo a 2.2L, thats still a 4 cylinder DOHC and fuel efficient... Oh also you can make a lot of power from them too.

joe

Found this for $3500 on Ebay.....2 times the price of the h22a but not too bad...

JDM B18C OBD2 Engine
    5 Speed Hydraulic Transmission
    P72 ECU
    JDM Wiring Harness
    Distributor
    Alternator
    Throttle Body
    Power Steering Pump
    A/C Compressor
    VTEC Solenoid
    Starter
    Flywheel
    Clutch

Ill have to look more into this engine, maybe its a better idea. Im looking to get 325-350 hp when all is done(not including the nos). Thats one of the reasons i was thinking of the h22a because it wouldnt take all that much to get the hp out of it(ie a turbo/intercooler, computer. The 1.8L may take a bit more and lose alot of street driveability...have to check out the acura forums i guess lol....keep throwing out ideas.

ill tell you right now, not a soul on those forums knows more about hondas than me. if you want to do a gsr " b18c1" you can push 10lbs all day long on a good tune and will hit exactly 300whp. 6 lbs. is 260whp. unbuilt. i wouldnt suggest going five speed since you cant get the shift linkage towards you. The greatness of honda/acura is that everything is compatible. any hydrolic b series trans works and the best for boost is the cheapest a integra ls tranny found at any junk yard for $75, the auto gsr ecu is $50 on ebay a 1/10 of the price of a 5 speed ecu because honda guys hate auto. harness $100, axels new at auto zone $300 pair. then pick up a b18c1 long block for a $1000 easily. theres you a $1500 swap. Ive had a gsr in 4 different kind of cars and my budy has one thats 700whp.