512TR Slow Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TRcrazy View Post
    Sure thing Michael, here's an update on the dash. I covered the left side end cap and the center upper gauge housing. The gauge housing is removable but the end cap in glued permanently. I had a 'Oh crap' moment after I thought the dash wouldn't fit back in the car because the lower part of the end cap comes across to butt against the steering column. I think it will squeak in, we'll see. Thanks for looking. -Vinny
    Did you get a chance to build some door cards? Am curious how you did the door pulls as well as the door lock on the sill. My interior is coming along swell, would like to see your doors!

Eric

Comment

• I designed them but they're way down on the list. The plan is to use Jeep Wrangler tailgate handles (1991-1995) and the stock Fiero Latches. Hope this helps. -Vinny,
      Remember, there is always next year.

Comment

• I see. I built my door 'handles' from steel to be the same size as the orig and use a power window switch in the door. It is easy to build a good door card that looks OK, but difficult if you plan on making it so the trimmer can make it look decent. Any luck on the light pods? I have been contacted by a few different folks that would like to use an OEM looking pop-up. My lights are rock solid so I was thinking about taking them out and making a mold to make some parts. Are you interested in this?

Eric

Comment

• I'll prob use 300 ZX headlights. Goes with the f512m look. Thanks Vinny

Comment

• Originally posted by TRcrazy View Post
            I'll prob use 300 ZX headlights. Goes with the f512m look. Thanks Vinny
            Gotcha. Those lights are a bear to get aligned. Took some time to get them to work correctly for me. Thanks for the replies, always like to see what others have done. Keep up the great work!

Comment

• Car is currently For Sale in 'The Mall' Section, Located in Yorktown Heights New York, zip 10598, Thanks
              Link
              http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/ma...nfinished.html

Comment

• The above pic is shows the 3 lower supports for the Neon windshield frame, also you see the re-located passenger side wiper pivot .
                .The panel were first made as a paper template, then cut from sheet metal.

.I made the filler panels in 3 pieces, they are 'Cleco'd" in place temporarily. Im using 22 ga steel here.
                Last edited by TRcrazy; 08-21-2020, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Comment

.Above is a pic of the paper template for the windshield A pillar outer skin and the blanks. The top blank already took a few passes thru the English Wheel.

.The English Wheel at work.

.Above pic shows passenger side blank waiting to get the Wheel treatment.

.Test fitting, trim a little fit it again, Wheel it a bit more. A little shrinking along the edges to match the concave profile of the windshield. The area highlighted in yellow will be made in steel and welded to the bottom of the pillar. It will look like one piece when its done.
                    Last edited by TRcrazy; 08-21-2020, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• Wait Vinny! You can't just do that to us.
                      Last we knew you were trying to sell the car and moving on to another project?
                      Great to see you back on it but we need the backstory.
                      Is the English wheel a new addition or have you always had that?
                      Having 2 major projects going on at once........you're a maniac or a glutton for punishment.
                      -Greg.
                      Last edited by 20below; 08-22-2020, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• Hey Greg, i;ve been keeping the TR project going though I haven't posted the progress. The work is all structural and will be covered up when its all assembled. So its kinda boring stuff to me. It will likely go back up for sale on Ebay and Craigslist this fall. Starting a 2nd build wasn't the ideal move as I'm out of space to put anything now. So if the TR sells I can devote all my time to the Merc build. I added the English wheel a few years ago when I started to do more metalshaping. The direction I'm going in is away from fiberglass and towards making my own body parts from sheet aluminum. And yes, I must have a bit of self punishment thing going on, I could have bought a real Ferrari by now. Oh well, there's always next year...............

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X