No announcement yet.

So it Starts. My Countach Diary...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Henry, get in touch buddy, we have lots to talk about!

K9

Comment

I have a Euroworks body for sale if you could use it
      "Do a little bit everyday and eventually it'll get done"

Comment

I have been getting back into the project. I have been in the acquisition phase, and starting to move into the build again. I have been bothered by the flat glass and poor execution of the glass on the car, so I started to remove glass and fix the areas. Look at this odd "Let's fill in everything with Silicone" approach. The good news is that after I cleaned it all up the glass frames I have fit very well. I should not be a difficult fix.

I have also been trying to find a good solution for the engine cooling. I know that was an issue in the past with the car. Not dire, but not good either. I have been researching the topic like a good web ferret and I find it's like asking for workout advice... ask a thousand people and get a thousand different responses. So I want to get something into the vehicle to test. I saw the 1000 dollar griffin radiators, and Howe racing radiators, but that's a little rich to test with. I would up finally finding a radiator that would fit into the spot vertically like the originals.

100 bucks a piece.. not bad. The radiators that were in there are mounted horizontally. That's a complete mystery to me. It's like the worst possible setup for airflow. I'm guessing it was an issue with the size of the radiators and cost.

Not to mention the waaay undersized un-shrouded fan.

Comment

I found the biggest radiator fans I could fit on the radiators 14" SPALs. and I had to deal with the issue of the radiators being made with the outlets on the same side. (I wanted a mirrored pair.) I brought them to a local shop and had them move the ports and fabricate shrouds and standoffs for mounting. They came out great.

The other owner installed a Holley fuel pump and I have been having issues with that as well. Overheating and surging. A couple weeks ago, the carb seemed to go and fuel started gushing out of the carb. Scary.. (really scary)... I mean gushing like a fountain. So I bought a new carb and Viola! Same problem... ARGHHHH!

I had to web ferret more info and found out that some fuel pumps over pressure the carb and blow past the float seals. So I got a cheap regulator to see if that fixed the problem and it did... Phew... but then, the fuel pump burned out. LOL .. One thing after the other... After much swearing I began to research that problem too and I discovered that fuel pumps with no bypass can easily burn out because they build up too much backpressure and it kills the pump. Makes sense, so the solution was to run a regulator with a bypass that sends the unused fuel back into the tanks. Well, go figure.. there was no place to install the return line. There was the Vent, which I considered Using Y fitting on, but I was worried about filling the vent line with fuel, so I had to man up and install a return path. I wound up adding it into the sender cap. 1/4 inch line and it all seems to be working well now. If it all holds up I may redesign the fuel tanks for more capacity and better bung layout. ( I can't type bung without a mental image of Beevis). The tanks only currently hold about 11 gallons of fuel, so the new ones will hold more. I have not hard mounted all the parts yet, that will come after the testing.

I only had to order about 237,834 items to make the new radiator layout work, so that's good news. So I am still waiting on a few parts to get it all installed. The outlet from the thermostat is 1.5 inch, the inlet for the water pump 1.75 inch.. the inlets for the radiators 32mm... you get the picture. I'm running the radiators in parallel, so I am going to tee off the 1.5 inch line into two 32mm lines. Then back into 1.5 inch lines as I lead back into the water pump with a final piece of 1.75 inch at the end. I am also redoing the overflow tank and making it a pressurized system. The old overflow tank was nowhere near the highest point in the cooling system. So that really needed to be addressed as well. It's funny to see how many things get done that look legit from a distance, but fall apart in the details.

More pictures and info to follow. I am hoping some of this info will help other builders.

Peace,
          Gumby

Comment

Originally posted by gumby69 View Post
            ... It's funny to see how many things get done that look legit from a distance, but fall apart in the details.

More pictures and info to follow. I am hoping some of this info will help other builders.

I read your thread just now. I just got a Testarossa, I don't have a CT. However, I do have plenty of those "look legit from a distance, but fall apart in the details" kind of things. Like... the headlights, the side fins, the (lack of) door handles... lol

Anyway, I'm glad to see you are working on your car, and I'm glad you are sharing your journey here.

Comment

Got more done... I fit the shrouds to the fans Drilled mounting holes and dry fit the radiators. They look like they will work really well.

Here is a picture of the new fuel sender unit with the return line fit into the cap.

I thought I would also show a side by side pic of the old/new radiators so you can see the difference in radiator size and fan size.

I can't wait to see how the new radiators perform. I have to finish plumbing everything before the actual testing.

Peace,
              Gumby

Comment

Hi Gumby , You might find this page useful as it shows the restoration of a OEM car there are dozens of photos, as Daniel has gone down to bare chassis resto on 3 OEM Countachs the page i have linked shows the shrouds that go infront of the radiators, so should give you some ideas of whats needed to keep things cool for your car.
                Regards
                Graeme
                http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/lam...ration-17.html

and Joes Resto
                http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/lam...draft-210.html

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X