Countach 5000s Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Countach 5000s Build

I am starting a new thread here for the Countach 5000s I plan to build. I had another thread started earlier but it turned into a discussion more than a build thread so it was moved.

I will start by explaining some of what I plan to do and what I have so far.

Parts:

- 25th Anniversary body that is missing inner door frames, engine lid and rear trunk lid.
    - It does come with two wings, several bumpers and the outer door skins
    - which will need some work fixing
    -Plan is to convert the 25th into the 5000s
    - Set of 4 Champ phone dial 15" rims and older tires.
    - Set of replica Countach tail lights.
    - New windscreen from Will and Alan's bulk buy if I can get one here not broken
    - we are trying once more to see if we can get two here without cracking.
    - The first shipment was not successful.
    - Front Bumper buck for a new 5000s bumper conversion
    - I will explain this below
    - Fender flare moulds
    - Fiero frame from my 355 build
    - Full '88 Fiero front suspension
    - Full '88 Fiero engine cradle and suspension
    - Full Cliff's Countach interior and some inner door frames that he will be laying up for me.

My plan

Use my Fiero frame and mount the '88 front suspension setup 3" back from oem same as Joe in his Countach build thread. He used a custom frame and C4 Corvette but I have the Fiero stuff so will use that instead. Cut the rear Fiero section off the frame and build a custom rear frame to the Fiero tub. I am currently debating using the '88 rear engine cradle and suspension set up or doing up a Chassisworks rear frame and connect it to the framing I already have set up in the car and the additional side framing needed for the Countach. If I go with Chassisworks, I will get the rear suspension built for that as well and sell off the '88 cradle. I have not landed on that just yet.

The reason I started the thread now is that I have just returned from our place in Phoenix and while down there I helped John (flyhilandsoft), who is building the aluminum Countach, with some fiberglass work. He is doing an incredible job on his project but he was hesitating to do anything about the front bumper and the fender flares as he didn't know much about glassing. I just happen to have a bit of experience in that area..... . He is far more comfortable with aluminum than he is with fiberglass. Well, since I was down twiddling my thumbs at the condo, I went over to his place when he was in town (he is a pilot) and we made moulds of the fender flares and were going to mould the front bumper but the reference car bumper was too badly warped to be salvageable so we are building a new buck off the reference and I will build moulds on that.

We got the flares cleaned up and the fiberglass laid down on them by the time I was due to head home. He will be sending me the flare moulds and the remainder of the sides of the front bumper. While there, we cut the front bumper off the reference body and started to build a front bumper buck out of mdf.

My plan is to finish the top portion of the bumper in prep for moulding. I still have to build the mould pieces that will be inserted into the buck for the driving lights holes and vents holes. I will then seal the mdf and make a mould of the upper bumper section. We decided to make the bumper and air dam separate since any time the air dam gets broken, you don't have to replace the whole thing, just the dam. Also easier to mould.

I have the original and we tried to straighten it out but there is about a 3/4" to 1" warp in the top of the bumper that is supposed to be flat and the air dam is also terribly warped. The openings for the lights and vents etc are also in pretty bad shape. We just decided it was going to be easier to make new pieces and mould them than to try to fix what we had.

I get the moulds built for John and I pull pieces for my conversion. I also moulded the rear fender tops for the 5000s conversion while there so I can fill in the 25th larger upper vent holes. John is sending those tome along with the flares.

A few pics of the original bumper. You can see the warping on everything.

Cheers
    Don
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Don; 09-28-2012, 11:52 AM. Reason: Fix pictures
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000S

I have the mdf buck John started on while I was repairing and then laying up the moulds on the fender flares. Plan is to get the holes set up for bucks and then seal everything with either varnish or some other sealant and then finish sand to make a mould.

The air dam will also be made in mdf and some expanding foam and bondo and then moulded with a mounting flange that mates up to the bottom of the upper bumper section. Should turn out pretty good.

I will switch between the bumper and the 308 finish processes as items are at a stand still in each project. Fiberglass the rear engine lid of the 308 and while that is drying, work on the bumper etc....

More to come but progress on the bumper will be slower for the next month or so as I finish up the 308.

Cheers
    Don

Edit: Fixed the images
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Don; 09-28-2012, 11:54 AM. Reason: Fix IMages
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Love to see this new project Don !

Comment

Cleaning up the 308 first. I also received word from John that he is sending the flare moulds and my fender top moulds so should be seeing those fairly soon. I had another really good look at the air dam last week on the reference bumper and looks like I will be taking measurements and rebuilding that as well. Just too warped to use as a buck.

mdf and jigsaw coming out soon......

Cheers
        Don
        308 Ferrari replica
        Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Hi, the buck is looking great. Having built a Prova Designs Countach years ago, I did alot of work on the front bumper to correct the "smile". It seems that many bodies out there have this charicteristic. I wonder if there is warping during the cureing process due to the complexity of the shape, or if it is a poor quality mold to start with? Best Regards
          Last edited by Fast Eddy; 05-22-2012, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Why not get a piece of say 6x 4 glass and make one layer of f//glass use minimum resin on it once dry peel it off and you have a sheet you can bend or what ever... one side will be as flat and smooth as you can get and resin wont stick to it unless rough sanded.
            Use this to get your shape for a mild.
            Once happy with lay up apply another layer of chopped or woven.

Comment

Thanks for the idea 917kit.

Actually, I can use my bench to do the same thing as you say as it is arborite and flat. I made sure I could use it as a flat surface when I was building the bench. Part of my plan will be to do pretty much what you are thinking for the main angled surface of the air dam. The bottom lip will be milled from 3/4" mdf to provide a solid base to build everything up off of.

The biggest thing I want to do is to make sure I can get the curvature of the air dam into the surface on top of the mdf base. I may end up needing to do a backing plate as you say and then pour on some expanding foam to get the final curvature of the air dam and then cover with bondo and pull a mould from that shape.

The air dam will be a bolt to the bumper section so they will be moulded separately after making sure they fit together tightly on the bucks. I want to be able to replace the air dam if cracked from curbs etc. without having to replace the whole bumper assembly. The bumper will be mounted on the frame with beams and possibly a 5 kph shock absorber as with factory cars.

Cheers
              Don
              308 Ferrari replica
              Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

hi Don

Will

Comment

Hi will
                  don

Comment

Hey Will;

Haven't talked to you in quite a while. Hope all is well and you are still getting time to play on the project.

A quick update on the various projects under way in my garage.

I took some pics of the flare moulds that John sent up to me after we laid them up in April when I was down in Phoenix. We were down again a few weeks ago and I went over to check out John's progress and look at the body lines to confirm some ideas I have on bracing the flare moulds etc as I get them ready for pulling parts.

We laid down 4 odd layers of glass on the flares but being one off or few part moulds,. I did not brace anything while on the car. My mistake. Even at several layers of glass the moulds are still pretty flexible. My plan is to lay the flares up against my car on each flare and set in place and then curve some 3/4x3/4 tube around the outside of the flare moulds and glue them to the outside of the moulds with some putty and a couple layers of glass. I can't do too much glassing where the Lambo has been moved in storage so I will make sure the metal is secure and then do some more work once I am back in the garage.

I got a couple other piecs as well like the top rear fender portions where the 5000s is different than the 25th so I have some pieces to patch into the body as a mould and lay up some filler sections up there.

Enjoy
                    Don
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Don; 08-29-2012, 01:44 AM.
                    308 Ferrari replica
                    Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Hi there Don,
                      those are some nice molds there...Haven't been able to work on my car at all...stuck becasue of getting a welder to finish my adapter plate.....go figure

Will

Comment

Hey Don, how's the mold
                        Coming for the front air dam/bumper? I've been really considering mounting my frot bumper to absorbers for fender benders or speed bumps. I was thinking I'm gona cut mine off. Anyways yiu still needing the lp400s engine bonnet..? It's rough but fixable and worth making a mold of... Lmk keep in touch. 928-651-6288 shoot me a text pm

Comment

Don, what body are you using? Also what wheel base are you using, is it the 96.5? Im looking into a countach once Im done with fiero F40..Thanks Don Later

Comment

I can't see nothin.

Comment

Originally posted by VF1Skullangel View Post
                              I can't see nothin.
                              Don't worry, I doubt it is anything that they would want to trade for a Camaro......

Kevin

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X