Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: scratch-built exotic for under 7k?

scratch-built exotic for under 7k?

If you can learn to fabricate fiberglass and weld tubes together, and have lots of time(!), you should be able to scratch-build an exotic for under $7k. Here's the breakdown ....

steel tubes for chassis .........................................500
    plywood, foam, plaster for body-buck ....................1000
    fiberglass for mold & 1st generation panels ..............1500
    engine and trans 6cylinder .....................................800
    interior .................................................. ............700
    wheels&tires .................................................. .....800
    suspension&brakes ...............................................800
    windshield and glass .............................................800

Total.....................$6900

*And you'd have the molds/jigs to start your own business .... Care to explore the possibilities?

Re: scratch-built exotic for under 7k?

I have a question. What did you base those figures on? You are not even close...

if your lookin' for just the body being acurate then maybe adding $5,000 more and you could get by.............if you want an interior that looks like original then thats another few $$$.

Fairly accurate.... don't forget brackets, hangers, sheet metal and so on, this will come it at about the same price.

Perhaps just for the fiberglass parts if you make it yourself. Add in material and stitching to bring this to about $3000.00 to $5000.00. I have seen some as high as $10K.

Really, show me where!! I cant even buy tires for my Mustang for that. My current build that won't even buy 1 rear tire.

Brakes on my current build were $3500.00. Last build $2000.00

I have seen it.

How about steering rack, steering column, brake booster and master, clutch control, throttle control, relays, wiring, fuses, switches, hoses, hose clamps, tubing, radiators, gas tank, sensor for gauges, gauges, hinges, latches, handles, tail lights, headlights, paint, gallons of bondo, sandpaper, pedals, window motors, window tracks, AC system, heater system, wheel bearings, driveaxles, suspension bushings, ball joints, shocks, springs are just few things off the top of my head are needed to make a homebuilt car roll down the road.

So far I am at about $40,000.00 and still need interior work and paint.

I have a proven layout to make a homebuilt car a driveable car on a CD.
    info1@kwikercars.com

Cheers;
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jdinner
    Fairly accurate.... don't forget brackets, hangers, sheet metal and so on, this will come it at about the same price.

Perhaps just for the fiberglass parts if you make it yourself. Add in material and stitching to bring this to about $3000.00 to $5000.00. I have seen some as high as $10K.

Really, show me where!! I cant even buy tires for my Mustang for that. My current build that won't even buy 1 rear tire.

Brakes on my current build were $3500.00. Last build $2000.00

I have seen it.

How about steering rack, steering column, brake booster and master, clutch control, throttle control, relays, wiring, fuses, switches, hoses, hose clamps, tubing, radiators, gas tank, sensor for gauges, gauges, hinges, latches, handles, tail lights, headlights, paint, gallons of bondo, sandpaper, pedals, window motors, window tracks, AC system, heater system, wheel bearings, driveaxles, suspension bushings, ball joints, shocks, springs are just few things off the top of my head are needed to make a homebuilt car roll down the road.

So far I am at about $40,000.00 and still need interior work and paint.

I have a proven layout to make a homebuilt car a driveable car on a CD.
    info1@kwikercars.com

Cheers;
    Jim

Pretty good list but you forgot all of the tools to assemble the car such as welder, angle grinder, grinder and cutting discs, sawsall, jacks, jack stands, wrenches, sockets, hoists, air compressor, adhesives, wire strippers, crimps, sanding blocks, and a million other things that will come up along the way.

I clearly understand why he has one post... ;D Not in your wildest dreams!!!!

fast 960

Are you for real? wish I could have spent only that much to build a mold. Total spent on my buck and mold build $30,000 plus still more being spent every day on material to get it completed and thousands of hours! and thats only the exterior, still have the interior to worry about.

I'm in the process of building my own body, I'm only at the mold stage and I'm close to 10,000.
    Mind you I have purchased rims and some small misc parts. So building something under $7000, I say try to build it and show us your cost count.

It can be done. Why on earth would you ad tools most people doing this already have them? I would also think you would already have an area to build the car. 2 or 3 k for brakes I just bought a whole car for six hundred bucks and it has brakes for free on it.
    Come on guys why does every one try to post prices five times more than actual cost?
    I am actualy starting to build my own exotic and with materials and car I am at $800.00 at this point. I have got most of my body building materials from dumpsters. Cardboard boxes are free and you can do wonders with it. Many places through away wood also I have a large pile of it for free. I have a lot of foam from new construction sights some was full sheets.
    All I am saying is donít say it cannot be done. If a person is smart and resourceful and not wasteful anything can happen.
    www.kikkerbikes.com

Ummmm.....
    If you look at the original poster, he says learn how to weld and fiberglass. Do you really think this guy has tools? Anyone who has built a car also knows learning is expensive. There is a guy on pro-touring.com that is building a nice mustang for less than $5K, but he has payed his dues in learning to do all the work himself and using his resources to find the best deals. Those skills are not going to be available to a new learner. Keep us updated on your progress. You sound resourceful but things alway cost more than you expect when you add the little things unless you compromise the finished product.