No announcement yet.

Ferrari 288 GTO Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress update Rear clip is done and off to storage.

I took a bit longer than I thought to get the rear clip to a point where it is ready to put the first coat of epoxy primer onto it. Before it is to go into storage over at Don's for the winter a great big thanks for Don offering me the storage space!!!
    After completing the cuts for the two fuel doors I was given my first real view of how thick 5 layers of glass really is, I could quite easily have had it only 4 layers and cut down some of the weight it is probably over built. When I glass the front I'll cut down at least one layer. The rear vents turned out to be a lot of work and had to be totally rebuilt, but turned close to the 288.
    Both rear wheel lips turned out really well with a 5/8" lip, I was a bit worried about the transition to the lower scoop but came out just as I had hoped.
    Attached Files

Comment

• A few more pics

an here are the rest the last one showing the fuel door cutouts made.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Looks great! Very nice work all around.

As to the thickness, so called "industry standard" for a finished part as I learned it, is accepted as being 3 1/2 layers of ounce and a half matte, or it's equivalent..i.e. 3 layers of ounce and a half + 1 layer of three quarter ounce in first.
        I've seen decent parts that were made with one layer of 3/4 ounce and one layer of 2 ounce, allot less work, but much harder to make conform to corners etc..

Hope to see your progress on the front clip, and looking forward to seeing the rear all one color, it always shows you things you wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Nice job!

Comment

• Hi TDW
          Thanks for the information TDW I'll use that standard on the front clip build!!!
          As for the Epoxy Primer Don and I were hoping to have it one color as that would be the first true look of the car!! We just ran out of time with the weather.
          The front build starts today!! a lot of work ahead over the winter but my goal is to have the front build and rear clip installed and body finished in primer ready for paint by this time next year. Then on to the interior!!
          I think this is a reasonable timeline considering the mods to the front that are planned ( Don's Ferrari hood mod, Ferrari headlight mod, bumper front 288 fascia mod) And I am considering doing the glass mod if I can get the screens from Bob (Mr355) in Seattle at a decent price. if not I may look at the Sebring mod we will see.

Take care
          wayne

Comment

• Front clip Progressing

Well I've been busy building out the front, I initially started Don's Ferrari hood mod to my kit working with a hood that Don gave me. I cut the centre out with a plan to glass the fenders onto the front clip as part of the build. I've decided I need to to finish the foam and glassing first so I can do the same as the back and cut out the old kit and foam out, once that is complete I will continue with the front hood mods.
            It is certainly going a lot easier having half the front already completed, I hope to be glassing next week.
            Attached Files

Comment

• A few more pics

I plan on using the hood skin from Rob's kit for the side fenders tops, I'll build up 1 or 2 layers of glass to the under side to give it rigidity. This will help to cut down some weight, as the fiero hood is not needed under the fender tops. I plan on glassing the fender tops on to the front clip once it has been glassed and all the foam has been removed. Once they are attached the clip will be a bit harder to remove. More sanding today in preparation for glassing next week!!
              I moved the hinge mounting points to the inside of the stock hood mount so they do not interfere with the opening and closing of the modified hood. I am building Don's modified hinges to accommodate the stock mounting point.
              Attached Files
              dobie44
              Active Users
              Last edited by dobie44; 11-08-2014, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• Getting closer!!

I had a busy day sanding and cutting, still a bunch more to go but it is finally starting to look like a 288. I made up a template of the well well on the completed side (passenger side)to ensure the new drivers side matched, good thing I did as it was about 1" on the forward portion of the wheel arch.
                I cut the vents into the front spoiler, my plan is once everything is glassed up and the foam removed I'll build some ducting for the lower vents to push air onto the front brakes while driving. I'm still on schedule to start glassing early next week, I better check my supplies to make sure I have enough resin and glass.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Wayne, I would like to be your student .

Comment

• Beny A thank you for the kind words! This whole build has been a learning progress, luckly learning from the true teacher Don. Having someone to bounce ideas off of has been very beneficial.

Comment

• Some more progress

So when I was building the Gill vents in the rear clip the glassing was terrible and I ended up having to rebuild them to get the clean lines I needed.
                      So when I started the front vents in the chin and spoiler I decided to glass the spoiler whole with out the chin vents, and only the two larger spoiler vents, then cut the chin vents in later for a cleaner look.
                      Once that was done I clead them up with some bondo and then glassed the vents with one layer of 1 1/2 oz matt. I think it turned out much better and easier than the gill vents. Plus it bonds the whole spoiler to the old 308 kit.
                      I also cleaned up the wheel arches and the underside of the front spoiler for the transition to the underside.
                      The following pics show up to the glassing of the front spoiler, which I did today and hope to get some more pics tomorrow.
                      enjoy!!
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Very nice job, looks fantastic! The method you describe for the vents, is the way to go about it as you now know.

Reminds me of how my "mentor" did doors on Vette's....he would just glass over the door opening making it look like there WAS no door, then very carefully cut the new opening to his satisfaction. People would always ask him how he got his doors to fit so well, he'd just smile and say, "Experience" He was kind of a character at times.

Keep up the great work, and don't forget to post your progress for all us "watchers".

Comment

• Hi TDW
                          Thanks, yes I am learning sloooooowly!!

Here are some pics with the glassing done on the chin, I think it turned out great much cleaner look. I would have liked to do some more today but the weather is terrible wind and rain. The rain I can deal with the wind I can't so not work today!!
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Looks great, Wayne. You're really coming along.

Bob
                            Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
                            http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Comment

• Hi Bob
                              good to see your still around, I guess life and family are keeping you busy as I haven't seen any updates on yours lately.
                              I am progressing although not as quickly now that winter is fast approaching, luckily most of the fiberglassing is done for now. I will be concentrating on getting the front end hood and light mods that Don has perfected to make it more like the real car. Once that is done I'll spend the rest of the winter building the widened suspension 3" addition to eliminate the spacers that I was planning to use then I have a 13" Corvette brake upgrade that I will finish with.
                              I hope to have it ready for paint by the end of summer, then onto the interior which will probably take me through next winter.
                              At least I'll be inside, then paint a little tinkering setting it all up and Yahoo I will get to drive this dream.
                              That is my schedule subject to change without notice!!!!!!
                              TTYS
                              wayne

Comment

• I bit of progress

Well I found a few hours in the last couple days to make some progress.
                                I worked on the front bumper and got the look I needed, now I just have to build the bumper underneath to mount it to
                                I had to move the bumper up to allow the four 5x7 driving lights the vertical space they need, all the photo research I've done
                                showed the bumper runs straight across not like other 308's with the curve at the ends.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X