Thread: Starting a project.

Starting a project.

I have been roaming a few replica/kit car forums, and have finally decided to post. I see everybody tackling great projects, and quite often succeeding, so more and more I have been thinking of getting started on my own project. Before I do so, i'd love to have a few of my questions answered.

My task will be the Murciélago.

I have looked at a few different sites/forums for a quality kit that wont run me over 7k, around the 8.5k mark would be the maximum I would spend on one. With that said, I looked over at "kitcarinc" Their deals seem to be too good to be true, their "mercy1" kit is only 3-5k, depending on which day of the week you visit their site, or which of their videos you watch, since in each one the price is different. I also looked at the g28kits, they seem to run around the 8/9k mark and 10600 with shipping/handling included.

I am also wondering what a build such as this would cost. Keep in mind, I have my own garage, majority of the tools, and quite likely can get the car painted by my friends autobody shop for free or rather cheap. I plan to do all the work with My father since he's aging and neither of us can remember one thing we have done together. He has about 30 years of experience as he was a car mechanic so he has knowledge on how to extend/weld frames and can probably do all the metal work himself.

The plan is to use a pontiac fiero chasis and extend it 11 inches, but with this a few questions arise. How stable is a kit car on a highway, does it shake/deform under speed, or is it just a regular car?

I would appreciate any help, as I don't want to create a "lemon"

Re: Starting a project.

check my parts for sale in the mall section

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmeansgo
    check my parts for sale in the mall section
    I have seen this add a few days ago, I was contemplating on contacting you about it, but wasn't sure If I would buy it, so didn't want to waste your time. I am also looking for a coupe, the roadster/no top isnt too weather friendly where I live.

Who produced that kit, and what was the price you paid?

i had already sent you a pm with info

Thanks a lot for the PM, I appreciate it. As this is my first build that will hopefully be of many, I dont want to spend 13k for a kit, since it will be my learning curve, where I can practice and such. I have looked at a few kit manufacturers, but most have shut down their websites because of Audi's "letter", so somewhat hard to get good leads on which kits are good and at which price.

Do you or anyone else have any knowledge of kitcarin? And has anybody on here ever bought anything from them or contacted them. I tried searching for more info on the company, but all I get is mixed reviews from speculators.

i didnt say thats what i wanted but what i paid for it all, lol. for fiero, body, interior, taillights ect. $9500

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmeansgo
    i didnt say thats what i wanted but what i paid for it all, lol. for fiero, body, interior, taillights ect. $9500
    I know thats not the amount you wanted for it, that was your purchasing price, and since I was looking at getting the coupe version, if i was to buy it from the manufacturer, i would guess it would run me the same 13k mark you paid.