Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Porsche Trans for longitudinal install

Porsche Trans for longitudinal install

OK;

I have been running aorund in my new midlife crisis Porsche Boxster for the past few weeks and I find that the transmission in this car is excellent and smooth shifting.

I have started looking around the net for more info on the transmission model and whether I can find some dimensions of it.

The model is a G86/01 in my car but there is also a G86/00 covered by the same sites I am finding. Not sure what the differences are yet.

Does anyone have any more info on this Porsche gearbox versus the G50 which you have to turn over and play around with the oiling on etc. to use in a longitudinal setup?

I am going to keep digging around to see if maybe this might be a suitable condidate for our kits depending on length and strength etc. I know it is a lot of fun in the Boxster.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Re: Porsche Trans for longitudinal install

Don,

From what I have found it isnt as strong as the G50. It is more in line with the Audi/ VW variants

If it is a 5 speed gear box then you are in luck, The G86 Gear box is the same gear box that comes in the audi a4 and the volks waggen passat. The Transmission is an audi 012. Not only are there plenty of them but if you look you can find them really cheap. I just picked one up yesterday for $99. Im not sure what year it came in in the audi A4 but for the passat it came in years 98-and on. There are many codes for it like DHW, DHY, EZG, and about 4 more codes. These are all american statistics, Hope this helps.

One more thing to add, For strength wise no one has proven it yet, however they come with the 2.8L passats, and 2.7L audi v6's. From what I have read around these gearboxes usually out last the motors. There are plenty of people who have been 200,000 + miles with no problem with it. And if you are referring to the 6 speed porsche, Then that is the Audi 01x transmission.

Justin

justin,
    Do you know what the measurment is from the front flange (where it mounts to the motor) to the centerline of the axle? The audi 5000 trans is 7.87" and I need something a little less then that if possible.

Yes it is exactly 7 inches. Just measured it tonight. Also the entire transmission length is 23 inches. Anymore questions let me know i will be happy to answer what ever i can

Justin

thanks... almost an inch may help... Since you have one right there, can you post a photo of the trans from different angles? Also how large or a pressure plate can be installed with this trans? I plan to use a 4.9 V8 so clamping force will be important

I had a bad long day today, so give me until tomorrow night and i will take some measurements, and some pictures for you, I am going to be bolting this to a Lexus v8 motor (1uzfe), so I will have some of the same dilemmas as you.

Thanks
    Justin

Understand that Justin so dont rush....

Don... sorry for stealing your post.

Here are some pics for you, I sorry if they are not very good, I used my cell phone.

Dont know if you can read it but that is 14 and a half inches.

the presure plate is from a toyota mr2 and has a 11 inch diameter

Pressure plate sitting inside the transmission.

Various shots of transmission