Thread: Need a suitable donor car.

Need a suitable donor car.

So For the past few weeks I have been thinking of starting a Murcielago build. After a long debate with myself, i've decided to contact a 3d designer that lives in the UK. He mostly designs for gaming and other 3d software. One of his designs particularly grabbed my attention.

There we're a few problems with the design, well not so much problems, but small flaws. As you can see on the door, the glass goes past the door frame, about 4 to 5 inches. Meaning you wouldn't be able to close the windows. I have changed that, as well, the hood was "shallow" and sat too low in the car, so we've moved that up too, making it possible to mount the kit on both a front engine, and rear engine car.

There are small perspective issues on the model, but all will be finalized in the next few days/weeks. The car is about the size of the Diablo, or the old Jota. I have been trying to find a suitable donor car, since I don't want to have to build a chassis, but If it comes down to it, I will. Id like a donor car as well, since I plan on selling Kits once its complete. All the necessary parts(fiber glass, supports, etc) have been purchased, just need to set the size of it, and print auto cad sheets.

Some of the current donors which have been suggested by co-workers, are;

Ford probe: For its size, would mean minimal or no need for a strech, down fall is a fwd car, front engine.

Ford mustang: Again for its size, rear engine, and the low prices. Downfall is front engine.

Pontiac Fiero: Rear wheel, rear engine, needs streching,

Toyota mr2, rear wheel, rear engine, needs streching and are quite expensive where I live. from 6k to 12k

If you could please suggest a donor, since I'm getting all out of ideas, and also let me know how interested you would be in such a kit car.

p.s. building will begin in 45-60 days, once all the designs have been finalized, donor has been chosen, etc...

Re: Need a suitable donor car.

I would not consider the Ford Probe. Cheap, available, but also limited in power, almost 15 years old.
    Mustang is an ok choice, but your design will require extensive modification.

I'd say your only choices for a donor are the Fiero or MR2. I'm biased with the Fiero - have owned almost a dozen of them in various condition. The frame stretch is really not that big a deal, and can be done in a weekend. I don't think the same can be said for the MR2, being more a unibody. I've seen some posts that are critical of the safety of an MR2 (or Boxter) stretch, and am inclined to agree, though I think welding extra support can more than make up for the issue.

If this were my project, I'd try to make it fit a Diablo/Murci chassis or Fiero donor with the correct stretch. Availability of the chassis, and not having to build it yourself would make it easier to produce, and cheaper in the long run. Perhaps a GT40 frame would also be a good choice? You could source them from ERA, or another manufacturer.

The design itself is really stunning from the side view. i think it looks great there. I do think the rear spoiler/hatch is a little fussy, and I'm not fond of the lip across the hood though. The X in the rear view turned me off at first, but is growing on me the more I see it. I think it would be a good project, and if the price were right could be a good seller.

The ford probe was our first option, since its so easy to find, and very cheap. However, we have a used one sitting in a shop nearby, and after looking at its under body, and frame, it seems to be falling into pieces, very unlikely we will use it.

On the other hand, the mustang seems to be a good choice, it will require major reworking, but the wheel spacing, seems to be ideal for the car, the tasks we would have to do to the mustang are as follow; Cut the roof, remove most of the front metal work, the supports and some parts of the frame, move the dash about 4" to the front, and 1" down. To make sure the driver can fit, the floor will be moved 2" down, making a very long and tedious cutting/welding process to make sure the seats/driver are in the right position, meaning the driver has a good line of sight. The driver will be very low to the ground, making for a very scary ride *Evil grin* Also a deffinite plus for using a mustang is the amount of mods for it. I should also mention if we do use a mustang, it will be a 1994-1996mustang, either a v8 or a v6 manual as they are quite cheap, (only 1.5-3.5k).

We have built carbon fiber parts before, and some plastic parts as well. I was just wondering, how stable is a kit car at high speeds? Does it shake/have wind noise, or does it all depend on how well you build and fasten the body?

shake is from unstrait chassis and wind noise is from non airtight seals

Thanks,

as well, here is the designers original renders, with some textures applied, we are planing a black color with a gunmetal accent on the trim pieces on on the "x" at the back, and the "y" at the front.

Feel free to check out his website as he has some interesting designs to say the least.

So i got ahold of a 3d model of the ford mustang, 1995. Its a coupe, and it would seem this kit would need a soft top, since it would be "easier" Ill show what I mean, here some pictures.

Red car is the mustang, its low poly, but the dimensions are correct. The wheels are off by about 4"

We're also working on fitting it to a second 3d model of another possible donor car, will post that in a few hours, or tomorrow morning.

WOW... really a nice design man.. i think u could easily find the rear light coz.. it's similar to skyline GTR 34. just to reallocate the light. anyway .. nice design..

Te rear light isnt a problem, its the need for a good donor, more and more the mustang is falling out of the picture. I will see how the Fiero can fit, and how much stretching needs to be done. Im going to bed, quite late here

I think the real trouble you will have with the Mustang is the location of the Firewall - if you keep it front engined, you are going to have a tough time moving that. If you don't then the dash is going to be in the Mustang location, and will have to extend another foot forward to fit the new windshield location. If you've ever seen pics of a Murci kit on a Boxter chassis, you know what I mean - the dash is really in an odd location.