Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelmark Build (rebuild)

Hello to all from a newbie.

I'm going to post and annotate pix of my build up to this point, and continue with my planned modifications this winter.

I started with a really nice '78 Kelmark / Mid-Engineering - I purchased it about three years ago from the original owner, with 5500 miles, never having spent a night outside. SBC and 'vair transaxle

My dream for the car is a good bit different from his, but he's enjoying my mods, as his health is declining. Here are two pictures, the first how it was when I got it, and the second how it is today (I did drive it to work).

I found the period-correct Harwood Formula 5000 hoodscoop on EBay; modified the rear suspension and had Diamond stock car wheels made to fit (17X13 rear); and made the nose tilt, with re-jiggered signal lights and a GT-40-inspired heat extractor for the re-configured cooling system.

Goal this winter is a reversed big-block setup on a new frame, and a tilt rear body section.

Long-term goals are a 10.29 quarter mile, and 204 mph at Maxton - because that will beat the Kelmark Car & Driver tested back in the day.

Forrest
    Attached Files

Re: Kelmark Build (rebuild)

looks good just take that scoop off and put them on the sides like the mr2 turbo scoop. Do that each side and will look alot better

Comment

Same cruise-in at Summit, a year apart, with the old skinny rear wheels and then after the changes, parked beside the same truck!
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie
        looks good just take that scoop off
        Well, yeah, but it's my tribute to Mid-Engineering's demonstrator car way back then, and I need the space for the tunnel ram on the new engine.

Forrest

Comment

Nice... I have black Kelmark GT, but My car VW based. I livin in Hungary. www.kitcar.hu/ferrarireplika/index_f.html

Comment

My favorite angle - going for the late '60s CanAm vibe.

Forrest
            Attached Files

Comment

Camera setup for parade laps at the Walter Mitty at Road Atlanta - fast as you want, just no passing! Holding back before the back straight, I got to around 120 and then hard on the brakes before passing.

Forrest
              Attached Files

Comment

Great job on the car so far ;D.. I must say those tires are HUGE.. The car looks so much better with the new posture, no more "bow legged" rear tires.. The functional vented hood and new blinkers look excellent and so much better than what you started with.. Get that big block in her and paint her black (The car would look great black) 8).. I will be watching your build/rebuild...

--Mr Ferrari--
                http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8...errari1kk7.jpghttp://img526.imageshack.us/img526/6500/antfw3.gif

Comment

Obviously, these skinny tires and wheels weren’t going to cut it in this century. The original purchaser / builder of the car was a physicist for Michelin, and in ’78 Michelin was in the thick of things with their new TRX radial, with the metric rim diameter. Apparently, Keystone wheels did a small production run for Michelin just for these two tire sizes, with a Chevy 5X4¾ pattern. I’ve never seen any info on these wheels. The tires were the originals he put on in ’78 – only 5000 miles, but nearly 30 years old.

I ran with them a while, lapped Road Atlanta gingerly a few times, and did one leg of the Hot Rod 2006 Power Tour - picture is lining up in the AM leaving the Warner Robbins, GA fairgrounds - me and the "T" guy slept on the ground!
                  Attached Files

Comment

I wanted to replicate the look of the Kelmark in the C&D pictures in race trim – stamped black steel wheels and Goodyears. I kept my eye out, and bought a pair of 335-35-17 and a pair of 225-50-16, each pair for $60 at two different used tire places. Got home and had to stuff the bare tire under the rear fender - cool!

I later painted in the Goodyear emblem with yellow Testors plastic model paint – it’s evidently safe for rubber.

Forrest
                    Attached Files

Comment

Next, I looked around on the web for who could make me some steel wheels with the dimensions I needed. I decided on Diamond wheels, and their stock-car 8-spoke stamped steel design. I got (2) 17x13 custom made, and (2) 16x8 from stock. Got the tires mounted, and was happy with the shiny black and bright yellow. It fit with my goal of going for “aggressive” rather than “refined” for the car.

Forrest
                      Attached Files

Comment

I determined where I wanted the outer edge of the tire to be in relation to the body. After that, I determined the wheel offset to get the mounting to match the existing rear drums spacing. After all THAT, I figured how much I would have to notch the rear suspension trailing arms. Also, I would need to convert to coilovers and tilt the tops inboard to clear the inner lip of the rim.

Forrest
                        Attached Files

Comment

I took the opportunity to replace the stock Corvair lower lateral suspension members with some adjustable rod ends threaded into swaged tubes (all from Summit), and made a simple mount for the coilover tops, by just cutting off the ends of the 2x2 frame crossmember

Forrest
                          Attached Files

Comment

Finished up, with the new/old hoodscoop as well

Forrest
                            Attached Files

Comment

Always loved how Don Sherman talked about that Harwood Formula 5000 hoodscoop on Mid-Engineering’s demonstrator car in the old Car & Driver article, something about scared passers-by and a death ray. So, I had to have one. Finally found a decent one for a good price on EBay – Harwood hadn’t made them for decades, they said.

Forrest
                              Attached Files

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X