Build Diary on the 69 GTO??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Build Diary on the 69 GTO??

Okay guys/gals, update on the GTO build. My wife and I are going to Mt. Angel the first weekend of March to pick up a relatively rust free 1969 Lemans body shell thats complete from the cowl back, with a frame and suspension. The rear bumper is gone, and the very bottoms of the quarters may need attention, but thats it except for various little dings and dents. Also, paying $750 for it. Now the questions to you folks, Rachel and I are working on a 1969 real 242 GTO hardtop. THe car needs the trunk floor replaced, some interior floor parts replaced, and the quarters had been replaced at one time by the dumba@@ brothers!! They didnt seem the inside edge and just left it and it was wavy for goodness sake. So, question is, I do not want to turn the GTO into a replica because I am using Lemans body, I am keeping the front fenders, hood, frame, suspension, and the engine and trans. Also, this car was never going to be turned back to original. I want to make a Gmachine out of her. !9" wheels and so on. Paxton supercharger, and after market suspension and rear disc brakes. So, any comments or ideas?? I am looking at cutting the front cowl out of the GTO and placing it into the cowl section of the Lemans. Let me know Folks, need your responses!!! JB

Comment

JB;

I would say take the Lemans body and frame you have that is in good shape and fit the GTO front end to it. You are not going for original anyway and will not be trying to represent it that way with the work you plan to do to it so I would say make the car exactly what you want.

I have a '67 Mustang that also requires the same amount of rust removal as your GTO does so I am actively searching another same year car in better shape as cutting out and replacing floors and trunks and rockers and inner fender wells and quarters and.... well you get my point... is just too much work overall. Easy to get replacement parts for your GTO rusted areas but you still have to cut, grind, weld and clean regardless. If you can get what you want from the Lemans, I say go for it.

I think a supercharger up through the hood would be outstanding.....

My opinion anyway.

Good luck and make sure you have fun at it....
      Don
      308 Ferrari replica
      Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Hey Don, actually the supercharger is one that would be under the hood. It attaches to a blow through carb and adds 75 to 100 HP!! Also I love the look of the original GTO hood. She will have the hood tach and rear spoiler as well. Thanks, JB

Comment

Okay Folks, I went with my wife to pick up the 69 Lemans shell, and lets just say that this guy was the exact opposite of the jerk we bought the GTO from. The fellow we got the lemans from is named Chris, and he is honest to a fault. This is the story, Rachel and I went up to Mt Angel, Oregon to buy the shell with frame and suspension for $750.00. We borrowed a good friends diesel Ford Excursion and trailer to tow it with. Well, we got up there and I noticed the car had front fenders and a hood on it. Chris said, "I know I told you the car was relatively free of rust (Some surface), but I need to show you something. Well, the passenger side floor board had rust pin holes in it. Chris proceeded to show me around his other cars and I told him that the Lemans was still a far better shell than the GTO one I was working with and still wanted it and handed Chris $750.00 in cash. As we were walking back to load the Lemans and Chris said, "Here" and handed me $100 back stating I would need to replace the passenger side floor. Well, I thanked him very much and as tight as money is with Rachel and I, I took it. We loaded the car up and drove the 300+ miles home without incident. Just the usual idiots sitting in the fast lane with the slow lane unoccupied:O) I will post some photos this weekend. This is going to make completeing the GTO soooo much easier!!!

Comment

Sorry Ive been gone for a spell, computer had a small meltdown. Well, as much as I hate to do it, I need to admit my failure as well as successes. The Lemans was not a failure, but my bodyman came over to check things out and as much as I hate to admit my stupidity to the good folks on this site, "Im a Dee dee Dee!!!! My bodyman Steve said he really just wanted to stick with the GTO shell and if needed we would just replace the quarters, and then any metal behind them if needed. Steve said the Lemans was not bad, it just that it had some bondo in it as well, and it would be easier and less work for both of us to just focus on the GTO and buy new metal from the various producing places like OPG and so on. I found a site in Arizona I believe, that sells new metal for the Goat. It is called Restoration Performance and I priced out the absolute worst case senario, and all the metal would cost about $3,000. Now mind you that is basically replacing EVERYTHING and we dont need to do that. Well I am pretty well done sandblasting the frame, and am going to coat it with a primer then of course a nice coat of gloss black tough paint. I know I have said this before, but I will post some more photos : Also, anyone heard of Jim Wangers new GTO he is making with the help of Big 5 Performance?? The thing is AWESOME to say the least. Not totally on board with all the body mods, but for the most part, it is really cool!!! Anyway, thanks for all the input from my friends on the site. I really do appreciate all you guys! JB

Comment

Okay, I posted a question already regarding this but thought maybe the question should be attached to the build thread. Does anyone know where to locate info on where the factory welds are located on the 1969 GTO?? I need to remove the cowl from this 69 Lemans and remove the one from my 69 GTO and put it in the place of the Lemans cowl. I guess I can just grind down the metal until I find the factory welds, but would rather know the location of the welds without removing alot of unnessecary metal. HELP GUYS!!! JB

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X