Thread: 3d cad into sections help + Other question

3d cad into sections help + Other question

Is there an easy way to take a 3d cad and convert it into the 2d sectional drawing usable for the projector onto the ply wood method.
    Also aside from spending I assume big bucks to have the pieces laser cut, any one have a accurate method for marking and cutting the templates out of the ply wood?

Finally, when pulling parts from the mold, how is it that you get a straight and specific cut to the part?
    Seems like if you eye ball it all parts would come out slightly diffrent.
    Must be a trick.

Sorry if these are stupid questions.

Thank you.

Re: 3d cad into sections help + Other question

The way you would do this, or rather the way im doing it right now. Is separate each "part" of the car into a section. For example, Bumper/rear bumper. Since bumpers have more detail on them, and more curves, they should have guides every 2inches, while larger pieces such as the hood/trunk should have guides every 4inches.

For getting separate mold pieces, you can separate the body with masking tape, to give your body pieces (trunk/doors/hood etc.) work on getting the molds of one piece at a time. Once you have the side fenders for example, then clean off the residue, start on the hood, You will of course need to shave the edges on the mold, and sand them down perhaps. As well, its worth mentioning to have a 2" over hang on each mold you are making, so if you make a error you can just shave the error off, instead of having to restart the mold from beginning.

Hope that helped, as well, if you find a good method for the autocad slicing, let me know, as I need that as well for my next project

The ease of doing this as some to do with the type software your model was created it. For instance, if it were modeled in Rhino3d it is a pretty simple thing for me to do cross sections. It it were made as meshes it is not so simple for me to do. Others, might be able to do it easier, but I have a problem with it.

Imagine looking at the car from the top view and draw lines across the width of the car in the position you want it to be "sliced"! If it is a closed volume model in Rhino, I simply extrude those cross lines into planes or surfaces, use the split command and slice the model with those surfaces. Once that is done, I reverse the process and slice the cross sections using the body. Now I have my outlines of the cross sections. Remember some folks slice across the car, the length of the car, and horizontal sections down the length of the car from the side view as well. Lots of time, and lots of work.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Whisper2Me
    The way you would do this, or rather the way im doing it right now. Is separate each "part" of the car into a section. For example, Bumper/rear bumper. Since bumpers have more detail on them, and more curves, they should have guides every 2inches, while larger pieces such as the hood/trunk should have guides every 4inches.

For getting separate mold pieces, you can separate the body with masking tape, to give your body pieces (trunk/doors/hood etc.) work on getting the molds of one piece at a time. Once you have the side fenders for example, then clean off the residue, start on the hood, You will of course need to shave the edges on the mold, and sand them down perhaps. As well, its worth mentioning to have a 2" over hang on each mold you are making, so if you make a error you can just shave the error off, instead of having to restart the mold from beginning.

Hope that helped, as well, if you find a good method for the autocad slicing, let me know, as I need that as well for my next project

What I mean is two things....

one when you are building the mold off the plug (whatever it is--hood, bumper, body ect.) You build up your layers of fiberglass to X amount. You obiuosly overhang the fiberglass so you have a bit to trim off. My question is I assume you use a router or something to trim it down to ddesired size but how do you make sure it cuts it straight or whatever you want? You can possibly free hand it since it wouldn't come out exact.

My next question was after the mold is done, and you've made your fiberglass parts and your pulling them out of the mold, do you again use a router with a cut off bit and put ther bearing against the mold and use the edge of the mold as the guide and cut the peice to shape?

If that is how it generally works, then back to my first question is how do you make sure that first trimming of the mold is exact and accurate?

Thanks.

PS.. Turmite, thanks for the reply, I'll have to try it out.