Thread: V8 powered reverse trike ideal

V8 powered reverse trike ideal

I had a strange ideal of building a reverse trike that is front wheel drive...the motor would sit backwards and run through a AOD trans.

Any ideals on what would be a good front end to use that can handle the power...I was thinking of a half ton front suspension from a Ford or Chevy truck.
    Thanx

Re: V8 powered reverse trike ideal

I had looked into a 3 wheeler back in the late 80's called the Triton or Triad, just not sure. It had the entire drivetrain from a VW rabbit installed up front with a single trailing wheel in the back. The car had very good handling characteristics (.88 or better on the skidpad, stock) and did seat two people with even some trunk space in the rear. Only problem I kind of see with the way you're doing this is it would be springing for a much heavier vehicle in what is probably going to be a much lighter weight design.

if it's going to be front wheel drive, why bother with a rear wheel drive truck frame? I'd suggest using a late model FWD V8 car - something like a Cadillac, Olds Aurora, Pontiac Grand Prix GXP, or Impala SS. Find a wrecked one, hit rear, and you'd be set. Of course, that would make the engine go in sideways, but a lot of the work would be done for you, particularly steering. You'd also know the frame could handle it.

Oh,yeah, how about the Ls fwd complete drivetrain takeout? That would give you the nice 4T65E HD tranny and a baseline of at least 300 h.p. In a sleek lightweight 3 wheeler you'd have gobs of power plus a drivtrain with a low center of gravity. Shram auto parts is getting these units in fairly regularly now.

Great ideals on the front wheel drive car suspension...didn't even think of that...that would save some weight on the front end...and I might add that I had no intention of using any part of the truck frame...my trike frame will be all new, but using a front wheel drive suspension would make for amuch easier install.

I have a new 5.0 that's been pumped with goodies...good for 350+hp at the flywheel...and fuel injected I might add...I wanted to use the newer AODE4 tranny...my ideal is to sit between the front wheels so that all you see is pavement in front of you...a full adrenaline rush!...a car that your friend will actually ask you to please slow down!...Ha! Ha! Ha!...I want to build something different and unusual...I want it to look like it came from the future, but not to flashy with spoilers and scoops...just nice clean lines.

The trike design has several advantages over the 4 wheel counter part...first thing obvious will be lost weight of the 4th suspension components and brake and wheel...along with the reduced weight of the frame and body mass...another advantage would be different smog rules cuz now your in the motorcycle group with all lights and mirror regulations.

I am surprised at all the response...you guys are just the reason why I joined this forum...full of ideals

So,you mention the LS...what is the LS?...doesn't ring a bell...is this a full size front wheel drive luxury car?

I think that if I can keep the center of gravity low and use some sticky tires, I would have a machine that will eat almost anything in its path...performance wise that is...it should accelerate like a rocket ship and handle as good as a corvette...but these are all guesses at this point...I also believe that I might encounter some steering pull on acceleration if not designed well...it might not be as bad with posi-traction though.

Thanks for all the advise guys!

The LS series drivetrain is the further development of the LS1, LS2, and LS3 variations of the V8 found in 1998 plus Corvettes. In cars like the Grand Prix GT, GM had decided to replace the 3800 SCII as their top of the line motor with a LS series V8 turned sideways for front wheel drive. A few of these complete drivetrains (with the matching high performance auto trans) have already been transplanted in Pontiac Fieros with excellent results. Another thing with that particular motor is that it does have DOD (displacement on demand) which turns off 4 cylinders under light loads. From what I understand that system can be left "as is" or turned off. Since a trike is going to be experiencing less load than the full sized car it came from the DOD system might give it some great fuel economy numbers plus extreme performance.

DarrelK
    Thanks for the info...I just need the suspension components...I already have 9K invested in a EFI Ford racing harness and a complete 5.0 with all the goodies that I was going to install in another project...I will be using the 5.0 with a newer overdrive trans...I just need to figure out which front axle I will be using that has CV axles...I am researching the Dodge stealth front axle but am also looking at other possibilities...front axles can be custom built with different inner and outer CV joints.

So I just need to look for a V8 powered Chevy based front wheel drive platform?...how is the handling geometry and which ones have the best upgrade possibilities?...like bigger brakes swaps and sway bars...any ideals for a front axle from a 4 wheel drive car other than previously mentioned?