No announcement yet.

Ferrari 288 GTO Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Havemurce that is the one I was using but for what ever reason I wasn't getting the FP I needed at the regulator.

Comment

Update

Well I have a bit of a update today.
      I needed to correct some warpage along the rear bumper. At the same time drop the lower potion of the rear clip (bumper) 1 1/2 " to attempt to correct the kit to the 288 GTO. The bumper is now where it is suppose to be, I'll have to make some changes to the rear lower fender once I finish, as the rear clip is now 1 1/2" lower.
      I have company for a few days so that will be it for awhile.
      Attached Files

Comment

more pics

this is with the fixes made
        Attached Files
        Last edited by dobie44; 03-10-2014, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Have you come up with a plan of action on duplicating the left quarter from the right side yet? The way I did mine was effective but very time consuming. I haven’t yet to see a good way to accomplish it without fancy scanning equipment.
          My Projects:

http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...y-project.html
          http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...-facelift.html
          http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...430-build.html

Comment

The way I have done any replicating myself such as on the Countach airdam I made, is to put down defined markup lines every 2-3" or so and make templates of the shape of the good side and use those to transfer the shapes to the other side. It is not exact but you can get very close with some patience and careful sanding....

Cheers
            Don
            308 Ferrari replica
            Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
              The way I have done any replicating myself such as on the Countach airdam I made, is to put down defined markup lines every 2-3" or so and make templates of the shape of the good side and use those to transfer the shapes to the other side. It is not exact but you can get very close with some patience and careful sanding....

Cheers
              Don
              That's pretty much what I did on my front fascia. It helps to have a laser level to draw the lines over odd contours.

Bob
              Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
              http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Comment

Hi MacGyver as Don and RCR eluded to that is pretty well the plan I have found a 48" profile gauge which I'm hoping will help to replicate the mods made.

Comment

48” holy smokes …………… You absolutely must post a pic of that! I would have been happy to find one that size when I was doing mine. I ended up using cardboard temples and a 2 foot long strip of lead.
                  My Projects:

http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...y-project.html
                  http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...-facelift.html
                  http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...430-build.html

Comment

Not very "scientific", but I've used a stiff piece of wire to "record" the profile of one side in order to transfer it to match on the other. Have also used cardboard "cutouts" to the same end. If it's a long section, it requires several forms, but it does get the job done for most "practical" purposes.

Sounds like you have found an "official" method that should produce professional results!

Click image for larger version

Name:	beersmilie.gif
Views:	7
Size:	1.4 KB
ID:	377698

Comment

Update progress

Hi MasGyver, For sure when I get it I will post a pictures I'm sure hoping it helps to duplicate!!
                      So I've fibreglass the rear fascia I built today out of foam just to protect it while I continue the mods to the back end. I"ll pull the foam out when I pull the rear clip off to do some finishing. I really do not want to cut the trunk bottom off if at all possible. I am planning on building a vented cover along the whole lower fascia. but hopefully no where near as large or as visible as the stock one.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Wayne;

you are flying..... great job on the back end. It is going to look outstanding.....

It looks like you are going to be needing to be cutting the sides out of the trunk so maybe you can cut the trunk the full length just at the bottom of the body line. you can do some work on the cradle and maybe add some details to hide the ebrake cable etc.?

I am looking forward to seeing more progress.

cheers
                        Don
                        Last edited by Don; 03-14-2014, 11:56 PM.
                        308 Ferrari replica
                        Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Maybe we can put your plasma cutter to work Don.
                          I was looking at how much would need to be cut looks like 4"will hide the trunk. I'll have to put some thought into how to hide everything once it's cut.
                          But it does look good I agree!!

Comment

No probe on the plasma cutter. I can drop it by or you can grab it when you come over for the buckets next week.

I have seen aluminum bars mounted across the back of the cradle to help hide the e-brake cable but you also have your mufflers right there as well. We might need to have a look at how to set it up to get a nice back end view like the 288GTO has.

looks great though.
                            talk to you Monday.
                            Don
                            308 Ferrari replica
                            Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Rear deck mod from 308 to 288

Well after a bunch of thought I have started the mods to the Rear Deck lid. I could not complete the rear clip body mods until the deck lid was installed.
                              Because the deck didn't fit that well to start with (not wide enough), plus the mods to the grills for the 288 I decided to cut the middle of the deck lid out.
                              I built a wooden frame that I will Fiberglass into the rest of the deck then once it is ready. I plan on glassing and adding a carbon fibre layer for strength to the frame before I glass it into the deck lid I'll also add some steel for the hinges to mount to. enjoy
                              Attached Files

Comment

Update

Well I've found some time to get back at the project the last couple of days. I finally got the newly modded rear deck lid installed so I started on the rear spoiler/ fender mods, and rear fascia. I think it has come together pretty well
                                My new plasma cutter is arriving in a week so I can finish the new hinge brackets for the rear deck, then start on the rear bumper.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X