Thread: Bending Plexigless questions.

Bending Plexigless questions.

OK...THIRD TIME TRYING TO POST THIS. Am planning to begin work on the plexiglass covers for the lights. Have .080" thick pieces. At what temp will this bend? Can I use a heat gun and the fiberglass I cut out as a guide for the bend or am I abou to make a huge molten mess?

michael
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

Re: Bending Plexigless questions.

I have never done it but this site says 260/280c

http://www.wizdforums.co.uk/archive/...hp/t-4119.html

Mike,
    Glad to hear you are still at it. I had a rear window that had a curve to it, and used an oven and some mits to shape it. Heat it up to whatever temp they tell you, and then bend it over something curved (with maybe terrycloth over it). I wouldn't use a heatgun, that will just melt the outer surface of it and it will start to burn, and the inside will still be cold and brittle. Tried this and broke a few pieces before I figured out you need to heat the whole thing evenly and then shape the part. Good luck, at least you know that acrylic plastic is cheap so if it isn't right, try again! Eric

i've seen it done where you use a wooden buck/mold of the shape you need.he then laid the plexie over it and put it in an oven.its been a while but i seem to remember 300 degrees.i dont remember how long.i do know that the plastic formed to the shape with no extra handling

try using a flood light some of those are really hot similar to the red heat bulb that you see warming foods. Also if you have a propane heater you can use one of these kept at a distance because you can slowly warn a large area.

Thanks to all for the advice. Due to the fact that I am home alone today ;D I decided to be brave enough to try the oven method. Just finished my first attempt and I am impressed with the results for the first time. Much easier than I thought it might be. Will try to post picts etc on my Update on my build thread, say a prayer for me that I will be able post the picts. It never works right for me on this site for some reason.

michael

Hi,
    optimal temp. are 260/280 c degrees, and take out the plexi just after the curve is done, if you leave more time can it be dangerous !
    Good luck !

From what I already know your temp range should be correct for that type of plastic you are working with. If you have a way to circulate the air in your oven you will get better results. (from what Iím told) I spoke with a plastics engineer last year about forming headlight lenses. He recommended to size them a bit larger to allow for possible shrinkage and to also over composite for what ever you are shaping. The acrylic will tend to pull away from the form as it cools.

Good luck Ė Iím curious what you are using for a form.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    From what I already know your temp range should be correct for that type of plastic you are working with. If you have a way to circulate the air in your oven you will get better results. (from what Iím told) I spoke with a plastics engineer last year about forming headlight lenses. He recommended to size them a bit larger to allow for possible shrinkage and to also over composite for what ever you are shaping. The acrylic will tend to pull away from the form as it cools.

Good luck Ė Iím curious what you are using for a form.
    The hood came uncut but with faint guides for cutting out the F40 standard lights. I expanded the opening and saved the piece I removed. I used it to melt the plexiglass on as a guide.

michael
    Attached Images Attached Images    

[/quote]

The hood came uncut but with faint guides for cutting out the F40 standard lights. I expanded the opening and saved the piece I removed. I used it to melt the plexiglass on as a guide.

michael
    [/quote]

I would have Norm make me the standard covers and just have him make the tops and side larger. I think he uses Lexan and uses a vacuum to form it. Much better quality and lot less hassle IMO.