Ferrari 288 GTO Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todays update

Well I got the lips built yesterday and installed them today on the fenders , when I take the clip off next I'll glass them from the under side at the same time I'll add a couple more layers of glass.
    I hope to start working on the front bumper steel frame over the weekend and install the glass bumper over the frame.
    Attached Files

Comment

• That looks fab-ulous! Very nice work, as always.

On the bumper "inserts", I've been contemplating running a piece of bar stock all the way across inside, rather than the usual two plates in the mounting point locations, what d'ya think? Also planning to use inner and outer sleeve's with a shear pin to allow the entire bumper to "collapse" a ways before tearing stuff up in the event of impact.

Whole car is really starting to come together, good on you! Liking the brake upgrade a whole lot too.

Following your build right along, please keep posting the updates.

Comment

• Hi TDW
        good to hear from you!
        The bumper plan for me is exactly as you describe, I did a similar build on the rear bumpers. I think it is the easiest way to go as once you have it installed and adjusted you never have to adjust again. Especially for painting etc. I'll be working on it in the next week or so ,stay tuned.

Wayne

Comment

• Here is a sneak Peek!!

Some alignment of the hood and and securing of the lower portion of the fenders to the front hood and things are taking shape still some tweeking left. I have to fill in on both sides of the head light bucket and vent . I'm rebuilding the front hood hinges as I do not like the way they are torquing the hinge and at the same time I will re-glue the inner Fiero hood panels and fibreglass top.
          Any one know what glue you are suppose to use on the Fiero panels?

Don lent me the Ferrari Headlight buckets he designed as I still haven't built mine, he also let me borrow the aluminum vent covers so I can get all the measurements for filling in the fender tops.
          Here is a sneak peek at the Ferrari head light buckets and aluminum fender vents in position. Awesome job Don!! Thanks.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Sent you a PM; no rush; I put my email address into it..
            Thanks and keep up the great work. The word 'inspiring' keeps coming up - at least until I find a better one!
            GP

Comment

• Head Lights and Fender vent test Fit

Its sure nice having the finished Fender Vent and Head Light buckets to build the extensions to everything fits perfectly. I'll glass all the extensions in tomorrow, then start to finish the front bumper modification. I also moved the hood vents 4" to lineup with the fender vents, this is where the real Ferrari's are located.
              The finished look is making it all worth while
              Attached Files

Comment

• Looking good Wayne.

keep going.
                Don
                308 Ferrari replica
                Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• That looks great! Hood vent looks much more like it belongs moved to the new position.

Buckets & vents are super. Do the buckets use 5" or 7" lamps, don't remember what Don ended up with.

Either way, they look great!

Keep on keeping on, and posting the progress.

Comment

• Lots of work on the car this week but not a lot of progress

The bumper turned out to be a lot of work due to a number of factors first was trying to make it fit and look like the 288 second and most important was that it was functional (could actually offer some protection)and thirdly I was using steel from a ready made 308 bumper that Don had given me. The biggest constraint I had was the thickness had to be no more than 2 1/2" thick to make room for the four 5x7 driving lights in the grill. Second,(hard to describe) the bumper actually has a 3/4" recess which allows it to sit 1/4" below the hight of the top of the front facia grill opening. Confused yet? Once it was built, because of the above constraints the steel had a wicked angle coming out of the bumper where it meets the plate that attach to the car. I will have to add some gusset supports to strengthen it due to the angle. Here are a few pics of the progress I still need to finish the turn signals and cleanup all the edges but it works and looks right.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Cheeks cut for the driving lights.

I finished off the headlight vent bucket openings with 45 degree angle to the top and finished off the sides, also I found I needed to cut the lower cheek openings for the driving lights to fit properly after doing some research I found the 288 was also modified for the driving lights.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Looking soooooo good Wayne. That front end face on looks so nice......

what did you do with the trunk lid air vent? looks good moved back but it looks like a fair amount of Bando?

I would like to drop by this week and have a good look...

cheers
                        Don
                        308 Ferrari replica
                        Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Hi Don
                          You know your welcome anytime and I would love to have you come over. I was going to give you a call to see when I can come over this week and drop off the buckets and vents as I have finished with them. I have to get to work and build mine own buckets and facia.
                          We can talk about the hood vent when you come over, I have a couple ideas where I want to go but could use your input.

Comment

• Todays update Bumper progress

I was busy the last two days, I came up with a plan on how to beef up the bumper to give more strength.
                            I took 1 1/2"ID and encased around the main bumper arm and welded on all sides giving a second impact point on the bumper mounting plates, I think this has solved my dilemma.
                            I decided I needed to build a mounting system for he four driving lights to ensure nothing was going to interfere with one another.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Trial fitting of everything and a sneak peak!!

I was working with the turn signals housings, trying to mount them in the bumper. I'm close I but still need to play with with them. If I use some panel glue and mount the housing permanently it would be solve the problem. The lens are taken off with two screws on the front so bulb replacement wouldn't be a problem. I'm trying to figure out the negatives to this approach.
                              Anybody have any thoughts on this.?

I needed to do a trial fit with he driving lights mounted and the bumper installed to ensure there wasn't any conflict.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Looking really good! I think your bumper solution will work just like you envision.

Maybe I missed it earlier in your thread, but where did you get the combo (clear/amber) turn signal/parking lenses? Did they come from Rob?

This picture is great! Your front end is coming together fantastically! (Hope the picture shows up)

Thanks for taking the time to bring us up to date on your project. It serves as great inspiration for those of us who have a hard time doing our own!

I'm sure you're as anxious as I am for the weather to break, but unfortunately, we've got a ways to go here in the valley.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X