No announcement yet.

F40 Slow but worth it.....BUILD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is so motivating to read your updates! Beautiful work! Keep the updates coming. My favorite build on here! I hope to start building one of these after I am done my 670.

Comment

• Any progress?

Comment

• This is an an awesome thread - then highest quality f40 replica I have seen. Incredible craftsmanship.

Is there any way to restore the photos at the beginning of th thread?

Luke

Comment

• Hi all,

It is with a heavy heart that i write this but i have to be realistic about my F40 project.

It has been over a year again now since i have managed to work on the F40 and the build its
          self has been going for over 13 years now on and off. At no point in those 13 years has my
          love for this car or project changed, but that hasnt stopped life from getting in the way of
          the progress of the project. I am also my own worse enemy and im a stickler for detail and
          this has seen me re-do many aspects of the car numerous times each time trying to achieve a
          better level of finish while also making the end build for the customer easier. It would have
          been easy to have molded the body long ago without any though as to how it would ever fit to
          any kind of donor vehicle after, this would have then been upto each builder to work out on their
          own which would make the final builds complicated. My decision to use the Lotus Esprit S4 V8 TT
          as a donor was to enable the final build to be as simple as possible while also having a replica
          who's underpinnings matched it's perfomance exterior.

Whereas a replica body like this is usually bonded and glued onto the existing body work of the
          donor vehicle, with this design it completely replaces the donor body and is fitted to the chassis
          with only 12 bolts, this means that there is hardly any panel alignment to be done except for hanging
          the doors, as well as the front and rear end. With this being a replacement body onto an exisiting
          chassis, it means that it does not need to be IVA'd to be used on uk roads.

The project is now at a stage where i need to invest money into materials to produce the molds from
          the plug you have seen me building in the pictures. While this isnt an extortionate amount of money
          it is enough to bring a project like this to a stop because im at a point in my life, with a young
          family and other commitments, which mean that i connot afford to put the money into it. I will never
          sell this project and if i have to chip away at it until my retirement then that is what i will do
          but really this project deserves to be finished in a quicker time frame.

So realistically im now at a point where i have decided to see if anyone out there is interested
          in investing in having the first rolling shell produced for them self. If someone was to step forward
          and order the first rolling shell it would enable me to dedicate almost my entire working week to the
          project which would enable it to be finished within a decent time period.

This isnt going to be the cheapest replica going, and i will make a rough list below of some of the
          build costs to give you an idea:

Lotus Esprit S4 V8 TT donor around 25,000. The Lotus body, wheels and interior can be sold returning
          around 10,000 or more.

F40 replica wheels tires 5,000

Ferrari 308 windscreen, door window frame + glass, replica rear screen, cab rear window + side windows,
          replica headlight covers 5,000+

One of my relica bodies, molded using replice carbon/kevar wover fabric, fitted to the lotus chassis
          with doors hung and the front and rear end hung. This will be around 30,000 depending on spec and
          negotiations with the customer.

Im open to negotiate with someone over the exact build spec they would like right up to a turnkey finished car,
          and at minimum i am looking to work with someone to have the first body fitted to a donor rolling chassis.

If anyone out there is seriously interested in this project then please PM me and communications can go from
          there.

Many thanks

Comment

• I think you'll find it difficult to find someone to front that kind of money
            considering it's taken 13 years to get you to this point. Very few paying buyers
            Will be so patient when "life gets in the way " for you

Comment

• Any progress? I hope you kept the replica and are still chipping away?

Comment

• Hi all,

I wish there was an update but unfortunately work and other commitments mean that i havent touched the project for a long time but the decision has been made to keep it and to one day finally finish it!

Cheers

Comment

• Hi all,

I wish there was an update but unfortunately work and other commitments mean that i havent touched the project for a long time but the decision has been made to keep it and to one day finally finish it!

Cheers

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Looking amazing;

Good to see you are back at it. There are several of us in the same timeline for getting time to get out to the garage and finish our projects. Life gets in the way of a good time a lot.....

looking amazing so hopefully you are able to keep it up for a bit.

Cheers
                        Don
                        308 Ferrari replica
                        Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Hi Don,

Thanks for the comment,

Life can be very up and down at times! but at the moment it seems to be going in a much more positive direction. I have a job building race cars again and doing it all day really pushes me to finish my own stuff more.

The last few months have seen quite a change in the f40 now, as you can see in the pictures the tub is now bonded together and the majority of the cab rear bulkhead has been finished. I have layed up the reare wheel tub since these pictures so next step is to finish the left hand rear arch and a little work on the L/H cab window and vent. Then the plan is to lift the shell off its current table and ive bought a chassis table so that will come into the workshop and my Esprit chassis will be bolted to that them my body can be fitted to the chassis.

Once the fitment is sorted i have already bought a roll of carbon/kevlar hybrid weave to skin the inside of the shell. once all this is bonded in i have also bought a tube bender so i can design and build a prototype roll cage that will also bolt to the chassis. This will be tacked together inside the shell so i can cut it out of the body later when the molds are done then a jig can be made. Eventually the roll cage will bebuilt and bonded into the shell during construction.

Final stage is to then buy the custom wheels and tires to final check all clearences and to paint the shell. Then i can finally start to make the molds!

Cheers

Comment

• Like I said, amazing work and looking forward to more updates. Keep it up.

Cheers
                            Don
                            308 Ferrari replica
                            Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Amazing craftsmanship PlasticFantastic, as a former replica F40 guy this is a huge leap forward and will bring the replica F40 movement back!

Keep up the progress,
                              Dana

Comment

• Hi all,

Thank you mera308gts for the kind words,

Only a small update but ive been working on the inner wheels arch lips and rear tire clearence. In the pictures im using an original pzero 335/35/17 just to give me a guide for clearences but i plan to use 345/35/19 when i order wheels and tires.

Most of the shaping is done on the inner arch i now need to work on finalising the arch lip.

Cheers

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X