No announcement yet.

Ferrari 288 GTO Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good progress Dobie! That rear end is really taking shape! It looks awesome! I love the GTO's wide body lines.

Comment

Lookin' awesome dobie. I like the rear spoiler. Turned out nice. I see now what you were talking about on the rear tail panel on how you wanted it to come out. Gave in to the plasma as well did you? I took mine home and tried it there as well and it didn't work there either so I am thinking there is an internal breaker or fuse or something that let go the last time I used it.

Keep the progress pics coming
      Don
      308 Ferrari replica
      Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Thanks Guys , Yes it is slowly taking shape, Im making some fiberglass parts off the engine vents I have from the Fiero to see if they will work for the vents under the car behind the rear wheels to the rear fascia initial testing looks promising.

Hi Don I hope the vacation is going well for you and Linda and your drinking copious amounts of Corona and enjoying the heat by the pool.
        With all the cuts I was going to have to make I thought it would be the best option so picked one up online.

Comment

Nice , the 288 GTO & F-40 are 2 of my favorites , very nice job
          In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Comment

I hope you donít mind that I give you my opinion.

I suggest that you feather your wide body transition into the doors as well. I think the steep curves you have not flowing into the door skins will give the appearance of pasted on panels.

That is one of the reasons I dislike the side profile of the new style Cameroís. Every one I see looks like a different color from the rear quarter to the door. If the stylists flowed the wide body look into the door panel I think it would have looked so much better.

Just my thoughts, Keep up the good work.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by MacGyver; 04-09-2014, 01:58 PM.
            My Projects:

http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...y-project.html
            http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...-facelift.html
            http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...430-build.html

Comment

Thanks for the input MacGyver, Don and I have discussed the transition on the upper scope into the door I have not made any changes yet but will certainly take it into advisory. Are you meaning the lower scope transition as well MacGyver?
              What do you think Don??

Comment

Wayne;

With the original wheelbase on the car and the wider fenders by 3" each side., I understand what Sean is saying about the fairly abrupt ending of the flares to the rear door jamb. On the original, it has an additional 3" to flare out to the length so you have a smoother transition. I remember we had talked about about that angle and how it is more obvious with the shorter wheelbase. Not enough of a reason to lengthen the frame though......

You can probably handle the transition a few different ways.

1. Put more of a flare curve into the area that meets the rear door jamb and then continue that flow into the wheel well area.
                  1. Cut the forward section of the flare down a bit to reduce the sharp angle at the door jamb and then mold the angles and curves out to the 3" wheel well. Not sure That will be easy to think of in the head as I am, not sure I explained it well enough......
                  2. This should work quite nicely for the top part but may be a bit clunky on the lower section that you have the scoop in
                  3. The lower scoop area would be the toughest part of this option so that it doesn't end up sticking out too far at the top

2. Carve a bit more out of the front section of the fender flare so that the flare is not as pronounced on the front side of the fender area
                  1. Again, this will flow a bit more cleanly on the upper part and will give more of an upper definition to the top of the lower scoop
                  2. The lower scoop area will become more pronounced at its upper edge
                  3. same as Option 1, the lower scoop are will be a bit of work to fit in correctly to not stick out too far

3. Do as Sean suggests and add maybe 3-4" of foam to the rear of the door panel and fair it into the rear fender to give a cleaner flow on to the rear flare.
                  1. My thought would be to have the back edge of the door flare portion be about 1" or so thick and melt into the door at the front edge of the 3-4" piece

Out of all of those, I would say the last one is probably the easiest as we can take a mold of the rear door section that is now flared a bit and glue it back on and fair it with some mat and a skim of bondo on to the door skin. You have to do some work to the door skin anyway to fix up the cracks we got when straightening the door out.

The original 288 GTO also had the hard line at the rear door to fender flare but it had the extra length so the angle from flare outside edge to door jamb was not as tight. Your call though as it is your car in the end......

Cheers
                Don
                308 Ferrari replica
                Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Two steps forward and one step back !!!

Well after a short debate with myself out came the knife.
                  Initially just as the pictures show but decided to go one step further (no picture) and cut out some of the white foam and replace with expanding foam and some more ridged foam.I put extra length to the transition to make it feather in better.
                  The nice thing is my labour is free and foam is it relatively cheap, and being able to actually see the change is easier for me.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looks really good, Wayne. I spy something going on below the side vent. What could that be??? ;o)

Bob
                    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
                    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Comment

Pic update

Hi Bob
                      Yes it will be a modified GTO I really like the lower intake that the Keoning has so that brings in the lower running boards. I really like the way it flows
                      So have you started your project yet I've been looking for some pics!!! How was the 308 project you picked up?
                      I cut out a bunch of the white foam and replaced it which will make it easier to fiberglass. Today I start to carve it into shape
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by dobie44; 04-11-2014, 01:08 PM.

Comment

PM'd you...

Bob
                        Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
                        http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Comment

Update for the day

So a busy day but I think it's turning out right, still some work to go. Don and MacGyver give me your opinions.
                          There is two different options on the lower scoop let me know which one you like better.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by dobie44; 04-11-2014, 09:54 PM.

Comment

more pics

more pics after the cut makes a super wide bottom intake
                            Not sure about the middle transition between the scoops on the door, I don't like the blunt vertical.
                            ANY Ideas anyone?
                            I think it needs to flow at a angle?
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by dobie44; 04-12-2014, 11:06 AM.

Comment

More pics

These are after the cut is made to the bottom
                              Attached Files

Comment

OK 2 Choices which one???

I did a bit of hand photo shopping of the two , the grey area penciled in would be the taper blend into the door.

WHICH ONE???
                                Attached Files

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X