Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: im a noob at this

im a noob at this

im not entirely sure if this is in the right spot, but im sure someone can move it to the right spot afterwords. i am 16, and i really like sports cars, i mean who doesn't? but my parents say that it is too expensive to buy one, but i was wondering if it would be cheaper to make a junk car into a very sporty car. so i have a few questions:

1.) is it cheaper then buying the (sports)car (new or used), then re-making it?

2.) aprox. how long does it take to make a kit car?

3.) aprox. how much does it cost to make a sports car from a junk car?

4.) is the insurence going to be higher? (im pretty sure it will be)

5.) is it possible to just buy a body kit and throw it on a junk car?

6.) do you think that a 16 year old, and his dad can do this? or will we need professional help?

7.) if we need help, how much does it normally cost?

8.) is it worth putting all the time into it?

9.) can you make a convertible easily? if its not easily, is it possible to make with out major problems?

10.) is it possible to make a hard top convertible?

Thank you for taking the time to read all of this, and i greatly appreciate it.

Re: im a noob at this

kit cars cost $40- $80 thousand to build and id not recomended for anyone with little tech skills. try buying an old mustang or camaro. and hotrod it. after youve done that youll of aquired tools,skills and can sell the car for a profit to further seek your goals

thanks, and how should i start out? with a beat up mustang body? or would it be better to start out with something cheaper?

how much do you have to start out with, and how much worse case senerio can you put into it a week. if you answer this honestly youll get a good answer

right now not much, maybe 10,000 tops. i don't have school til the 3rd and have nothing to do til then, once school starts maybe an hour a day with like 3-4 hrs on weekend.

Matt you are not going to build a kit car for that, sorry. I would find an older classic that is attractive to you, Mustang, Camaro, ElCamino, whatever it is. Then make sure the one you pick has plenty of reproduction parts available like a '65-66 Mustang has way more good quality but cheap reproduction parts than say a '71-73 Mustang. I have been restoring classic cars many years, feel free to pm me if I can answer anything. Maybe a rice burner (I'm sorry an import tuner) is your thing, you have to look around and see what turns you on.

"or will we need professional help?"

Ha! That describes most of us on here at one point or another!

I think anyone that considers building a kit needs some. ;D

Matt,

Don't let everyone discourage you. A lot of people on this board think the only kit cars out are lamborghinis and ferrari 360s. With your budget there are a large variety of unique kit cars available. A large number of vw based kits are available. I bought a completed porsche 356 speedster replica for $8500. All I did was paint it. The little vw motors are extremely easy to work on. Google fiberfab kit cars for other interesting options. If you would like something newer, I have seen many ferrari 308, 355, and testarossa replicas sell for less than $10K complete. If I were your age again, on a limited budget, and wanted something sporty/unique, I would buy a mid 60's porsche 912 and install a type I vw engine. The cars are very fun, fairly fuel efficient, have a back seat, can look very cool, and you won't have to deal with ridicule of teenage peers for having a "fake" ferrari. They are also great engines to learn to work on due to their simplicity. Just my opinion.

I agree with swoodard23 on the VW based thing. It was 38 years ago, I was 15 then, when my father and I tackled a build on a then, brand new, Bradley GT. I already owned a VW Beetle at the time so it was a great learning experience for me and something my father and I talked about for many, many years. The car weighed less than 1500 pounds and I did learn how to do my own hot rodding and mods on the motor and trans. It was a blast to drive and got great fuel economy. VW motors have come a long way since then as well as Subaru and rotary options. Budget based builds can be found, restored, etc., as well. If I was 16 now I'd be all over kit cars and sports cars again. Just take the time to learn how to do the stuff and your "sweat equity" will help fund you.

My first car was a bugeye Sprite that I paid $300 for. It ran when I bought it- and as time and money allowed- I worked on it, improving it as best I could. My advice would be to get something that you could buy outright with the money you have. Look on eBay under the heading 'Replica/ Kit Makes'. The economy is so bad right now that many people are selling their toys cheap- best time to buy one. Start small, in terms of scale of project, go with something that's easy to work on, the parts are cheap and readily available, and don't rip the whole car apart at once. Work on it in stages. Too many people try to do too much and wind up not doing anything at all. Me for instance - I ripped apart a 71 Vette in 81 and its still sitting completely apart in one corner of my garage.