• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	hawaii phoenix 173.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	372651
    Holy crap I did it. This was the second Fiero I got from a impound yard An 88 with a v-6 5 speed Getrag
    Hey Pedro I'm an old dog so I think building the car will be easier than photobucket....LOL
    Last edited by batbuilder; 04-26-2012, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Ok I'm going to get dangerous here with the pic

Here's a real Murcielago I got to play with on Scottsdale. It was the first one I really got to check out close
      Last edited by batbuilder; 04-30-2012, 12:39 AM. Reason: picture did not stay up

Comment

For some strange reason my computer browser is working.

My 2001 Grand Prix donor car. Bought it from an older guy for $1200 had 125000 miles on it so this one is being rebuilt too,
        Last edited by batbuilder; 04-30-2012, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Wow came on today and two of the pictures didn't stay loaded. I'll keep trying,,,,Think I understand the headlight bucket situation. I'm pretty sure I will go the plexiglass glue route. Cheaper I'm going to stiffen up the front end so I will probably attach to the under side. The door cards are at home and the body is at the weld shop. But we will get them together. I am going to cut the batwings off the rear hatch and weld a frame for both. I want to cut the middle louvers so that the engine glass can sit on it. Is the two middle louvers cut off leaving enough lip to secure the glass? Need to do this so the hatch frame can be welded. Don't want to sand more stuff than I have to. Got one project leaving the garage today so I will have lots of room in the garage again.

Comment

here's the rear hatch with the batwings still attached

Comment

here's another view shows the thickness of the bat wing material

Comment

Gorgeous Fiero. Glad it found a good home from the 'pound. Any clue why it was there?
                Are you going to keep the '88 as a DD, and build of an earlier year Fiero?
                Or if you're using the '88, what's your plan of attack to keep the suspension geometry?

Comment

Hey Austrian Import, yeah the cars dirver had been pulled over by the cops and he had no driver's license so they arrested him impounded the car and the fees to recover the car were over $2800 with storage. Its like a business to steal over here in California. The car was in excellent condition and we paid $1000 for it. has a little problem with the key but this one will eventually have a roadster body on it. I have only 88s because of the lotus (inspired) suspension. Initially I will use spacers and wheels with less backspacing. Eventually I would like to get longer axles and control arms for the front. But for right now I need to spend the money on new struts shocks polyurethane fitting upgraded brakes. These builds are pretty costly. Thanks for looking....dave wow it looks like my pictures dissappeared

Comment

Nice project you got going on here. im looking towards your build. i also live in CA. in Los Angeles to be exact. im starting a project my self. i have an 88 formula fiero and im putting in a LS4 with a reventon body kit on it. i will be learning from your thread if you dont mind. lol. lately i just have been practicing on my welding to get ready for the strecth. lol..
                    hope you post info and pics so i can learn. =)
                    will be keeping an eye on ure build

Comment

hey solrac, so where are you getting your revention body? Im very new to the forum but I'm already learning a lot here. Yeah I like the 88 Fiero Formulas myself. I love posting pics but all my pics seem to be deleting themselves. Hopefully we can learn together. Thanks for lookin

Comment

I know that GM owned Lotus for a while, but there is no evidence that the 88 suspension was inspired by Lotus. It may have been and GM could have been influenced without owning Lotus. I believe that the improved 88 suspension just addressed the shortcomings of moving a front suspension to the rear. I talked to Held and there is no advantage to the 88 suspension if you are going to upgrade to their suspension. Any year Fiero is ok with Held. If I were staying with stock track 88 is worth keeping.
                        Originally posted by batbuilder View Post
                        Hey Austrian Import, yeah the cars dirver had been pulled over by the cops and he had no driver's license so they arrested him impounded the car and the fees to recover the car were over $2800 with storage. Its like a business to steal over here in California. The car was in excellent condition and we paid $1000 for it. has a little problem with the key but this one will eventually have a roadster body on it. I have only 88s because of the lotus (inspired) suspension. Initially I will use spacers and wheels with less backspacing. Eventually I would like to get longer axles and control arms for the front. But for right now I need to spend the money on new struts shocks polyurethane fitting upgraded brakes. These builds are pretty costly. Thanks for looking....dave wow it looks like my pictures dissappeared

Comment

i got my kit from a guy in mexico.
                          where in CA are u located at?
                          did rob do the stretching of your car??
                          would like to see pics of it.. and ure engine. =)
                          photobucket is the easiest site to use for sharing pics..

Comment

I have seen some people cut the two louvers and glue the plexiglass to the remaining tabs, but the layout for the glass will be wrong, meaning that the remaining tab is actually the top surface of the old louver and now it will be used as a bottom mounting tab. The result when viewed from behind is a large space between the deck and the first louver, and a small space between the top louver that remains and the second new plexi louver. You basically get 3 different spaces between the louvers and its very noticeable. The other problem is that the louver surfaces are not parallel to each other (on these kits), and the plexi louvers greatly exagerate this problem because they are much larger.
                            If you are planning on using tempered glass for your louvers (highly suggested), the fiberglass tabs will not work to mount the glass to. With their inherant flexibility, you will be haunted with the bond between the glass and fiberglass tab constantly failing, due to the heat of the engine, expansion rate of the fiberglass versus the bond, vibration, and flexing of the hatch when opened.
                            My glass louvers cost $175 each to make, but I never have to worry about them sagging, turing yellow, or breaking free.
                            If you are ever in L.A, come check out my car!
                            Without talent experience is worthless

Comment

Hey dratts, I guess thats a debate I'm not that knowlegable about. I can only go by what I have seen. I have read about the Lotus inspired stuff in a couple different places over the years but who knows if everything we read is true or not. I owned an 81 Delorean many years ago and the suspension did look similar. The Delorean suspension was said to be Lotus. I remember The front spindle set up being reversed like the 88 Fiero and instead of the use of a pipe like axle it was like the 88 box type axle.The rear axle as I remember had the ability to be tuned but did not turn like the prior years of the Fiero. So it appeared to be similar but remember that was a long time ago and Im old....lol
                              I'm sure if Held says after putting on their kit its not any difference they could be right. But here's the rub...I bought my 88 Fiero for $400. Thats a whole lot of value for that little money. I guess lastly is my last kit was a 1990 ferrari testarossa built on an 87 chassis with a 327 corvette engine with tune port injection. That car was stupid fast. But under hard acceleration and turning it seemed like I had a slight pulling to the passenger the rear side. I was told by a racing car chassis building friend of mine that the bar holding the rear turn knuckle was flexing. And since the upright was actually a turning knuckle it would always have that problem with my particular power plant. So I guess its personal predjudice against the pre 88 on my part and I always thought if I ever build a car from scratch I would only use an 88. So it does comes down to percieved benefit on my part even if it wasn't designed in part by Lotus . Hope that made sense. I love discussing this stuff....Just love it...Thanks for your input

Comment

Wow Mercie-me you just helped me dodge a bullet. When I saw my first Mercielago a week ago I was struck by those panels and had to immediately touch them. It was apparrent imediately they were glass I remember telling my business partner these are badass!!! Did not know about the tabbing making the glass spacing being off. But that makes sense. I would love to fly down and check out your car. If you can PM me I will send you my information and a possible time to come down. Im not trying to build a totally exact replica but the details....Just love the details.I sincerely appreciate the invite and although we don't know each other , being passionate about the Mercielagos seems to bring good guys together. Plus a lot of my personal friends are tired of me talking about Mercielago rear tailights, grills, triangulation, headlights that cost more than gold,ect.....LOL Thanks again for the invite....dave

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X