Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zonda replica kitcar - BUILD

Hi guys,
    My dream of finishing my car has come one step closer now. Last week I packed the car up and it is being shipped from the UK to me in Bahrain.
    I also bought an Elise screen which looks like it will do the job. I think it is going to be a major project to fit it a it is much narrower than the current XJS screen and a lot deeper.

The plan is to get a bodyshop to make a decent body for it based on a cross between the zonda Cinque and the C12, I am still not sure whether I should keep it convertible or not. I am also having a new set of V12 headers and exhaust made, and thinking about going quad turbo, This would save me from having to change the existing t28 units which are a bit on the small size.

Roll on Feb 3rd

Last edited by nicktruman; 01-02-2012, 03:31 PM.
    Regards
    Nick

Twin turbo V8 Zonda inspired thingy

Re: Zonda replica kitcar..

Nice one fella, be good to see this one progress, have you been spurred on by seeing proto's body?
    Has to be an awesome thought running around in your own Zonda, my friend used to live in Bahrain and he said there are some great body places out there, and they were a lot cheaper than Blighty lol.

regards and happy newyear to you and yours

Comment

Looking good!!!

Comment

Hi Pinincoupe
        I would have loved to have bought Proto's body but the cost of getting it to Bahrain was more than shipping the car here! So the fibreglass guys will start from scratch. I have seen some full size F1 cars they have made and the quality is awesome, no CNC machines just hand carved bucks. As you say labour is very cheap here so they can throw as many workers on the car as required and do it all by hand.

I have two 1/16th scale cars, which they will use as patterns, I have noticed on my car that the windscreen is set too far back, so I will have to cut the frame out and start from scratch, the only issue there being that i can't afford to break the new screen, I went through a few XJS screens when I fitted that, but they are 2 a penny, the Elise screen was a bit more costly.

Sadly I fear the Zonda will never be a road car here, as it is right hand drive and self made, the Bahrain motor federation have registered it as a track car in order to get it through customs.

Maybe when it is finished a friendly Shiekh will have a word with the Ministry of transport and pull few strings Then if it gets registered here it should be easier to get it on the road in the UK, not that I could ever afford to drive it in the UK! I used a gallon of fuel just getting it out of my garage and onto the container! At least in Bahrain fuel is cheap at 16p per litre i could afford to leave it running all day..

Happy new year to you as well!
        Cheers
        Nick
        Regards
        Nick

Comment

Cracking piece of kit keep us posted and the pictures coming how long till it reaches Bahrain ?

Comment

Originally posted by peggyontherun
            Cracking piece of kit keep us posted and the pictures coming how long till it reaches Bahrain ?
            Hi peggyontherun
            3rd of Feb its due to get here! Can't wait

Does anyone know what the best way to make a windscreen frame is? I need to make a mock up of the Elise screen somehow, and move my existing frame forward by 3 or 4 inches. The current frame is made of 1" tube steel covered in a peugeot convertible's windscreen frame which I cut up to fit the XJS screen. making that was hard enough even with the XJS's more or less straight contour.
            Regards

Nick
            Regards
            Nick

Comment

will you be offering a panel kit? great job!

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb
                will you be offering a panel kit? great job!
                I had thought of it, but to be honest i just want to finish the car, its caused a certain amount of agro with the better half..

I will be selling the molds after it is finished though, as I have no intension of going through all this again!
                Regards
                Nick

Comment

Awesome.

Comment

aha dont blame you! what car/donor would it fit?

Comment

Hi Mikeyb
                      I have no idea what the body would fit! I built a space frame chassis based on the Ultima, I figured that is the Ultima was the fastest car around the top gear track the chassis must be quite good, So I copied their design from the website, so far so good.. Its fullsize, so whatever the dimensions of the Zonda C12 is, this is.. The only difference in that the Jag v12 sits higher then the AMG V12, so the rear engine deck sits a bit higher.
                      The idea was to build a $1000000 supercar for under a few $1000 totally from eBay and scrap which is what i have done, everything except the 1.5" steel tube for the chassis is from eBay. I did buy an old Granada 2.8i Scorpio for ABS, brakes, steering, electrics, hubs, drive shafts etc... but even with that i sold the engine and gearbox for more than I paid for the car.

Originally posted by VF1Skullangel
                      Awesome
                      Thanks VF1Skullangel, really appreciated..
                      Regards
                      Nick

Comment

What about the legal issues and registration in Bahrain , will it be smooth ?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by nicktruman
                          Hi Mikeyb
                          I have no idea what the body would fit! I built a space frame chassis based on the Ultima, I figured that is the Ultima was the fastest car around the top gear track the chassis must be quite good, So I copied their design from the website, so far so good.. Its fullsize, so whatever the dimensions of the Zonda C12 is, this is.. The only difference in that the Jag v12 sits higher then the AMG V12, so the rear engine deck sits a bit higher.
                          The idea was to build a $1000000 supercar for under a few $1000 totally from eBay and scrap which is what i have done, everything except the 1.5" steel tube for the chassis is from eBay. I did buy an old Granada 2.8i Scorpio for ABS, brakes, steering, electrics, hubs, drive shafts etc... but even with that i sold the engine and gearbox for more than I paid for the car.

Originally posted by VF1Skullangel
                          Awesome
                          Thanks VF1Skullangel, really appreciated..
                          Hi

Thats great news! and very inspiring! so basically if i got Ultima sports to build a rolling chassis your panels would fit? If thats the case i would be very interested in buying the panels!

Your are an inspiration to the kit car world!

Mikey!

Comment

Hi

Thats great news! and very inspiring! so basically if i got Ultima sports to build a rolling chassis your panels would fit? If thats the case i would be very interested in buying the panels!

Your are an inspiration to the kit car world!

Mikey!
                            Hi Mikey
                            No! I made my chassis using the Ultima design to suit the size of the Zonda C12, Basically I had an engine and Audi Gearbox, set it out on the garage floor and plotted the size of the Zonda around it using lasers, (wheel base, front rear track, where doors and windscreen go etc.) the laid the steel to suit. First I made a scale model with wood to check its rigidity, i figured if it worked in wood it wood work with steel and it did. Then the car kind of just came together. This picture was my inspiration

My only difference was I built a tunnel down the middle as I did not want a roof (at that time) I also ended up adding more triangles for more rigidity, the end result was that I could lift the chassis at one corner with the V12 in it and it would not flex. I just hope it stays together when I drive over a bump

Happy new year, Nick
                            Regards
                            Nick

Comment

Ok, so my car is now in Hamburg, which seems a bit of a detour! But at least its on its way. I now have a letter of authorisation to bring it into the country so hopefully when it gets here on the 3rd of Feb the formalities should not be too frustrating!

I have to take a letter from the Bahrain Motor Federation to the Director of the traffic Department for stamping, I then give this stamped letter to customs to clear the car, I then take the car to the traffic department for inspection and registering as a track car... and it gets a number plate

All seems very straight forward, however I am sure that on the day bureaucracy will reign supreme and throw a freaking great spanner into the process!

Route-----------Location----------------Vessel/Voyage -----Container Arrived Date----Container Departed Date
                              Origin COLNBROOK, UK (SDO) 23 Dec 10 A 23 Dec 10 A
                              Load Port SOUTHAMPTON, UK APL NINGBO 004 23 Dec 10 A 30 Dec 10 L
                              Relay Port 1 SALALAH, OMAN APL RUBY 803 20 Jan 11 E 23 Jan 11 E
                              Relay Port 2 JEBEL ALI, DUBAI APL SPAIN 146 26 Jan 11 E 01 Feb 11 E
                              Discharge Port BAHRAIN APL SPAIN 146 03 Feb 11 E
                              Destination BAHRAIN 03 Feb 11 E
                              Regards
                              Nick

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X