Dino LS3 V8 / 88 Dino 3.4 / AD355 3800 / 88 Fiero GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dino LS3 V8 / 88 Dino 3.4 / AD355 3800 / 88 Fiero GT

After following this forum for well over a decade, I figured I should start a build thread for my projects. On the one hand, after seeing all the skill and genius of Dave, Macgyver, SactoDreamer, etc. etc. I don't feel worthy. Nonetheless, this thread may provide some entertainment as well as forum to showcase the ingenuity and imagination of fellow forum members - especially for the fading interest in these earlier model Ferraris.

I invite you to start with a project I just took over from the late Jim Buell. There is an amazing build thread V8 Archie did:

246 Dino LSx Replica Build - Pennock's Fiero Forum

Here are a recent pic from Trident Auto Shop where the car currently is. Getting ready for paint. I found it interesting that the original Dino didn't necessarily have side view mirrors and that they were often put on later. Thus, while some might decry the choice for mirrors I made, they are the rare POWERED PowerSport mirrors that GM made for only 2 years. I think they are the perfect for the Dino
    Attached Files

Looks great bud. Those mirrors complement the car well too.

Comment

We would love to have you here. KelmarkGT.freeforums.org • Index page Even if it is on a fiero chassis.

Comment

turn signals

The early model Dinos had no rear side blinker and the one up from was a small circular one. The European front blinkers were also slanted. I prefer the late models with the inset. For my Dino I've had since '92 I put on some old Alfa Romeo ones (pictured with a plant I bought at the nursery). I've rebuilt the front 88 suspension and powder coated the front cross member and now plan to upgrade it and Jim Buell's project to the later model Dino insets. These were actually shared parts with Fiat so the Fiat 124 turn signals are essentially identical.
        Attached Files

Comment

Ah Lurate;

You got Jim Buell's Dino. Excellent. I was very interested but didn't have the time or money. Looking forward to more pictures.

Cheers
          Don
          308 Ferrari replica
          Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Don, You would have done her justice! How many of these projects do you have now? May have time this weekend to work on the aftermarket speedo fix you posted a while back.

Originally posted by Don View Post
            Ah Lurate;

You got Jim Buell's Dino. Excellent. I was very interested but didn't have the time or money. Looking forward to more pictures.

Cheers
            Don

Comment

Dino LS3 V8 paint teaser

I know everyone has their opinion on paint. The V8 Dino getting done now. Can see Archie's big brake upgrade but need to decide best way to mount the OEM 5 X 100 wheels
              Attached Files

Comment

Dino 3.4 revamp update. I replaced the front suspension with a powder coated front cross arm and powder coated components, new bushings, etc. I've got new Fiberglass front end, hood and trunk lid from Norm for serious update replacing my 24 year old pieces. Since I was having a little issue with 3rd gear and leaking a little from the transmission, I've been looking around and found a brand new G6 6 speed. Now with Archie's kit, I plan on marrying it to my recent 3.4 swap.
                Attached Files

Comment

Niiice! I wondered where the Archie LS3 Dino disappeared to. I'll be watching with interest!

Comment

Nice to see you're doing it justice !! Great work !

Comment

New front end components look great! Nice find on the G6, that should be a super set up with the 3.4.

Was so glad to hear that somebody got all of Archie's work to build on. Gonna be a very nice ride.

Watching with full attention.

Don't be shy with the updates/pics. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to share your endeavor.

Comment

Do you have a good full side view of either of your cars? I am considering buying one of Norms kits. Every picture I have seen is a 3/4 view.

How does the Fiero kit compare in length and width to original Dino? I know Norm took molds from original but curious if it has been widened, narrowed, lengthened or shortened?

Progress looks great!

Comment

Well...after all these years you'd think I'd have a side view picture. Trying to find one I did come across the original info packet from Carter Conversions. Robert Carter is the one that was selling the kit for many years. I think he and Norm did up the molds?. In any event Robert moved to New Mexico and Norm has the molds. I've recently obtained brand new front clip, front hood and rear decklid from Norm that look great. Jim Buell's Dino LS3 V8 I bought is in Texas getting the final engine tune and body work. I'm hoping to bring it home within a month or two. The 88 Dino 3.4 is at least that far off. I hope to have the final pieces of Archie's G6 conversion in 2 weeks then off for the new body work. If you want, I could email you the 3 page info packet from Carter Conversions. Quoting from the original info:

"In terms of similarities, there are only fractions of an inch differences in both length and width between the two cars; front/rear weight distribution is virtually identical (43%/57%); both GT machines feature a V6 powerplant; both are two-seater, mid-engine configuration; the Fiero stops quicker, goes faster in the 1/4 mile and even with a 1.3" longer wheelbase, is more nimble through slalom cones."

I would be willing to sell one of the Dino projects.....
                          Last edited by lurate; 05-13-2015, 11:26 PM. Reason: enhanced and spell check

Comment

Originally posted by bgullatt View Post
                            Do you have a good full side view of either of your cars? I am considering buying one of Norms kits. Every picture I have seen is a 3/4 view.

How does the Fiero kit compare in length and width to original Dino? I know Norm took molds from original but curious if it has been widened, narrowed, lengthened or shortened?

Progress looks great!
                            Hello and thankyou for your interest, doubt as I would build anymore and I don't want to hijack this thread any further. Also I'd like to express my appreciation for this very nice thread. Yes the molds were off a 246 which we then made to conform to the Fiero which shares almost the same wheelbase. The green house area is wider on the Fiero so overall we did make it wider to fit. The Fiero is a little taller so there are some concessions, but the fenders doors are very close. We used to make bumpers that a few actual 246 owners installed on their cars so the shape on the corners is the same. Also we made one convertible, that was to me beautiful.

Last edited by normsf; 05-13-2015, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X