Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to cut existing car windows?

Is it possible to cut existing car windows?

again with one of my questions.

Do you think its possible to cut existing car windows?
    I asked this to my friend who owns a waterjet cutting machine, and he told me theyre tempered glass, and in the moment the water touches it, it will crack into little tiny pieces.
    How about the windshield? it is layered, any chance to cut it to another shape?

Im asking this because I just read about a Murci that had a "recut maxima windshield":

Quote Originally Posted by dratts1
    It has a 97 camaro gauge cluster, sebring side windows and a recut nissan maxima windshield. Although I would like everything to be exact, I'm going to start with switching the held suspension and brakes with my AD355. Next will be the interior. It has crooked stitching and bad fitting. Bad as it is, I haven't heard criticism yet from the people who first walk all around it and then lean over to look inside. Most people don't know what a murcielago interior looks like anyway, but it's obviously not the interior of a $300,000 car.
    Any advice on this? this will help me save a few bucks, maybe using my donor car windows.

Any feedback is welcome.

Best regards

JELP

Re: Is it possible to cut existing car windows?

You can cut windshield glass but it has been my experience (after 9 of them) that they too will develop stress cracks. It seems that once the windshield is cut (I have only tried curved glass) the built in stress is relieved and it trys to re-adjust. The problem stems from the inner and outer glass expanding at two different rates causing the problem. It might work on flat glass without cracking. Just never tried it.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

My experience has been much the same as Dave has mentioned. Windshields look okay initially once cut but the smallest of flaws in the cut just takes off one day. All windshields are definitely saftety laminated glass. As for any type of tempered side glass, forget about that. Tempered glass is cut to size before tempering. After that any attempt to cut it does indeed make it explode into tiny pieces.

This is just 0.02 cents of mine. I had bought a windshield for a custom body I'm building, first week I had it it cracked on the inner pannel that was about a year ago. Its just a template so I'm not particularly disapointed and $150 for template its not bad. Anyway.... though it was preatty close to my fit it had corners that where bit off. this may come bit strange and I know some of you will say that is crazy way of cutting glass but i had it stuck in body filler pulled it out with out any further cracks and dragged it on concrete garage floor, maybe I just got lucky with it. what I had dome was I put aluminum oxide 220 paper on my belt sander and gring off corners from it about 1 inch in from original. One thing about doing this is if you overheat the glass it will start chattering and not grind perfectly square. Second corner I went slower and seemed to go much nicer.

From my experiences neither glass can be successfully cut with lasting effects. Tempered glass is impossible. I tried the waterjet method and sandblasting, neither being successfull. As far as the windshield, it can be cut, but wont last for long. Any little vibration on the glass will eventually cause it to crack at some point where it was cut.
    I spent $1700 for a place out in OHIO to make me custom glass for the side windows of my Murcie, so that I could make the windows go up and down. They are 5/32" thick just like the actual Murcie, and are DOT approved tempered glass.
    If you have a Murcie kit, you do not need to cut the windshield to make it fit. On my TG LP640, I cut a slot for the corners of the windshield to slip into, and then the trim at the lower edge of the windshield covers the slot. It uses the '96 Nissan Maxima windshield, remasked to match the Murcie pattern.
    Without talent experience is worthless

Hey MURCIE-ME......a bunch of guys on PFF are wanting to make custom side glass for there Fiero chop tops.......would this company in OHIO be able to do something like that??? The glass is quite curved, but could I send them a template out of plexi, and then have them produce it?? If you have any contact info.....please let me know.
    Thanks!!

They specialize in making all types of glass for the automotive industry. Their main business is making glass for prototype cars for Ford, GM, and Chrysler. All you need to send them is a template of the size and shape of the glass, and the curvature you want (this can be either a template of the curve or the radius in inches). Here is their website;
    http://www.autotempinc.com/
    Without talent experience is worthless

Quote Originally Posted by SAFASTRO
    Hey MURCIE-ME......a bunch of guys on PFF are wanting to make custom side glass for there Fiero chop tops.......would this company in OHIO be able to do something like that??? The glass is quite curved, but could I send them a template out of plexi, and then have them produce it?? If you have any contact info.....please let me know.
    Thanks!!
    I have DOT side glass windows for Fiero Chop tops when I did my first Chop Top Fiero. These people on PFF are like little Children that follow a man called V8 Archie. I sit back and let them deal with this for over three years now and in this time all of the chops I have done have all glass windows. It is very amusing to me to see it being talked about year after year when I have the answers to their problem but because I am not afraid like they are to tell the truth about Archie they will do without and keep using his plastic windows. I have even offered to put a set in an Archie Chop for free labor just to prove him wrong but they are afraid it will tell the truth and prove Archie wrong so they do without them. I had to take many measurements and many templates to get a window to work because of the extreme curve when they think they will have a direct bolt in it can be done maybe but will cost more than most new cars.
    Here is a youtube link to a video of my windows in a chop tell me if it is worth trying to help these people after seeing the video I sell the windows for $400.00 a set. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLq1TINDmOE
    www.kikkerbikes.com

Hey....thanks guys for the info!!
    MURCIE-ME.....you say they are about $1700.00?? Not too bad really for custom glass!
    FF355Spider.....I've never seen that video.....looks like they fit great! How much of a chop are they for? 2"-3"?? Any pics of your car all complete?
    Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by MURCI-ME
    From my experiences neither glass can be successfully cut with lasting effects. Tempered glass is impossible. I tried the waterjet method and sandblasting, neither being successfull. As far as the windshield, it can be cut, but wont last for long. Any little vibration on the glass will eventually cause it to crack at some point where it was cut.
    I spent $1700 for a place out in OHIO to make me custom glass for the side windows of my Murcie, so that I could make the windows go up and down. They are 5/32" thick just like the actual Murcie, and are DOT approved tempered glass.
    If you have a Murcie kit, you do not need to cut the windshield to make it fit. On my TG LP640, I cut a slot for the corners of the windshield to slip into, and then the trim at the lower edge of the windshield covers the slot. It uses the '96 Nissan Maxima windshield, remasked to match the Murcie pattern.
    Hey thats a neat idea.