No announcement yet.

My LP670-SV Changeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the noise in the cockpit from drone? Or just a loud exhaust?

Comment

• Originally posted by Casper View Post
      Is the noise in the cockpit from drone? Or just a loud exhaust?
      Loud exhaust
      Without talent experience is worthless

Comment

• Originally posted by murcie-me View Post
        Nope, that'll never happen hahaha. Like I said before, im just not that much of a car guy, and I have no interest in designing a car. The only reason I've ever worked on my car was because it was the only way I would get it built right and at the quality level I wanted.
        From the beginning of my build, I just wanted to be the guy who wrote the checks. I had no interest in building anything on my car, but the more I saw the poor quality of work that was being done on my car at top prices, the more I realized the only way I was going to get the car I wanted was to do it myself. I would explain to builders exactly what I wanted, showed them pictures and so forth, and no matter how much extra they said it would cost their quality was still crap and the finished product was worthless. I literally wasted about $16K paying people to do jobs they had no clue how to do (even though they assured me they did), and quality that was amateur at best. One guy actually wanted to charge me $6K to make my batwings work, he came up with this whole cock&bull story about all the custom parts he had to mill, special bearings that had to be made and so on. It cost me $75 in parts and about 8 hours of my labor to make them work.
        No, I have zero interest in designing and building a custom car. There are things I would much rather be doing than laying up fiberglass, sanding bondo and welding steel.

Well Mike you know how to get shit done right and on time better than most "true car guys" I think you'd build a great car from your own design but I understand the frustrations of letting someone else do some of the work for you. I've had many hustlers tell me they could do some work for an extreme amount of labor. I hate it more when they lie to you in your face.

I'm telling with that now with my Corvette people telling me that an optispark job will cost me 2k. It's annoying. I got the parts I just need the tools and the place to do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by VF1Skullangel View Post

I'm telling with that now with my Corvette people telling me that an optispark job will cost me 2k. It's annoying. I got the parts I just need the tools and the place to do it.

I just did mine a couple of months ago. I have it down to less then 3 hours. (still sux though)

Best thread ever Mike!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Casper View Post
            He is just recreating the stock SV wing. Im sure he has already seen it a thousand times. It will look great.
            Well, you taught me something Thanks. Had never seen it.

Comment

• Originally posted by VF1Skullangel View Post
              Have you ever been ref'ed by the state smog reffery? I have and I can tell you this is the steps they gave me.... When building a kit car you'll also have to be inspected by the CHP as apart of the SB100 process, I also was told by the DMV here in San Marcos to do that too.... But apparently you're some kind of expert that knows otherwise....
              I put MY OWN car through SB100 step by step last year. Talked to 3 refs at 2 different BAR stations in person AND the regional manager in sacramento. Took months to go through all the steps and inspections, but my 3800SC car is now smog exempt forever per SB100 and I have all the tags, stickers and documents to prove it. It is also smog exempt in nevada. So i can confidently say you don't know what you're talking about (about SB100 AND engine conversions).

Just because the politicians give 500 yearly SB100 exemptions to get some votes DOES NOT mean the DMV likes to exempt people from SMOG requirements by giving them out. It is NOT in their interest to give these exemptions, it just gives them more work to do, so they will not make it easy. Bet on it.
              Last edited by Corson008; 09-20-2015, 05:11 AM.

Comment

• Yeah, I figured it would be a big hurdle dealing with the morons at the DMV, making a car smog exempt goes against everything the Liberals in power here are demanding, not to mention the money they lose from smog fee's.

Comment

• Wow,
                  We basically build our own chassis, have them exrayd, fit whatever motor gives the most power from the jap importers, police clearance, roadworthiness test "of which you can get at the right price" & away you go.
                  Registered as a home built, after that, we can basically do with the cars as we like.
                  Sometimes its nice living in a lawless place. Lol

MM, I think the police just pull you over to take a good look at the honeys in the passenger seat
                  www.osicustomcars.com

https://za.pinterest.com/cd9984/pins/

Comment

• Originally posted by murcie-me View Post
                    Yeah, I figured it would be a big hurdle dealing with the morons at the DMV, making a car smog exempt goes against everything the Liberals in power here are demanding, not to mention the money they lose from smog fee's.
                    The smog thing here is such a scam.

Comment

• Today I got my wing attached to the stands, so here are some pictures of how I did it. I left the top and bottom half of the wing separated after I made the parts so I could glass the bottom half to the stands and then the top to the bottom.
                      First, I positioned the lower half of the wing on the stands, then drew their positions on the bottom with a Sharpie. I then cut a hole in the wing in those positions, about 1/8" inside the Sharpie line.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• The next step was to take a small sanding drum and sand a radius edge on the cut so the fiberglass matt would lay down around the corner easier. After repositioning the wing back on the stands, I taped off the stands and applied clay around the joint to prevent resin from dripping out of the joint and onto the sides of the stands. I applied 3 layers of matt all around the perimeter of the hole going down into the stand locking the two together.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• After the resin cured, I took the whole rear deck off to make sure everything was lining up properly, then reattached it to the car. The next step is to bond the upper half of the wing to the lower half, so I placed it in position and clamped the two together temporarily to make sure everything fits. Tomorrow I will bond the two together, then go around the perimeter with a few layers of matt to tie them together permanently.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Why have you decided to not redo the glass engine hatch? I really prefer the one you currently have over the sv hatch. I was just wondering if you also like it more?

Comment

• I prefer the one I have over the SV hatch as well, that's why I'm not going to change it out. I will re-do all the black areas in carbon fiber, but that's about it.

Comment

• Murcie-me - Fantastic job! When you are building these parts, like the wing and stands, how do you get the correct dimensions? Do you measure from the real cars, eyeball them from photos, use 3D models? Whatever you do they come out looking great.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X