Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best engine for a 84 fiero

best engine for a 84 fiero

so you know i got the 328 replica and i have another post about the engine. so this time im asking what the best engine is for the car. i would like a powerful engine say 280 to 300 hp and one that would give a good exotic/ferrari sound with a 328 exhaust
    this is in there now a 350 chevy v8.

Re: best engine for a 84 fiero

Without a doubt.... The 3800... not Series II but the upgraded Series III.

Quote Originally Posted by MURCenary
    Without a doubt.... The 3800... not Series II but the upgraded Series III.
    so if i had a 4 speed in the car will this engine work and will it give a good exotic sound

thats what im doing

I'm located in Ontario also.. I have done many 3800 swaps into fiero's with the 4 speed tranny. Where in Ontario are you from?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by SLT
    I'm located in Ontario also.. I have done many 3800 swaps into fiero's with the 4 speed tranny. Where in Ontario are you from?

Joe
    ottawa

I've read this topic and the other concerning the 348 engine- and as stated in that topic, you seem to be all too willing to spend a lot of money for not much in net worth. You're swapping out a 350 motor (that had cost 10k+) to install, with the additional cost of a 3800 motor swap (6k+) - for what? Don't get me wrong, I have a 86 308 replica with the stock 2.8l motor and would like to improve the car too- but you're investing too much money in a car that won't be worth the effort. Why not (as stated in the other forum) just buy nice 308 for $30k and sell the replica that you're dissatisfied with. That way you would reclaim some of your investment and end up with a more valuable end product. Or figure out what you really don't like about the 350 replica. You can't tell me it's not fast enough- and all a 3800 swap will give you is a lighter wallet. You're not increasing horsepower, maybe an improvement in handling and yes a different sound, but still not like and actual ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by che308
    I've read this topic and the other concerning the 348 engine- and as stated in that topic, you seem to be all too willing to spend a lot of money for not much in net worth. You're swapping out a 350 motor (that had cost 10k+) to install, with the additional cost of a 3800 motor swap (6k+) - for what? Don't get me wrong, I have a 86 308 replica with the stock 2.8l motor and would like to improve the car too- but you're investing too much money in a car that won't be worth the effort. Why not (as stated in the other forum) just buy nice 308 for $30k and sell the replica that you're dissatisfied with. That way you would reclaim some of your investment and end up with a more valuable end product. Or figure out what you really don't like about the 350 replica. You can't tell me it's not fast enough- and all a 3800 swap will give you is a lighter wallet. You're not increasing horsepower, maybe an improvement in handling and yes a different sound, but still not like and actual ferrari.
    well then what stuff can i do to the engine to make it sound good

It seems like sound is your main concern- but can you be very percise what you're getting at. As stated in other forums concerning sound, a V8 by its very nature will sound like what it is- regardless of exhaust. A V8 has a lower rumble then the high pitched rev/whine of other engines. You can change the cam, the bore & stroke of the engine- and you will get a variation of a V8 sound, but why is that soo important. You have a nice looking car (body won't rust), parts are reasonable, performance (with a 350) is above that of most.
    From Pennock fiero forum and Archie's thread (a builder of V8 fiero's) is the sound of a V8 that I think you might enjoy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQLut_i6t8s