Saw the new Hennessey Venom supercar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw the new Hennessey Venom supercar

Saw the new Hennessey Venom supercar Sat. at our local hangout. Looks like an Elise (wait a minute, it IS an Elise!) with the rear end finished the way Lotus should have in the first place. The front opening is slightly different with the secondary openings filled in and the fenders pulled out from the body where they meet the doors. The rear does look nice, but the scoopy thing on the roof looks gay IMHO. The machining and crafstmanship are superior.

I just don't know if $840,000.00 for a Lotus with a Chev LS9 transplant is worth it though.

Re: Saw the new Hennessey Venom supercar

I say its a crock of S**t.

Nothing more than a wannabe Lotus GT1 made on a stretched Lotus Elise with a Corvette LS9 engine. What a waste of money. Id rather spend my hard earned money on a Factory Five GTM and put in a built LSX motor or build an Ultima GTR and invest the rest of the money. At least I won't be mistaken for a modified lotus

Comment

Any pic of the car? I dont know which car your talking about? ???

Comment

This one. http://jalopnik.com/5683351/first-sh...gt-in-the-wild

Comment

I was impressed with the intercooled supercharged package on the LS9, but I guess that if you want 1200 hp you have to dump that part. I don't have a problem with the looks of it.

Comment

Skull,

My mistake.
            I remember now that the guy with the car did say that it was an LSX engine.

Comment

They had a FFR GTM build go up against a Gumpert Apollo on a supercar challenge tv show. I read on the FFR GTM forum that the car was set up poorly and would have done even better. A 60-100k GTM build held its own against a $500k Gumpert.

the 2nd gen GTM has some good improvements in aesthetics as well. I just wish the proportion would have it be a little more cab forward as that would look even more supercar IMHO.

Maybe FFR would be interested in building chassis/go cart builds for other kits. That would be sweet for tons of performance and leverage their GTM volume to make other custom chassis kits more affordable. Or maybe even RCR. Could those chassis work for murci/diablo/430/vendetta builds?

I am torn now about going for a Viper convertible or a replica/kit. Decent vipers with low miles and a few yrs old are in the 40's.

My 03 SL 500 is on the sale block.

White Fugazzi Bentley Supersport Convertible GTC

Comment

My friend got his low mileage viper for the mid 30's 3 or 4 years ago before the crash. You should be able to do better than the 40's. His car was reminiscent of an average kit car in fit and finish. A viper kitcar could easily go for more than that and not have the value of a real one. I would highly reccomend a real one over a kit.

Comment

Originally posted by dratts1
                  My friend got his low mileage viper for the mid 30's 3 or 4 years ago before the crash. You should be able to do better than the 40's. His car was reminiscent of an average kit car in fit and finish. A viper kitcar could easily go for more than that and not have the value of a real one. I would highly reccomend a real one over a kit.
                  Yep, I meant a real Viper. Wouldn't be feasible to go the replica route on that one.

Comment

Funexec,

I sat in a GTR at SEMA. It looked just like the one in your pic, and looked awsome at 20 feet. Close up, it looks a little cheesey and rattley. We were all taking turns trying to get into it. Anybody over six feet tall was hitting his head on the roof side panel while sitting in the car. It had good legroom, but no headroom . Pretty high fun per dollar ratio with a decent-horsepower engine though.

Comment

That's what happened to me sitting in a real countach. My head was right against the door and I'm only 5' 10 1/2". No way could I wear a helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by 496fe
                        Funexec,

I sat in a GTR at SEMA. It looked just like the one in your pic, and looked awsome at 20 feet. Close up, it looks a little cheesey and rattley. We were all taking turns trying to get into it. Anybody over six feet tall was hitting his head on the roof side panel while sitting in the car. It had good legroom, but no headroom . Pretty high fun per dollar ratio with a decent-horsepower engine though.

I've sat in a GTM too. nature of the beast with many of those types of cars. Sat in a diablo, real and replica and lets just say you aren't gonna have one to drive in comfort.

Comment

496fe...how come you did not drop by and say hello ..I had an SL-C on display right next to Ford and the NHRA

Comment

Fran,

You were meeting with the Vector guy from Socal. He looked like he was bending your ear pretty good . I hung around as long as I could while talking to the Sebring folks, but it didn't look like he was going to let you up for air anytime soon. lol.

The SL-C is by far the nicest component car I have ever seen. The quality and workmanship are absolutely superb! If I hadn't started down by own road, the SL-C would have been the easiest decision in a long time. It looks more OEM than most OEM cars. All the little things - headlight lenses matching the body, straight and even gaps, straight body. Under the hood shows advanced suspension and unbelievable castings, machining, and fabrication. You my man, have set the bar, and set it high.

By comparison, I went to see the GTM afterwards. I have friends that own Factory Five cars and I hate to say it, but comparing the GTM to the SL-C is like comparing a Skoda to a Ferarri.

One teensy problem - I hear it sounds like a Chevy . I saw Dr. Gas later and they have just released the Freq Mod Muffler. It is supposed to RAISE the frequency and pitch of the V-8's. I have ordered two for my project and I'll send you a video of the sound when installed.

If you EVER get to Socal, I'll meet up with you at Cars and Coffee. That's where the Hennessey was last Sat. on it's way to a Saudi. A bunch of his customer cars were there also, including the Fly Navy Viper. We often have breakfast with Reeves Callaway, Dan Gurney, and or Tony Adamowitz.

Catch up with you some day,

Brian

Comment

Anybody want to drop a v8 into my lotus so I can become a millionaire? :P

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X