Thread: Acceptable axle angle

Acceptable axle angle

Does anyone know what is an exceptable angle for an axle? I do know zero is best. I did some calcuations tonight using a 4.9 V8 with an audi 5000 trans and the numbers work out to be roughly 14.5 degrees. This is based on a 3" stretch and with the engine set 1/2" from the firewall.

rough numbers:
    24" 4.9 V8 with 1/2" belt clearance
    25.5" from firewall to centerline of axles with stretch
    8.5" from flange to axle centerline (audi trans) including .5" adapter plate
    27" axle length with 4" widetrack extension each side

This means the axle centerline (at spindle) and the trans centerline offset is 7" and the length is 27" = 14.5 degrees

Re: Acceptable axle angle

I know that 15 degrees is considered maximum with u-joints but CV joints can be operated with more angle than that. Some angle is actually a good thing as it works the grease around and doesn't allow the balls to just ride in one spot and wear there. I would say that your angle is approaching the maximum that I would want them to be, but I would like to see less than that if you can do it.

thanks for your help... I will have to get a tranny now and get some better measurments but it seems it might just actually work!!

Be careful on the amount of angle you get into with CV joints. I had a friend set one into his driveline on a raised Jeep and the angle was too much and the back and forth on the driveshaft ended up heating up the CV joint to the point where it melted the grease away from the balls and they seized.

He phoned all kinds of experts and they all said that CV joints were never designed for continued angled operation due to the friction built up and therefore possible failures.

Not sure if 15* will be an issue as my friend's was more extreme but it would be something to think about before putting in the effort and expense to get that setup done.

My thoughts anyway.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

If you are using a +3 configuration you will not have any challenges. I have used +3 and +4 since 1998 in FunnyWheels. A Fiero will handle better is the rear of the car is stiffer than the front. So install your axles as needed with a big anti-sway bar and 325# springs.

I know you will be fine.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Thanks don, I will contact a CV joint/axel place and see what they think as well.

Dave, I am not sure if I followed what you were saying. Are you talking about the wheel spaces (+4) and a 3" stretch?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Berlinetta
    Thanks don, I will contact a CV joint/axel place and see what they think as well.

Dave, I am not sure if I followed what you were saying. Are you talking about the wheel spaces (+4) and a 3" stretch?
    Glenn: I am referring to the angle of the drive axles and the fact that the longer axles will work. Just keep the suspension flat.

The suspension in the photo is a +4. The spacer is to properly position the Ferrari rim since the offset varies from the Fiero. I centered the rim over the Fiero bearings so the load would be nutural.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

A standard 930 cv is good for about 25 degrees combined angle. That means if it has 5 degrees of setback front to rear, it will only be allowed 20 degrees of droop or bump. If you use the modified joints like we sell on our site, you can get 28 degrees combined.

This is much more angle than a single cardan u joint, but the drawback is that a cv system is much more expensice, and only has a limited amount of plunge.

To be honest, unless you're building an off road car with 21" of travel, or something with an awful trans height, travel is only going to be 8" combined (at the wheel) if you're lucky
    Mike
    www.Chassisworksinc.com<br />www.Chassissupply.com