Thread: Need help/advice with Designing 3 piece wheels.

Need help/advice with Designing 3 piece wheels.

I have always wanted to design my own line of aftermarket wheels. I am now at a stage where I want to pursue this very seriously. I am a mechanical engineering student and I am quite good with Solidworks.

I would like to design and manufacture three piece forged aluminum wheels using 6061 grade aluminum. I need advice/help with any input on how I should go about this. I was wondering if buying the yearbook from The Tire and Rim Association would be a good idea for looking up specifications and terminology.

How do I go about taking measurements as far clearance with brake and suspension components goes? (I will be using a clearance measuring gauge)There are so many cars in the market and I don't know people with access to all cars, is there a website that provides this info? Are there any patents or copyrights that I should worry about from other companies, although my designs will be unique and original there is only so much one can do with wheel designs.

Anything else that comes to mind? Any kind of info and advice will help, thanks for your time.

Re: Need help/advice with Designing 3 piece wheels.

my only advice is that everyone wants a 5 point wheel! give that and when you stagger an offset instead of pushing the whole face back, move just the center back like the lambo wheels do it gives room for large calipers. black and crome are the hot colors

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmeansgo
    my only advice is that everyone wants a 5 point wheel! give that and when you stagger an offset instead of pushing the whole face back, move just the center back like the lambo wheels do it gives room for large calipers. black and crome are the hot colors
    I have quite a few 5 spoke designs along with multispoke ones....Thanks for the input !!!

sell me some wheels for my build ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmeansgo
    sell me some wheels for my build ;D
    I will for sure when i have all the testing out of the way. I will post some pics when things are more concrete.